Reload this Page >

Monday Night's B5

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Monday Night's B5

Old 10-03-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monday Night's B5

I'm new to the show, and I think I've caught most of the important episodes thus far. I probably missed about 1/2 of the earlier shows, but I think I've seen all the major plot points.

To refresh Monday's show: Sinclair is gone, Sheridan is the new head honcho, president is dead, Garibaldi is in a coma, and Talen is in a cocoon like thing. Apologies if I misspelled any names.

Just a few questions:

Am I right in assuming that this was the beginning of Season 2, and that the last episode with Sinclair was the final show of Season 1?

Was there a reason why the actor playing Sinclair left the show? If so, this was the best replacement of a major character I've ever seen in a TV show.

Ratguy
Old 10-03-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Only spelling problem I saw was Delenn.

'Chrysalis' ("Nothing's the same anymore ...") is the final episode of Season 1, and then 'Points of Departure' where Sheridan arrives is the first episode of Season 2.

There are many reasons for O'Hare's departure from the show, but for the most part it was very amicable. I don't want to tell you all the reasons for the change, suffice it to say that there are storylines coming up that jms thought would be too much to burden the Sinclair character with. He has a specific connection to the storyline (everything with the 'Battle of the Line'). Sheridan will have another specific connection. All of that combined would be too much for one character.

Behind the scenes, O'Hare was quietly forced out by PTEN. jms wanted him to stay around, but as you can tell, he's not your typical "leading man" material. He's an understated actor, perfect for the Sinclair character, but PTEN didn't think the show would fly with him at the helm. It worked out well in the end, because jms was going to have to introduce another character sooner or later anyway, because of reasons I've alluded to above.

When all these factors were weighed together, it made sense to just make the change instead of fighting the big fight with PTEN. I like O'hare, and he's a really nice guy and a talented actor, but I don't think he could have carried the show for 5 years.

Hope that answers your questions.

das
Old 10-03-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the informative response, Das.

I had tried to get into the show a few years back, but it was right during the time when the show was ending. So, this time around I was already somewhat familiar with the characters. I did find it strange that Sinclair was in charge though. I didn't recognize the actor, and couldn't remember the character's name right. I thought perhaps they changed actors during one of the seasons for some reason, and that it was the same charachter. It all makes sense to me now.

Well, except for Delenn. What is she now? Half-Human?

Ratguy
Old 10-03-01, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ratguy,

Just FYI, das has set up a great thread to discuss the current showing on Sci-Fi:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=137766

You can probably use this for your questions...