Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Looking for Input.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Input.....

Hi guys, I'm currently working on a website that will focus on a TV show. I am going to have forums and such, but was wondering what content you would look for at a one-stop source for a certain TV show.

So far, I've got:
Episodes (in depth coverage)
Cast (pictures, bios)
Downloads (screensavers, backgrounds, sounds, movie clips)

What else would you want? I'd like to make it a great site, and I'll let you guys know first when I open it up.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well... If it's gonna be really a site for crazed fans the episodes section should have a summary as well as the full script.
Cast info - pretty standard here; I don't know what you could add.
Downloads are very important. The music of each episode is a cool feature, but then it depends on the show if it's really something people would be after.
I guess you cannot offer full episodes for download. That would definitely make for a successful site :-)

Then you could have spoilers if you can get scripts in advance or other such info.
You should have a news section with air-dates, reruns, etc. Depending on how much time you want to spend updating it you could have links to current articles related to the show...

Anyway, what show is it?
Old 10-08-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are these scripts usually available somewhere or does someone actually transcribe the whole thing?

I doubt I'll get any spoilers, but I would like to make it a high profile site, so there will be a link for people to send in any notes they might have.

I do plan on searching the web for news - and I already have a news section on the front page. The air dates and rerun schedule will also be available (right above the news, I have a quick synopsis of the next episode with a link to it's page which will have air dates and rerun info).

No, I won't be offering full episode downloads.
#1 - I can capture video on my computer, but it's too hard to edit and then compress so that it doesn't have commercials.
#2 - Too bandwidth intensive.

However, I do plan on offering clips that I am going to try and capture through my computer. I didn't think of this site until after the last episode (hint: it's a new show), so I don't have anything from the first episodes, but I plan on starting next week.

The site isn't live yet (not even close) - still waiting for the domain registration to go through - then I'll be setting up the discussion board. I also need to finalize the design so that I can work on the other pages of the site. So far all I have is the main page, but I did get a lot done today.

Thanks for the input - anyone else??
Old 10-09-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure about the scripts. I just saw them at a bunch of sites that I was looking at. They were mostly identical (from the same source) at various sites dedicated to the same show, and I would suspect they somehow "leak out" from the producers as sometime you can find scripts of unaired episodes.

About downloading episodes, yes, that would kill your bandwidth, indeed. Anyway there are groups who release the caps on the net hours after the episodes airs, sometimes even before. If people are determined enough they will find them.

New show... Alias by any chance? (There could be a bunch of others, but this has made quite an impact...)
Old 10-10-01, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ one last time...
Old 10-10-01, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the show past, present, or future?

The one thing that seems missing from your list might be quotes.

You've doubtless already thought of this, but consider checking out other one-show sites to see what they've got.
Originally posted by Gandalf
Anyway, what show is it?
You still haven't answered the question.
Old 10-10-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's useful to have dates of original episode broadcasts and complete credits for each episode.
Old 10-10-01, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the topic of complete episodes, you could have members of the site do the hosting. One episode per person or something. But that probably would be quite difficult to organize, and I'm sure whatever network airs the show wouldn't be too happy.

As for what show it is, I can understand why he didn't say. I'm sure we'll know soon enough when he finished the site.

das
Old 10-10-01, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
As for what show it is, I can understand why he didn't say. I'm sure we'll know soon enough when he finished the site.

das
Oh, I understand it as well. But you know how it is. “Enquiring minds want to know…”
Old 10-10-01, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the input guys - Gandalf guessed correctly - it is a site dealing with Alias. I've just finished with all the cast bios and individual episode pages. I do plan on adding a favorite quotes section to all the episode pages later tonight most likely. Feel free to stop by and check out what I have so far, but please, do not pass the URL on to friends quite yet. It's still under development.

http://sd-6.com/
Old 10-10-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice site, blake

A few suggestions, however:
Some of the pages render sort of wrong in Opera. I just checked and they look ok in the other two browsers, but... I'm using Opera! :-)
For instance: the fonts are inconsistent on the first page: ep.3 news is small, ep2 summary starts slightly bigger and after one paragraph becomes really big.

Also, on the episode pages, the links to imdb mostly show up as "-i' rather than "-imdb" or even better, just "imdb". They are also wrapped sometimes for no apparent reason at all giving a messy look to the page. This happens in all browsers.

I would suggest moving the "Last Post" announcement to a less proeminent place, as right now it looks somewhat strange to see as the second headline "Who is going to win the MLB playoffs" which has no connection to the show... Actually you already have it in the right column as well, so... that would be just enough for me. You may want to have a headline advertising the forum and encouraging people to use it.

I like the menus, and the cast pages.

Also, I feel the site sort of lacks an introduction... Before the first news heading I would add some relevant photo/logo and a brief summary of the movie premise, or a description of what your site tries to be...
Old 10-11-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Gandalf
[B]A few suggestions, however:
Some of the pages render sort of wrong in Opera. I just checked and they look ok in the other two browsers, but... I'm using Opera! :-)
Fixed. Thanks.
Also, on the episode pages, the links to imdb mostly show up as "-i' rather than "-imdb" or even better, just "imdb". They are also wrapped sometimes for no apparent reason at all giving a messy look to the page. This happens in all browsers.
For some reason it wasn't doing that for me in IE or Opera, but I have completely changed all that and rather than linking to Amazon & IMDb, I just link to the individual actors pages now.
I would suggest moving the "Last Post" announcement to a less proeminent place, as right now it looks somewhat strange to see as the second headline "Who is going to win the MLB playoffs" which has no connection to the show... Actually you already have it in the right column as well, so... that would be just enough for me. You may want to have a headline advertising the forum and encouraging people to use it.
Done - replaced with a quick synopsis of the show - more info to be added soon there - thanks for all the ideas.
Old 10-11-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey man, snazzy page, real professional looking.

I like the way the info page is setup for each episode. Like the ratings stats on the bottom, nice touch., thats usually something I'm interested in about for shows I like.

Scott Foley is one lucky SOB!
Old 10-11-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Checked out the site. My first impression was I was pleased with how fast it loaded (I'm on dial-up). I most often don't bother with a site that takes too long to load on the first page.

Coupla things. The vertical text font would look cool horizontally -- vertically it's hard to read. And there's this "das" something or other listed as an intern. I think the pic's a phoney.

Old 10-11-01, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thats a nice forum you got there.
Old 10-12-01, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
Coupla things. The vertical text font would look cool horizontally -- vertically it's hard to read. And there's this "das" something or other listed as an intern. I think the pic's a phoney.
It's an imposter, I tell you.

das