Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Major Victory for "Emeril" ... not the first new show to get canned

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Major Victory for "Emeril" ... not the first new show to get canned

Old 10-09-01, 01:41 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major Victory for "Emeril" ... not the first new show to get canned

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The first casualty of the fall season has been officially decided -- CBS pulled the plug "Danny" following the airing of its second episode.

A CBS source confirms to Zap2it.com that the comedy has been cancelled and removed from the network schedule. The reason behind the cancellation appears to be linked to "Danny's" failure to connect with audiences.

The sitcom, which premiered on Friday, Sept. 28 with a 4.1 rating/7 share, according to Nielsen's final national ratings, tied for 71st in the rankings for the week (along with "Cops" and "Smackdown" ). One week later, ratings dropped to a 1.8/6 in households, according to fast nationals, and a 1.7 among adults 18-49.

A source close to the show says production on the series was "abruptly" halted during the last day of production on the ninth episode.

"Danny Stern said he was 'disappointed, but proud of the episodes that had been produced,'" the source tells Zap2it.

"Danny" starred Stern as a recently divorced father of two who runs a community center. When not taking care of the kids, both at home and at work, Danny must confront his feelings for his ex-wife and get used to his second phase of bachelorhood. The series was one of many this season that featured a single father (see "Raising Dad," "The Education of Max Bickford" "One on One" and "Citizen Baines").

Out of a poll of over 1,000 Zap2it readers, most believed NBC's "Emeril" or CBS' "Wolf Lake" would be the first to go -- although in the comedy category, "Danny" was second on the list. Ten percent of those polled said that "Danny" would be the first new comedy canceled, while eight percent said it would be the first series canceled. In addition, over 20 percent said that CBS would be the first to axe a series.

Stern's publicist could not be reached for comment.
das
Old 10-09-01, 01:45 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: new england
Posts: 8,173
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, so far both Wolf Lake and Emeril have made it to three episodes.
Old 10-09-01, 02:09 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Owings,MD,USA
Posts: 909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great subject line - ROFLMAO!!!
Old 10-09-01, 02:32 PM
  #4  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gee whiz, I've never even heard of the show Danny... Emeril may or may not last, but at least I've heard of it!
Old 10-09-01, 03:46 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same here...haven't even heard of it...maybe if i saw a clip or a picture of the stars it might ring a bell
Old 10-09-01, 04:35 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow ... I'm surprised no one's heard of this. To be fair, I don't think I saw but a few promos for it. It certainly wasn't hyped up like most shows. It probably got the same amount of ad time as Ellen. As for stars, it was Daniel Stern's project. Classic single dad show. Lord knows we have enough of those. With the networks jumping on some black single dad shows with Bernie Mac and My Wife and Kids, it's hard to see how another white guy single dad show would be anything but rehash of the same old stuff we've seen 1000 times. At least Damon and Bernie Mac will bring something new (you'd think).

das
Old 10-09-01, 04:58 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 11,466
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
[...snip...] it's hard to see how another white guy single dad show would be anything but rehash of the same old stuff we've seen 1000 times. [...]
das
The white guy single-dad warmedy/sitcom has been a stale premise for at least a couple decades... For me, the pinnacle was Courtship of Eddie's Father in about 1970... Downhill ever since...
Old 10-09-01, 05:31 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,681
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
The white guy single-dad warmedy/sitcom has been a stale premise for at least a couple decades... For me, the pinnacle was Courtship of Eddie's Father in about 1970... Downhill ever since...
Does My Two Dads count? That was TWO white guy single-dads warmedy/sitcom. But at least it had Dick Butkus.
Old 10-09-01, 05:33 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants


Does My Two Dads count? That was TWO white guy single-dads warmedy/sitcom. But at least it had Dick Butkus.
And on to Full House ... television just gets better over the years [/sarcasm]

das
Old 10-09-01, 06:05 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
With the networks jumping on some black single dad shows with Bernie Mac and My Wife and Kids, das
my WIFE and kids is about a single dad?
Old 10-09-01, 06:10 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New shows? How about shows that should have been canceled LAST year...... *cough* THREE SISTERS *cough* .........
Old 10-09-01, 06:52 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian


my WIFE and kids is about a single dad?
My God ... I really typed that, didn't I? I knew I was working too hard ... now I have proof. Will some of you come visit me in the looney bin?

das
Old 10-09-01, 07:40 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey


Will some of you come visit me in the looney bin?

das
where is it? if its in Atlanta, I'll come by
Old 10-09-01, 08:18 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian


where is it? if its in Atlanta, I'll come by
This is das' friend, der Monkey. I'm using his account since the looney bin's not too keen on outside communication. Anyway, it's in Milledgeville ... surprised you haven't heard of it. das sends his regards.

der
Old 10-09-01, 08:26 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 1,129
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Major Victory for "Emeril" ... not the first new show to get canned

Originally posted by das Monkey

"Danny Stern said he was 'disappointed, but proud of the episodes that had been produced,'" the source tells Zap2it.
Thats funny, I remember seeing a report (before the show even aired) that Stern hated the show and was trying to get out of his contract and/or sabotage the show.
Old 10-09-01, 08:44 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Major Victory for "Emeril" ... not the first new show to get canned

Originally posted by Burnt Alive


Thats funny, I remember seeing a report (before the show even aired) that Stern hated the show and was trying to get out of his contract and/or sabotage the show.
Haha ... if only we had an 'E! Online Expert' to set things straight.

das
Old 10-09-01, 09:50 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lompoc, CA
Posts: 11,466
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahem...

This is Hilda, E!'s official internet expert for the now-defunct Danny, and let me tell you, is Mr. You-Know-Who (that's Stern, for those of you not in the know) is just fit to be tied about all this! I didn't actually get to see any of the series, since it got cancelled so quickly, but I can confirm without a doubt that this cancellation had to do with one thing, and one thing only... Ratings! Or rather, lack of them!

I hear Mr. Stern is really upset, but whether it's because the show was cancelled so early, or whether it's because he had issues with the creative team and didn't even like the show (this according to one very burning-hot internet source!) I'm not free to divulge...

Then again, maybe he was just upset because Fred Savage refused to provide the voice-over narration for his new show like he promised! ;)

Clever as always...
Hilda!!!

Old 10-09-01, 11:00 PM
  #18  
Needs to provide a working email
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Formerly known as Darrin Garrison
Posts: 3,321
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian
same here...haven't even heard of it...maybe if i saw a clip or a picture of the stars it might ring a bell
Is this the one where the best they could come up with for a commercial is a scene where the tall white guy is talking to the small black girl in a ballerina outfit, discussing something about the girl not wanting to dance, or something like that?
Old 10-09-01, 11:22 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
das Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 35,881
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
Ahem...

This is Hilda, E!'s official internet expert for the now-defunct Danny, and let me tell you, is Mr. You-Know-Who (that's Stern, for those of you not in the know) is just fit to be tied about all this! I didn't actually get to see any of the series, since it got cancelled so quickly, but I can confirm without a doubt that this cancellation had to do with one thing, and one thing only... Ratings! Or rather, lack of them!

I hear Mr. Stern is really upset, but whether it's because the show was cancelled so early, or whether it's because he had issues with the creative team and didn't even like the show (this according to one very burning-hot internet source!) I'm not free to divulge...


Then again, maybe he was just upset because Fred Savage refused to provide the voice-over narration for his new show like he promised! ;)


It would be difficult for me to think of anything I hate more than those E! Online Experts (sic).

das
Old 10-10-01, 02:50 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched Emeril last night. Much better episode than the other ones! Maybe it is improving?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.