Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Major Victory for "Emeril" ... not the first new show to get canned

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-01, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Major Victory for "Emeril" ... not the first new show to get canned

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The first casualty of the fall season has been officially decided -- CBS pulled the plug "Danny" following the airing of its second episode.

A CBS source confirms to Zap2it.com that the comedy has been cancelled and removed from the network schedule. The reason behind the cancellation appears to be linked to "Danny's" failure to connect with audiences.

The sitcom, which premiered on Friday, Sept. 28 with a 4.1 rating/7 share, according to Nielsen's final national ratings, tied for 71st in the rankings for the week (along with "Cops" and "Smackdown" ). One week later, ratings dropped to a 1.8/6 in households, according to fast nationals, and a 1.7 among adults 18-49.

A source close to the show says production on the series was "abruptly" halted during the last day of production on the ninth episode.

"Danny Stern said he was 'disappointed, but proud of the episodes that had been produced,'" the source tells Zap2it.

"Danny" starred Stern as a recently divorced father of two who runs a community center. When not taking care of the kids, both at home and at work, Danny must confront his feelings for his ex-wife and get used to his second phase of bachelorhood. The series was one of many this season that featured a single father (see "Raising Dad," "The Education of Max Bickford" "One on One" and "Citizen Baines").

Out of a poll of over 1,000 Zap2it readers, most believed NBC's "Emeril" or CBS' "Wolf Lake" would be the first to go -- although in the comedy category, "Danny" was second on the list. Ten percent of those polled said that "Danny" would be the first new comedy canceled, while eight percent said it would be the first series canceled. In addition, over 20 percent said that CBS would be the first to axe a series.

Stern's publicist could not be reached for comment.
das
Old 10-09-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, so far both Wolf Lake and Emeril have made it to three episodes.
Old 10-09-01, 01:09 PM

Great subject line - ROFLMAO!!!
Old 10-09-01, 01:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

Gee whiz, I've never even heard of the show Danny... Emeril may or may not last, but at least I've heard of it!
Old 10-09-01, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

same here...haven't even heard of it...maybe if i saw a clip or a picture of the stars it might ring a bell
Old 10-09-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow ... I'm surprised no one's heard of this. To be fair, I don't think I saw but a few promos for it. It certainly wasn't hyped up like most shows. It probably got the same amount of ad time as Ellen. As for stars, it was Daniel Stern's project. Classic single dad show. Lord knows we have enough of those. With the networks jumping on some black single dad shows with Bernie Mac and My Wife and Kids, it's hard to see how another white guy single dad show would be anything but rehash of the same old stuff we've seen 1000 times. At least Damon and Bernie Mac will bring something new (you'd think).

das
Old 10-09-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
[...snip...] it's hard to see how another white guy single dad show would be anything but rehash of the same old stuff we've seen 1000 times. [...]
das
The white guy single-dad warmedy/sitcom has been a stale premise for at least a couple decades... For me, the pinnacle was Courtship of Eddie's Father in about 1970... Downhill ever since...
Old 10-09-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
The white guy single-dad warmedy/sitcom has been a stale premise for at least a couple decades... For me, the pinnacle was Courtship of Eddie's Father in about 1970... Downhill ever since...
Does My Two Dads count? That was TWO white guy single-dads warmedy/sitcom. But at least it had Dick Butkus.
Old 10-09-01, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Meatpants

Does My Two Dads count? That was TWO white guy single-dads warmedy/sitcom. But at least it had Dick Butkus.
And on to Full House ... television just gets better over the years [/sarcasm]

das
Old 10-09-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With the networks jumping on some black single dad shows with Bernie Mac and My Wife and Kids, das
my WIFE and kids is about a single dad?
Old 10-09-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New shows? How about shows that should have been canceled LAST year...... *cough* THREE SISTERS *cough* .........
Old 10-09-01, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Venusian

my WIFE and kids is about a single dad?
My God ... I really typed that, didn't I? I knew I was working too hard ... now I have proof. Will some of you come visit me in the looney bin?

das
Old 10-09-01, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Will some of you come visit me in the looney bin?

das
where is it? if its in Atlanta, I'll come by
Old 10-09-01, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

where is it? if its in Atlanta, I'll come by
This is das' friend, der Monkey. I'm using his account since the looney bin's not too keen on outside communication. Anyway, it's in Milledgeville ... surprised you haven't heard of it. das sends his regards.

der
Old 10-09-01, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Major Victory for "Emeril" ... not the first new show to get canned

"Danny Stern said he was 'disappointed, but proud of the episodes that had been produced,'" the source tells Zap2it.
Thats funny, I remember seeing a report (before the show even aired) that Stern hated the show and was trying to get out of his contract and/or sabotage the show.
Old 10-09-01, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Major Victory for "Emeril" ... not the first new show to get canned

Originally posted by Burnt Alive

Thats funny, I remember seeing a report (before the show even aired) that Stern hated the show and was trying to get out of his contract and/or sabotage the show.
Haha ... if only we had an 'E! Online Expert' to set things straight.

das
Old 10-09-01, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ahem...

This is Hilda, E!'s official internet expert for the now-defunct Danny, and let me tell you, is Mr. You-Know-Who (that's Stern, for those of you not in the know) is just fit to be tied about all this! I didn't actually get to see any of the series, since it got cancelled so quickly, but I can confirm without a doubt that this cancellation had to do with one thing, and one thing only... Ratings! Or rather, lack of them!

I hear Mr. Stern is really upset, but whether it's because the show was cancelled so early, or whether it's because he had issues with the creative team and didn't even like the show (this according to one very burning-hot internet source!) I'm not free to divulge...

Then again, maybe he was just upset because Fred Savage refused to provide the voice-over narration for his new show like he promised! ;)

Clever as always...
Hilda!!!

Old 10-09-01, 10:00 PM
Needs to provide a working email

same here...haven't even heard of it...maybe if i saw a clip or a picture of the stars it might ring a bell
Is this the one where the best they could come up with for a commercial is a scene where the tall white guy is talking to the small black girl in a ballerina outfit, discussing something about the girl not wanting to dance, or something like that?
Old 10-09-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by adamblast
Ahem...

This is Hilda, E!'s official internet expert for the now-defunct Danny, and let me tell you, is Mr. You-Know-Who (that's Stern, for those of you not in the know) is just fit to be tied about all this! I didn't actually get to see any of the series, since it got cancelled so quickly, but I can confirm without a doubt that this cancellation had to do with one thing, and one thing only... Ratings! Or rather, lack of them!

I hear Mr. Stern is really upset, but whether it's because the show was cancelled so early, or whether it's because he had issues with the creative team and didn't even like the show (this according to one very burning-hot internet source!) I'm not free to divulge...

Then again, maybe he was just upset because Fred Savage refused to provide the voice-over narration for his new show like he promised! ;)

It would be difficult for me to think of anything I hate more than those E! Online Experts (sic).

das
Old 10-10-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched Emeril last night. Much better episode than the other ones! Maybe it is improving?