Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What kind of cable do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of cable do you have?

Just curious; thought I'd take a sort of poll and see what people here have in their homes and how much they pay.
Me, I have AT&T Regular cable with one channel of HBO. Regular price is $48 a month but I'm on a special signup promotion of only $20/month.
Old 10-08-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting. I just posted something in another thread about how useless my cable system is if you want to record one thing and watch another, and hell, if I hijack your thread...

AT&T w/HBO as the only movie channel(s). ~$55/month
Old 10-08-01, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You guys are paying a lot for cable. I pay $75 a month for AT&T digital cable with the full basic package and 3 HBOs, Starz, all the Encore stations, plus a couple of other movie channels I never watch...and my cable broadband service.
Old 10-09-01, 01:00 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
directv. w tivo ( allows you to record 2 things at once)
Pay ~90 all in.
All HBO, Local Channels, Sundance, IFC, Speedvision and all
the Regional Fox Sports Channels

10 dollars / month for the tivo service.

And I love my tivo.
Old 10-09-01, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lifeline cable. $12 a month. Two ReplayTV's to get all the shows I want to watch - no monthy service fee. (Sorry, robert, had to get in my little Replay vs. Tivo dig.)
Old 10-09-01, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DirecTiVo ... every channel ... about $100/month. I'd drop some, but I need HBO (duh) and Showtime (Jeremiah), and there's no package with just those, so I just go ahead and get everything.

das

P.S. AT&T is SUCK ... this message brought to you by humanity as a whole.
Old 10-09-01, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
P.S. AT&T is SUCK ... this message brought to you by humanity as a whole.

When -- oh, when -- will they allow competition in the cable industry?? I have only one choice. Over the air broadcasts are fubar due to big buildings in the area, and the condo complex I live in frowns on DirecTV dishes.

What’s a TV addict to do?

Old 10-09-01, 09:49 AM
Suspended

I had comcast digital cable on 2 tvs with cable modem too and was paying like $145 a month .. I switch to RCN and now I have the same plus a phone line added in for $160.

I like RCN better, video quality is better and my cablem modem has yet to ever disconect me.. on comcast the cable modem went down for over an hour at least once a day
Old 10-09-01, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With regards to all the 'ATT sucks' posts, I gotta say I couldn't be happier with them. Granted the video quality is kinda bad on my TV but that might be just because I'm used to high quality DVD picture. But I get all the channels I want (for the most part) and when my cable modem got installed, the installer gave me showtime for free, so that's pretty cool. Also regarding cable modem, at peak times I'm downloading at around 200-300Kbps, and offpeak it goes up to 500+ Kbps. At only $20 a month it's not a bad deal.
Old 10-09-01, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have at&t (although I think they sold the local area to someone else, maybe mediacom?) which supplies the cable modem service. As a nice bonus, the basic & extended cable channels come in just fine. Doesn't help to much though, as I have dish network, and pay about 60 a month for that. It was nice at my old place, when they hooked up my cable modem, all the channels, including premium, came in just fine.

Dave
Old 10-09-01, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Analog Comcast for me, with no premium channels, for about $38... I'd love to get more stuff, but there are obstacles:

I live in a grey-market area, with over-the-air network reception VERY problematic due to mountains, but disqualified for networks on either major satellite service.

PLUS, Comcast offers NO lifeline cable service (to discourage satellite use?), and REQUIRES a cable box to recieve HBO or SHOWTIME even on their analog stream. Their digital stream is a poor value for the money, with far too many of my dream channels still missing from the lineup, and a price at least $30 higher than DSS... So for now I'm sticking with what I got...

I guess the next upgrade will be to an ultra expensive Over-The-Air antenna for CBS/NBC/ABC/FOX, and a DishNetwork system--with one of their better recievers which can remap the networks onto the same tuner band as the DSS... Then I'll just live with the slow surf-response time of DSS+standalone TiVo, and get used to the world of IR blasters...

I'd go with DirectTV because of their DirectTiVo stuff, but they don't have UPN/WB, and can't remap the Over-The-Air networks like DishNet... Awfully frustrating to find so many downsides to each technology... Entertainment tech sure has a long way to go if you're not in one of the top 50 markets...
Old 10-09-01, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Comcast Digital Cable with multi-channel HBO, SHO, MAX, TMC, and STARZ. $80 total.

