Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friends Oct. 11 2001

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Friends Oct. 11 2001

Man, Phoebe & Joey definitely will hook up now. The writers are just setting the stage.......... besides that, the whole peanut thing was overblown; good for one laugh, not 10. Tribbiani was in top form though..... so i give it a 6.5/10.
Old 10-12-01, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Joey and Phoebe's subplot was easily the best of the show. The shrill Monica does not resemble the original character at all.
Old 10-12-01, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm getting pretty sick of monica
Ross got on my nerves in the beginning of the episode but he was good in the second half (after he found out about Rachel)
Pheobe and Joey are cute- I look forward to seeing what will happen with them

overall- good episode
Old 10-12-01, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I laughed out loud when she told Ross about the baby...and the following 10 or 11 seconds.

I hate to say it but I'd like the show better without Monica and Chandler. Each are ok with the others......but they're a horrible couple and very annoying when on screen together.

Joey just gets better and better.

And Phoebe has always been the most consistently funny Friend and therefore goes unnoticed because it's just expected.

She didn't have much to do in this episode but after the company decides to stop screwing us with Best of Dvds/VHS and starts Season One on dvd I think we'll really be able to tell where this show officially went wrong.
Old 10-12-01, 10:05 AM

My, er, girlfriend missed it last night and wanted to know what happened. Can anyone give a brief rundown via SPOILERS? You know, so that I can relay it to her...
Old 10-12-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Zien
My, er, girlfriend missed it last night and wanted to know what happened. Can anyone give a brief rundown via SPOILERS? You know, so that I can relay it to her...
if u want to, download it on irc. Else here are the spoilers
Spoiler:

So Rachel goes looking for Ross. But Ross meets Phoebe & Joey first and he tells them that he slept with Rachel. They tell him that she wants to see him and he thinks it's because she wants to get back together. So he goes and finds her waiting outside his apartment. She finally tells him she's the father, and he just stares off into space for about 10 secs (and a commercial!). Finally, Ross is still staring off into space, so Rachel leaves. Ross catches up with Rachel at her OB/GYN and they look at her sonogram. Rachel is upset because she can't see the baby but Ross shows her where it is on the sonogram. Then they both go back and show Joey and Ross the sonogram. Rachel makes a big deal about not seeing the baby again. Anyway..... Monica and Chandler are off on their honeymoon, and are at the airport. But this couple ahead of them get an upgrade to first class because they are on their honeymoon. When Monica asks for an upgrade, the agent says that couple got the last seats. Then Monica & Chandler try to sneak into the 1st class lounge and gets caught. Finally they get to their honeymoon hotel and that same couple gets a free upgrade to the honeymoon suite. So Monica gets pissed and yells at them, and they hand over the honeymoon suite. That's all she wrote.....
Old 10-12-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it was a good episode. i thought the baby peanut scene was funny. definitely the show was been on a downward spiral since like the 4th or 5th season but it is still funny in parts. i agree that they need to take monica's voice down a notch or two. i'm not sure when they started making ross and monica so much more neurotic but i don't like it.

Spoiler:
the scene where joey finds out about condoms being only 97% effective was hilarious
Old 10-12-01, 11:35 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ross became neurotic relatively early on, and it makes sense from a character standpoint, considering what his first wife did to him (they even had an episode dealing with how his personality has shifted since those events).

Monica is a less logical case for her neuroticism, which seems to have come more out of the clear blue, but I think it stems from the fact that, at the beginning of the series, Courteney Cox (as the only really established actor on the show at that point) was meant to represent the straight man, surrounded by her group of wacky friends. As the show evolved, as they are all wont to do, it became obvious that, for the character of Monica to not appear to be utterly dull, she would need to be given her own unique character eccentricity--thus, her neurotic need to have everything in its place. Along those same lines, as the cast became more comfortable with their characters, they began to stretch the boundaries of their performances, to fans' delight. Arguably, they may have gone too far as of late (though personally, I still think FRIENDS blows any other presently-running sitcom out of the water), but it's clear that the creative talent of the show has reason to feel that the heart of the show belongs in a more slapstick place than when it premiered years ago...
Old 10-12-01, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My concise and yet truthful analysis of last night's show:

Spoiler:
It sucked.

Old 10-12-01, 12:16 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
after the company decides to stop screwing us with Best of Dvds/VHS and starts Season One on dvd I think we'll really be able to tell where this show officially went wrong.

That would be when the Ross/Rachel thing became a hit the first time and so they decided to repeat the story every season.
Old 10-12-01, 12:33 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I like the show, it is the one show I watch without fail.
I like the characters, some are worse than others, but it's like someone above said the best sitcom on TV.

Last night's episode was a bit slower than some of late, but still had some good moments,
Spoiler:
Joey with the Condoms was hilarious.

It was a nice storyline with Ross and Rachel, handled well as it is a difficult situation, I liked how phoebe responded to Joey asking for them to get together, she and he are getting the best lines.

chandler is weak now he is with monica, they need to have a fight and hae him move in with ross for a while or something.

Monica's just plain annoying and always has been.

just my 2 pfennings
Old 10-12-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
just my 2 pfennings
what's a pfenning?

i just wanted to add that now that i think about it, ross's reaction to the baby news is probably somewhat normal. i'm not sure that i would have called the condom company and yelled at them but i'd definitely be really shocked. 97% though. i always thought it was a little higher for some reason.
Old 10-12-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
My concise and yet truthful analysis of last night's show:

Spoiler:
It sucked.

Spoiler:
Threadcrapping sucks.
Old 10-13-01, 07:41 PM

I thought that eps was okay. Joey and Pheobe had the best parts. But after reading everyone cooments, I think I realized one of the reason why I think Chandler isn't as fun. Most of the series, he was this guy who was cute but wasn't able to get girl because he was sort of goofy. I think that was when he was at his best. After he got the girl, it just wasn't as good

The expression on Ross after he found out that he was the father was classic . And I've have had the "What? only 97%??" descussion with one of my ex in the past
Old 10-14-01, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheEdge21
I thought that eps was okay. Joey and Pheobe had the best parts. But after reading everyone cooments, I think I realized one of the reason why I think Chandler isn't as fun. Most of the series, he was this guy who was cute but wasn't able to get girl because he was sort of goofy. I think that was when he was at his best. After he got the girl, it just wasn't as good

Didn't think of it that way, but now that I do, you're right. Chandler needs to be wanting something.... it's only then that he is his own self.