Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Alias: Is this show supposed to be good?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-30-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am watching the premiere since there is no commercial interruption, but would not be otherwise. Jennifer Garner looks very nice and has a good body, but that's not enough to get me to watch. I guess the premise is that this girl leads two lives, kind of along the lines of Dark Angel.
Let me just say that any series that blasts current alternative/popular techno babble to carry it in down spots needs some help. A pretty face will help a show, but it can't get people to watch it forever.
Old 09-30-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
only watching because it's running past 10 (watched L&O criminal intent at 9)

Spoiler:

glad to see she ditched the red hair, like the CIA would hire someone who sticks out that much

Old 09-30-01, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked the premier and thought the music was great. Almost kinda Run Lola Run at times. I'll watch it again next week.
Old 09-30-01, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

man, i thought that was a great show!!! i didn't mind the music at all and jennifer garner was pretty good or at least good to look at. can't wait for next week.
Old 09-30-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, for one loved the show - I would have watched Band of Brothers had a friend not reminded me about it. Yes, I didn't like the music, but it's easily forgiven. I guess I just have an affinity for beautiful women, excellently choreographed fight scenes, and extensively labyrinthine plots. It looks to be another La Femme Nikita - but better
Old 09-30-01, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched it all - largely b/c of the commercial free deal (and I NEVER watch action series' on tv) - and I actually enjoyed it.

I doubt I'll keep watching though... it got rather laughable during the martial arts type sequences - it may have been well done, I don't know (keep in mind that I found the Matrix hilariously bad - but other than that, it moved right along, and had a few interesting plot twists (contrived though they may be).
Old 09-30-01, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe some of you didn't think that was an excellent pilot. It offers a realm of possibilities and definitely interested me in watching the next episode, to see if it lives up to the potential established in the pilot.
Old 09-30-01, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
A very big from me too.

Strangely though, I don't think she's that attractive.

Anyone catch the cameo by Greg Grunberg (Sean from Felicity)? (The creator of Alias is also the creator of Felicity. And Jennifer Garner played a recurring role on Felicity one season.)

Last edited by movielib; 09-30-01 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-30-01, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it and will try to catch it again.
Old 09-30-01, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A little too unbelievable. When the hell is she supposed to find time to study? Much less have a relationship. Look for this show to be short-lived.
Old 09-30-01, 10:59 PM
Needs to provide a working email

CBS just wanted a "cute girl who kicks people" program to draw in the people who watch Buffy and Dark Angel. Am I manipulatable enough to fall for that? Yep.
Old 09-30-01, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was a great show. Good pace and well acted. I can't understand why some people are complaining about it's believability. Come on.....it's a TV show. Since when could you believe the X-Files, Dark Angel, Buffy, Angel, Roswell, etc.... A good show is a good show, whether you have to suspend your beliefs or not.
Old 09-30-01, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh well, to each their own, but to me it's a big and a

I got fed up with the prominent placing of all the nokia products and would not have watched the whole show if not for the commercial free aspect. I might give this show a second chance if it uses the same format next week.
Old 09-30-01, 11:53 PM

My wife and I enjoyed it.

One question though,
Spoiler:
did she really do what I think she did to the interrogator?
Old 10-01-01, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Would a kind soul recap what happened in the last 10 minutes after she finally gets to the real
CIA and writes down her story? Didn't realize this show would run past 10 p.m.

TIA!
Old 10-01-01, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Sydney talks with Devlin (or some other CIA official, not sure), about what she wrote. Sydney asks if she's in; the official replies that they'll have to check out her story first, but they wouldn't mind having another mole in SD-6. She questions the fact that they have another one, thinking it's a setup.

She visits her fiance's grave, where her father meets her. He reveals he's the other mole in SD-6; Sydney doesn't trust him, to which he replies, "We'll just have to learn to trust each other." He hands her a cell phone (Nokia, of course ) and leaves.

The phone rings. Syd answers, "Hello?"

End of episode.
Old 10-01-01, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was an incredible, fantasic episode. I didn't mind the product placement, I feel it's better than commericals. The show was so well-written and I enjoyed it. I guess it's not for everybody.
Old 10-01-01, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just to clear things up - it was on ABC, not CBS.

I really liked the show. I thought the commercial free angle was great, and the nokia product placement was a much better trade off, imo. I hope it keeps this same pace - I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable. My boyfriend didn't like the music, but he stayed to watch most of the show, and he rarely watches "my" shows.
Old 10-01-01, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught most of the show......will most likely watch again next week and give it a shot.
Old 10-01-01, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was pretty good. Sunday nights are the most difficult competition (screw Thursdays), so it might have a tough road. But Garner is very likeable and sells the fact that she's a badass. For an action/adventure style show, this is very well written and quite interesting. Oh, and mikehunt, the red hair thing makes perfect sense if you see the whole episode.

das
Old 10-01-01, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rollo, thanks for the last 10 minutes synopsis.

I kept wondering how in the world she got on a flight back from Taiwan given that she stuck out like a sore red thumb!

I kept having flashbacks to "Le Femme Nikita" - the movie - while watching Alias.

I have to wonder what would have happened if Sidney went with that car that her dad told her to get into. Was the dad willing to let Sidney be killed off to protect his "cover"?
Old 10-01-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Patman
I have to wonder what would have happened if Sidney went with that car that her dad told her to get into. Was the dad willing to let Sidney be killed off to protect his "cover"?
I think he was genuinely trying to help her... during the last scene he says "I wish you had taken me up on Switzerland" or something to that effect.

Anyone else think that Garner looks a hell of a lot like Claire Forlani?
Old 10-01-01, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I too liked the show.

Especially the action sequences. She wasn't a total badass, and took a few hits, but it was very raw and brutal, she was taking every opportunity to get some damage done and I like that. Plus, props for not using a stunt double, or at least making it seamless. It really looked like she did all of her fight choreography.

And it was pretty brutal for an ABC show.

Spoiler:
Her boyfriend's murder, the teeth pulling, the "I think i know where she stuck that" with the teeth puller moment

Did anyone else think it was really weird seeing them doing that "dum dum dum dum" black and white and yellow promo thing they do on ABC with this show? It totally doesn't fit at all. They aren't a kooky band of misfits.

Last edited by Draven; 10-01-01 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-01-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really liked this pilot, but completely see why they ran it without commercials. The truth is, I think WITH commercials, they'd have lost a lot of people early on. The show really becomes riviting in its last 15 minutes or so, and the way the plot ended was a great set up for future shows. I'll stick with it for a while.
Old 10-01-01, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JuryDuty
I really liked this pilot, but completely see why they ran it without commercials. The truth is, I think WITH commercials, they'd have lost a lot of people early on. The show really becomes riviting in its last 15 minutes or so, and the way the plot ended was a great set up for future shows. I'll stick with it for a while.
That's my verdict. Without the commercial free gimmick, I would have zapped it after her "loneliness" period.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.