I still wish our apt faced south though so we could go with Direct TV.
Old 10-09-01, 12:15 PM

Dish Network going on 2 years and coudln't be happier!
I pay $55 a month for top 100, extended local channels and 7 HBO's, if you want to count HBO Latin.
And Dish Network has a new Tivo receiver for i think $200.
Old 10-09-01, 12:29 PM

I have RCN with approximately 90 channels plus four HBOs, Starz, and Encore. I pay a little less than $60 a month for that. My only complaint is that they use crappy Scientific Atlantic (or vice versa I never remember) boxes that SUCK. I can't split the signal leaving the box in order to connect my SVHS to record both regular and premium channels.

I had TCI Digital (now AT&T) when it was first introduced and liked that a lot more. They had a better channel guide menu and the boxes they used had an internal A/B switch that didn't present me with the problem I have above.
Old 10-09-01, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am young I gues (18 going on 19) so my parents pay for cable.

HOWEVER -
Now in my room I have the Dish Network. The second level package... i think I pay 39.99 ? I also get the NYC and LA feeds of NBC ($3 total). I have it basically so I cna get good quality copies of all the shows I tape Cable just does not cut it and my parents to not want to upgrade to digital.

I add HBO only when I need to (ie I did for the Madonna concert, then canceled, then I will again for the Britney Spears one ).

Then I pay, what is it $9.99 a month for my Tivo.
Old 10-09-01, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Adelphia, roughly $40/month for regular cable, 70 or so stations although most are ones I never watch
Old 10-09-01, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Classic Cable - Extended Basic. Around $48/month, roughly 60 channels. I was going to upgrade to digital cable, but after calling these retards for the past three months to get a cable repairman out here and still no response, I'm getting DirectTV.
Old 10-09-01, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Chad
Classic Cable - Extended Basic. Around $48/month, roughly 60 channels. I was going to upgrade to digital cable, but after calling these retards for the past three months to get a cable repairman out here and still no response, I'm getting DirectTV.
Buy a pair of sunglasses too. When angels sing and the Heavens open up in praise of your DirecTV, you don't wanna hurt your eyes. Welcome.

das
Old 10-09-01, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At the beginning of September, I had installed a Dish 501 + 2 Dish 301 installed. The package I have is the AT150 + Sacramento Locals + Superstations. $70 per month. Much happer than AT&T Broadband Sacramento.
Old 10-09-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AT&T digital cable with Encore + HBO, $53.99/mo.

TCM is by far the biggest value to the package IMHO, although obviously I wouldn't be shelling out for HBO if I didn't get some value from it too.
Old 10-10-01, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
DirecTiVo ... every channel ... about $100/month. I'd drop some, but I need HBO (duh) and Showtime (Jeremiah), and there's no package with just those, so I just go ahead and get everything.

das

If you only like HBO and Show, you should get Total Choice with HBO and Show ala carte ($12.00 a piece).

That'd only be like $55 and a lot cheaper than everything.

You could also keep a couple of the other movie channels and still save money...

You could get Total Choice HBO/Starz (hbo, starz and encore) for $51.99 and than add the showtime for $12.00

OR

You could get Total Choice HBO (hbo and max) for $49.99 and add showtime for $12.00

Old 10-10-01, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Charter Digital Cable 130 Channels + like all HBOS All CInemax, all Encore, all Movie Channels, all Showtimes, all Starz and couple other lose channels w/ my Digital Cable INternet for 89.99
Old 10-10-01, 02:16 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

I've got DISH everything pack plus superstations, and all the fox sports stations. Out of all those stations I only watch about 15-20 of them.
Old 10-10-01, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jpalm
I have RCN with approximately 90 channels plus four HBOs, Starz, and Encore.
I had TCI Digital (now AT&T) when it was first introduced and liked that a lot more.
I just got RCN after having AT&T. Although the AT&T picture was a bit clearer, the RCN is cheaper and TCM/Bravo/Sundance/IFC are standard basic channels without the box.
Old 10-10-01, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JMLEWIS1

If you only like HBO and Show, you should get Total Choice with HBO and Show ala carte ($12.00 a piece).

That'd only be like $55 and a lot cheaper than everything.

You could also keep a couple of the other movie channels and still save money...

You could get Total Choice HBO/Starz (hbo, starz and encore) for $51.99 and than add the showtime for $12.00

OR

You could get Total Choice HBO (hbo and max) for $49.99 and add showtime for $12.00

I may have to do something like that. I also need all the Fox Sports channels too and some of the other random stuff that only comes with the complete package. Right now I'm under the NFL Sunday Ticket promotion, so I can't change my service for a few months, but I'll re-evaluate everything like you suggest. I'm sure I could probably drop down to around $79 a month. Really all I need is HBO, HBOW, SHO, and maybe SHOW. I can live without the other movie channels.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.