Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

One and Only Charmed Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

One and Only Charmed Thread

Old 10-26-01, 04:40 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,849
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I've finally gotten caught up on Charmed so I can join in now. I've been a fan since the first episode, and I still really enjoy it. I love Cole and Leo - and what they add to the show, but then I'm a girl so I need some eye candy too.

real life tidbit, don't read it if you don't want to know about who Alyssa is dating
Spoiler:
Incidentally, I thought it was WEIRD when I found out Alyssa Milano and the guy playing Leo are a couple in real life - bizzaro.


Back to the show - I always liked Pru - the older sister bossy dynamic rang true to me. And I liked Andy, too. Sorry to see both of them go. But I think Rose McGowan is starting to fit in. I'm liking the character more each episode. The irresponsible bit was done in a way that made me not like Paige very much, whereas Phoebe was able to pull it off and make it seem "right" not just annoying. So I was really glad to see Paige start to take her role as a witch more seriously.

I was also glad to see Piper getting rid of the chip on her shoulder - it makes no sense for them not to tell Paige everything as fast as possible. I'd stay up all night telling her the really important stuff, and fill in the rest later (repeating important things and explaining consequences so that she'd "get it"). But then, I learn just as easily by example as by making the mistakes myself, whereas Paige seems to be one of those stubborn people (not that I'm not stubborn but I recognize when I don't know something and someone else does) who must make every mistake for themselves.

I like the fact that now the sisters have a new dynamic, because that is what would happen if the middle and baby sisters became the oldest and middle sisters. Dynamics always change when you add someone new into the mix. And birth order is a really universal way to "decide" who plays what role - the one in the middle when it comes to understanding the other two (thus becoming the peacemaker) is often the one chronologically in the middle. Plus, Phoebe understands Paige much better than Piper does, so it makes sense that whereas Piper made peace between Pru and Phoebe because she hated the bickering, Phoebe is the peacemaker between Piper and Paige because she understands them both.

As for the rest of the critiques thus far on the actresses...no comment is the nicest and most pleasant way for me to respond, but I will say this. The ACTING ability of Rose McGowan seems good so far to me, so offensive comments regarding appearance (ever heard of skin cancer?!? lots of people have pale skin naturally thus are more susceptible to it) will be ignored.
Old 10-26-01, 04:43 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,849
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
...What was up when Phoebe got shrunk and she "flew" to the cupboard to rescue the other girl? I thought she could only levitate (a la Matrix)? Or was it because she was so small, she was able to levitate higher? ...
Phoebe said that she thought it was really cool that her levitating ability made her almost fly when she was so small because she was so light. But I thought I remembered that she DID fly a couple of times on previous seasons - she couldn't control the power so flew over SF and Pru was scared someone saw her - seems to me it happened once at night and once in the daytime.
Old 10-26-01, 05:24 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mt. Olympus
Posts: 11,818
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
Well I've finally gotten caught up on Charmed so I can join in now. I've been a fan since the first episode, and I still really enjoy it. I love Cole and Leo - and what they add to the show, but then I'm a girl so I need some eye candy too.
Well, it's certainly refreshing to see somebody else discussing this TV show besides me, myself, and I.

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
real life tidbit, don't read it if you don't want to know about who Alyssa is dating
Spoiler:
Incidentally, I thought it was WEIRD when I found out Alyssa Milano and the guy playing Leo are a couple in real life - bizzaro.
Wow, I didn't know that....although I guess I'm not really surprised (since actors seem to hookup with each other a lot....kinda the same way coworkers hookup).

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess

Back to the show - I always liked Pru - the older sister bossy dynamic rang true to me. And I liked Andy, too. Sorry to see both of them go. But I think Rose McGowan is starting to fit in. I'm liking the character more each episode. The irresponsible bit was done in a way that made me not like Paige very much, whereas Phoebe was able to pull it off and make it seem "right" not just annoying. So I was really glad to see Paige start to take her role as a witch more seriously.
I'm an only child and so is my girlfriend so I don't really know how sibling dynamics work.

