Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Band of Brothers: Part 7 Ardennes Forest

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-01, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Band of Brothers: Part 7 Ardennes Forest

Great episode. This narrative centered around Sgt. Lipton while E Company was being blown to bits by German artillery. It showed how NCO's often keep the men together despite being lead by those who have no business being there.

I loved the part when Cpt. Winters tried to jump in and take Lt. Dykes place before Col. Sink yanked on his leash. And that Lt. (forgot his name, the one that allegedly gave smokes to POWs before shooting them) that eventually took command on that assault. Wow.

Hope we have men like Winters and Lipton in Afghanistan to lead our troops and bring'em home alive.
Old 10-15-01, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this was one of the best episodes in my opinion, i wonder what happens in the last episode to wrap everything up
Old 10-15-01, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you think I went a bit overboard on my foxhole cover?

Old 10-15-01, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kinda OT but do you know if they will be re-airing the earlier episodes anytime soon? My recording of episode 2 got corrupted and have been waiting for it to be re-aired before watching any of the others. They did a mini-marathon a few weeks ago... going to do another one soon?
Old 10-15-01, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the BEST episode yet! Man, that artillery fire was damned scary. And I'm really sorry to see one of the main characters go. I forgot his name, but it's Mr. Needle Pisser. ;-)

Ian: It's Lt. Spears. That is one tough mofo. I wonder if the stories about him are really true. The Kraut POW incident took place in Ep. 2, but we never get to actually see anyone getting killed. We just hear the gunshots.

Jeraden: I'm sure HBO will re-broadcast the eps once the first run is through.
Old 10-15-01, 11:28 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
"Mr. Needle Pisser" = Sgt. Bill Garnere

--HN
Old 10-15-01, 11:40 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by Tesiae
The Kraut POW incident took place in Ep. 2, but we never get to actually see anyone getting killed. We just hear the gunshots.
I think if I saw him approach the POWs and then heard his Tommy gun a beat later ... I'd think he shot them also.
Old 10-15-01, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Blaster1
this was one of the best episodes in my opinion, i wonder what happens in the last episode to wrap everything up
It was THE best episode IMO. I'm not sure how bright their new LT is (see episode 2 and the taking of the gun), but it was obvious he had balls.
Old 10-15-01, 12:45 PM

I thought it was really good too.. And I liked the fact they focued on St. Lipton because he one of my fave character (next to Winters and a couple others)
Old 10-15-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was my favorite episode too. Lt. Spears is an interesting character. Watching the Germans'm expressions when he ran right through them was amazing. I'm glad they focused on Sgt. Lipton, great character.
Old 10-15-01, 07:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Great episode. A lot of unexpected things happened and it really kept m on my tows. Can't wait for next Sunday.
Old 10-15-01, 10:27 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hooray! I was so proud of Sgt. Donnie.

Man, there were some amazing battle scenes. And Spears running through the German line to communicate with I Company! Holy cow! That is written about in the book. Haven't read the whole thing to see if the rest of his stories are true.

Wehrmacht bad!
Old 10-15-01, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seeing as how these are true stories, I wonder what Lt. Dike's family thinks about his portrayal. What I love about the show is that it's not at all "Rah-rah!" patriotic like SPR was. The boys aren't there for country or for ideology. They're there for their pals.

I hope that at the end of the show, we get to see who exactly all the old men are and who portrayed them in the series.
Old 10-16-01, 12:09 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Tesiae

I hope that at the end of the show, we get to see who exactly all the old men are and who portrayed them in the series.
I was thinking the same thing. Every episode starts with these guys and I'm wondering who they actually are. Maybe they should identify them as they're talking? Hopefully there's a documentary that will ID them planned for the DVD set.
Old 10-16-01, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrN

I was thinking the same thing. Every episode starts with these guys and I'm wondering who they actually are. Maybe they should identify them as they're talking? Hopefully there's a documentary that will ID them planned for the DVD set.
I think they aren't identifying them because it will distract people because then when they watch the episode, some people might start thinking about the old version of the man sitting and talking.

They'll probably do what they did for "From the Earth to the Moon", which was show the pictures and the names of all the Apollo astronauts.

Matt
Old 10-16-01, 12:17 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by MvRojo

I think they aren't identifying them because it will distract people because then when they watch the episode, some people might start thinking about the old version of the man sitting and talking.

Matt

Actually, if we knew who the old guys are then we know who makes it out alive huh? Ok, I prefer it the way it is.
Old 10-16-01, 12:19 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
For sure the best episode so far, and the one that hit the hardest, seeing the people you had grown to like lose there will (Buck) in the face of severe adversity is tough.

The 1st few episodes I was still trying to figure out who the hell were main characters and who were just secondary etc.

I liked Donnie, he's been a rock for the troop the whole time, always the one to break the bad news about going back to the front. The guys respect him a lot which is sweet.

The old Foxhole Norman dude, I mean what the hell, let's all stop here in the middle of the open space, and get shot at. Nice.

Sad though how the men had to follow his orders.

Winters is awesome and the spears guy was also pretty cool, he handled donnie real nice in the end.

Great episode.
Old 10-17-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

FYI, the first vetran giving his accounts at the beginning of Episode 7 : The Breaking Point is Winters. I'm not sure who any of the rest are though. I don't really think that's a spoiler for anyone since they ended the episode with a quote from Winters, obviously taken after the war.

This series has been excellent so far, but episode 7... wow! That was amazing. I've read a few reviews for the show, and most seem to mention episodes 6, 7, and 9 as being the best... though I think a couple thought Episode 9 : Why We Fight, was the best one, or at least the most heartwrenching, as it's about the liberation of one of the concentration camps.

Brian

Last edited by bdshort; 10-17-01 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-17-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show is like cocaine....you would think I was staring at a group of naked women the way I am glued to the TV every Sunday and Wednesday night....

I love this show....odds on it becoming a DVD???
Old 10-17-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
This show is like cocaine....you would think I was staring at a group of naked women the way I am glued to the TV every Sunday and Wednesday night....

I love this show....odds on it becoming a DVD???

Judging from HBO's past series, From the EArth to the Moon, that is on DVD the odds are pretty good you'll see this one on DVD as well. Nothing official, but I imagine everyone would be stunned if it wasn't released on DVD
Old 10-17-01, 03:58 PM

I thought this was the best episode yet and I really liked the narration of Liption's character. It's amazing.....I spent the first 2-3 episodes learning who these guys were and spent the next three growing with them. It hit me hard not seeing Guarnere, Toye, and Compton any more.....I can't imagen what it was like for them spending almost two years together. I guess that's what the show is all about, right. Anyway, my man is Speirs. This guy is nuts, but he is the first one I want to fight with. I think the lasting image of this series for me will be Speirs running through the cloud of smoke left by a tank blast right before he tells Dyke he is relieving him. Awsome
Old 10-17-01, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by djbrown

Judging from HBO's past series, From the EArth to the Moon, that is on DVD the odds are pretty good you'll see this one on DVD as well. Nothing official, but I imagine everyone would be stunned if it wasn't released on DVD

this site has the dvd release in Fall 2002

http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/bandofbrothers/
Old 10-17-01, 06:10 PM
Banned

The only problem I had with this episode was the director’s take on the kill radius of an artillery shell. Those things were going off 5 feet behind some guys and they were fine. I thought the whole point of artillery was that you didn’t need the head shot to kill someone.
Otherwise…cool!
Old 10-18-01, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've got nothing intelligent to say (what's new) other than I agree ... best episode so far.

das
Old 10-18-01, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seriously, I'm really gonna miss Garnere. Every Company needs the "joker," the "kidder," to lighten the mood.