Once & Again Premiere

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Once & Again Premiere

Old 09-29-01, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once & Again Premiere

Duh ... spoilers for tonight's episode

Why oh why is this show buried on Fridays at 10pm? The last two years this has been one of more redeeming shows in prime time. No melodramatic outrageous scenarios, no super famous guest stars ... just real people handing real events without silly platitudes and Full House style family moments.

Obviously, I wasn't disappointed at all with the season premiere. Nothing incredible happened ... no major cliffhangers to resolve ... just good wholesome television. Perhaps I'm biased, as I'd follow Sela Ward to the ends of the Earth, trough Hell and back, and even to Di$neyworld, but I really love this show.

das
Old 09-29-01, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I LOVE this show too.

At first the Friday night would have pissed me off but I was just glad this one got renewed for the 3rd season.

It was really close.

The premiere was good. It is just scary how many quality actors they've got working this show. Too many for just an hour almost. THe kids are great. Sela Ward is heaven.

I'm surprised they let them say "pot" so much.

plus Eric Stoltz begins his role next week I think.

I was at work and about an hour before it started I remembered the premiere was tonight. Had to make a call and it get a tape going.

Hopefully other people will get a chance to see it. It's worth the time.
Old 09-29-01, 12:33 PM

The first episode was so great!

Lily made me want want to stand up and cheer! I lived the way she stood up to the uptight ex-wife.

And the way she flirted with the band to get Eli the job!

She seems like a lot stronger character this season. Perhaps getting married and merging the two families have given her a new inner strength. SHe has a lot more self-confidence now.

I was proud of the way she handled losing her job. Guess that means we won't see Jennifer Crystal Foley anymore.

The previews fo rthe rest of the season look great. So glad Lily's sister will have some romance!
Old 09-29-01, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I must have a thing for older women on Friday nights: Sela on Once and Again, and Dana Delaney on Pasadena.

Loved Eli's friend's reaction "That's your step-mom?" when they all almost collided in the hallway in towels/etc.

Now we know where Steven Weber wound up after getting the boot from NBC.

The ironic foreshadowing of the Eli-Grace relationship by showing Jerry Springer on TV and Eli and Lily watching an episode together.
Old 09-29-01, 10:09 PM

This show is Good.. As in Very. Time slot sucks. But with
Sela Ward and good solid writing. We can only hope that
it will be on for a few more seasons. They are in one 20/20's
old time slots I believe. So I guess ABC thru them one
of Hugh Downs old bones.
Old 09-29-01, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watching Sela Ward prove that she is the hottest mom out there is enough reason to watch this show.

I've been watching since day 1.
Old 09-30-01, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Simply great show, and great episode.

Most intriguing, the Eli/Lily relationship. Great to see how she's sticking up for him. It'll be interesting to see how that grows.

Originally posted by Jadzia
I was proud of the way she handled losing her job. Guess that means we won't see Jennifer Crystal Foley anymore.

Damn!!! We'll also be Miles-less and David-less, which sucks, but like someone mentioned, this show is jam packed with great actors trying to get the most out of there limited minutes.

The coming on future episodes looked good. Friday at 9PM CST, bleh. By I'll be watching, even if only by VCR.
Old 09-30-01, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can live without David and Miles, even if the actors who played them are very talented. The second season was nowhere near as good as the first season. Although I appreciate the risks the creators took with respect to the long-running Miles story arc, it ultimately sucked, almost as much as the 'very special please watch us it's exciting we promise' hostage episode.

This season premiere reminded me very much of what I found in the first season, which was a show that focused on difficult issues in family dynamics without resorting to cliche, simple answers, or exaggerated and ridiculous situations. I hope that with Rick and Lily in the same house, the spotlight can remain largely on realistic drama inherent in that situation, rather than on who Karen or Lily's sister is dating or what's up with Rick at work.
Old 10-01-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too loved the season opener. It has all of the things I love about this show, which have been mentioned already - nothing extreme, just real people working out real problems. And kids acting like kids - not over the top brats or smart alecs, not perfect, not anything extreme...just real.

I also am looking forward to more of a storyline with Lil's sister. Karen drives me batty (in a good way, though ) - her character is just so controlling and prone to freak out over things that don't have to be such a big deal, but it's so well-acted that you can't help but see her side, too. And I'd love to see some growth...let her kids just be without trying to save them from the mistakes that kids just have to make sometimes.

The caliber of acting on this show is phenomenal. And the stories have gone back to their roots so to speak (last season they strayed from what they do best and it was frustrating). Looks to be on track again, though. This and the quirkier Gilmore Girls are hands down my favorite dramas. Looks to be a great year for tv all over the board.
Old 10-04-01, 11:09 PM

Man this show is great. The best thing is that it keeps getting better. The characters are growing as they would in real life. What am I saying, this show is real life, or as close as you can get to it on TV. Ever since SportsNight got canned this has been my 'best show on television.' I actualy feel bad that I didn't start watching it till the second season.

TV executives have canned SportsNight, EZ Streets, Gideon's Crossing, and countless others I can't think of right now. If they can this, that's it. I'll go postal. I'll get real crazy. I'll get a job in television. I don't want to have to do it but I will.
Old 10-05-01, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JsphOfArimethia
Man this show is great. The best thing is that it keeps getting better. The characters are growing as they would in real life. What am I saying, this show is real life, or as close as you can get to it on TV. Ever since SportsNight got canned this has been my 'best show on television.' I actualy feel bad that I didn't start watching it till the second season.

TV executives have canned SportsNight, EZ Streets, Gideon's Crossing, and countless others I can't think of right now. If they can this, that's it. I'll go postal. I'll get real crazy. I'll get a job in television. I don't want to have to do it but I will.

Hate to burst your bubble but Once & Again was third in its time
slot on Friday night which really sucks.
48 hrs. and one of those Law & Order deals beat it.
The show got about 7 million viewers and some change. I won't go into shares or anything.

That's why they had to lower themselves last year into showing commericials and saying "You must see this .......sorta thing" with the hold-up in the restaurant.

I have loved this show since the pilot and ABC can go to hell if they ditch it. If the low ratings continue. So What. Keep the damn thing on the air.

Both Sports Night and Once & Again were TV Guide's cover issue of the Best Show You're Not Watching.

It obviously didn't help with the great Sports Night. Hopefully here it will. I miss Felicity Huffman.
Old 10-05-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hate to break the bad news, but this series is on ABC ... 'nuff said. ABC is notorious for acquiring some of the best shows around and then underpromoting or time-slot killing them. Either that or bumping them for another Millionaire or 20/20. If ABC follows true to form, I wonder if a network like Lifetime can afford to step in and produce the series.

das
Old 10-05-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It would be a crime of Once and Again gets canned because I find Sela Ward to be the sexiest woman on TV currently.