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess

I was also glad to see Piper getting rid of the chip on her shoulder - it makes no sense for them not to tell Paige everything as fast as possible. I'd stay up all night telling her the really important stuff, and fill in the rest later (repeating important things and explaining consequences so that she'd "get it"). But then, I learn just as easily by example as by making the mistakes myself, whereas Paige seems to be one of those stubborn people (not that I'm not stubborn but I recognize when I don't know something and someone else does) who must make every mistake for themselves.
All the sisters are stubborn. They must be Scorpios like me.

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess

I like the fact that now the sisters have a new dynamic, because that is what would happen if the middle and baby sisters became the oldest and middle sisters. Dynamics always change when you add someone new into the mix. And birth order is a really universal way to "decide" who plays what role - the one in the middle when it comes to understanding the other two (thus becoming the peacemaker) is often the one chronologically in the middle. Plus, Phoebe understands Paige much better than Piper does, so it makes sense that whereas Piper made peace between Pru and Phoebe because she hated the bickering, Phoebe is the peacemaker between Piper and Paige because she understands them both.
Like I said, I'm an only child.

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess

As for the rest of the critiques thus far on the actresses...no comment is the nicest and most pleasant way for me to respond, but I will say this. The ACTING ability of Rose McGowan seems good so far to me, so offensive comments regarding appearance (ever heard of skin cancer?!? lots of people have pale skin naturally thus are more susceptible to it) will be ignored.
Actually, I don't think Rose McGowan is that bad of an actor. Like I said in a previous post, I've seen worse. And that scene with the golem dude last night..."Hi remember me? The girl with the melons?" That was classic. She plays a vamp quite well. The previews for the next show look interesting:
Spoiler:
It looks like an evil side of Paige will come out....I like it when they show the evil side to the sisters....the whole human morality thing is cool, considering that you have these superpowers that no one else has. Kinda makes me wonder what I'd do if I had superpowers...


And as for the whole skin cancer/pale skin thing...I'm from Hawaii so I'm just used to seeing people with a little more tone in their skin.

Old 10-26-01, 05:29 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mt. Olympus
Posts: 11,818
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WarriorPrincess

Phoebe said that she thought it was really cool that her levitating ability made her almost fly when she was so small because she was so light. But I thought I remembered that she DID fly a couple of times on previous seasons - she couldn't control the power so flew over SF and Pru was scared someone saw her - seems to me it happened once at night and once in the daytime.
You might be right. I vaguely recall her flying before...but I'm not sure. You're not thinking of the time she was a banshee are you? Was she flying then?

Ahh heck, I can't remember straight. Anyway, I don't really like the idea that she can fly (unless it's on a broomstick )...it just seems kinda lame. Levitating is alright, but flying seems to be going a bit too far.

Old 10-26-01, 06:06 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 1,849
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeus I can't remember if it was the banshee episode or not - but I think it was just her new power out of control. But my memory is not what it used to be.

As for being an only child - I might as well have been one (my only brother is 7 years older than me) but I was a Psychology/Child Development major, so I had a LOT of classes that dealt with siblings and birth order and family dynamics.

As for being in Hawaii, you lucky god of thunder you, no wonder you're used to tan people! You'd be surprised at the number of pale people in CA - even most of the tan ones get it from a bottle to be safe.

And add another Scorpio to the list of stubborn people.
Old 10-26-01, 06:08 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Mt. Olympus
Posts: 11,818
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
Zeus I can't remember if it was the banshee episode or not - but I think it was just her new power out of control. But my memory is not what it used to be.

As for being an only child - I might as well have been one (my only brother is 7 years older than me) but I was a Psychology/Child Development major, so I had a LOT of classes that dealt with siblings and birth order and family dynamics.

As for being in Hawaii, you lucky god of thunder you, no wonder you're used to tan people! You'd be surprised at the number of pale people in CA - even most of the tan ones get it from a bottle to be safe.

And add another Scorpio to the list of stubborn people.
Actually, I'm from Hawaii but I live in San Jose now (moved here last year).


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.