TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

E.R.

Old 09-27-01, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E.R.

Spoiler:

gotta love a show that starts out with a falling body before teh opening credits

eww, half-brother, and he/she

carter's grandma is cool

greene has a third e in his name

Last edited by mikehunt; 09-27-01 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-28-01, 01:24 AM

Very Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs ish. Still a good I think
Old 09-28-01, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was underwhelmed. The narrative style was by far the most interesting part of this episode.

Most of this episode seemed clearly and obviously motivated by a desire to set plot in motion for the rest of the reason. The rest seemed designed to answer cliffhanger issues. Neither were very satisfactory in terms of substance. Basically, any time things started to get interesting, we went to commercial, flipped to another character, and started over.

Still, at least they are trying...I am cautiously optimistic. A slow start with little medicine and lots of plot setups may yield dividends down the road in a way a faster paced premiere could not. Carter and Abby remain the most interesting characters, of course...
Old 09-28-01, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dave955
I was underwhelmed. The narrative style was by far the most interesting part of this episode.

Most of this episode seemed clearly and obviously motivated by a desire to set plot in motion for the rest of the reason. The rest seemed designed to answer cliffhanger issues. Neither were very satisfactory in terms of substance. Basically, any time things started to get interesting, we went to commercial, flipped to another character, and started over.

Still, at least they are trying...I am cautiously optimistic. A slow start with little medicine and lots of plot setups may yield dividends down the road in a way a faster paced premiere could not. Carter and Abby remain the most interesting characters, of course...
I agree with everything you said here.

das
Old 09-28-01, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So what did y'all think of the season opener for ER?

The fractured character arcs w/r/t the injuries from a "Jerry Springer"-like show was a little strange. While the whole point to the preventable tragedy was sad, it was a little too ham-fisted for me (plus, I saw it from a mile away).

What's a little sad is that the show has to slowly but surely excise both Benton and Greene from the show, and I'm afraid it won't be pleasant to watch.

I do think that Abby and Carter has better chemistry together than Abby and Kovachs (a sympathetic character with tragedy littering his past).

I think Romano is going to lay a whammy on Carrie Weaver when it suits his purposes (he was totally unconvincing when he told her that he hadn't told anyone of her admitting to being a lesbian).

Mark Greene and Elizabeth will have to work through his transgressions as a doctor when he didn't try to actively save the mass murderer who was after him and his family. Mark will finally confess to her, and the hospital will use this to dispatch him towards the end of the season. Plus having Sherry Stringfield show up will really throw Mark for a loop.

I was surprised that Dr. Chen got the head resident slot because Weaver finally gave in and gave her the recommendation after their tiff from last season.

Benton and his relationship with both his sister (still dealing with the gang-related death of her son) and Cleo will cause much strife in his life, plus having to deal with the mother of his son, and his son's condition will make it easier to write Benton out of the series.

But, I didn't get a good vibe from the season opener.

Last edited by Patman; 09-28-01 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-28-01, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DOES ANYONE

know when SHERRY STRINGFIELD is coming back?
Old 09-28-01, 11:12 AM

Sherry = Midseason. sorry.

Did anyone else hear Dr Green call Luca "RUCA" ... i might have imagined it cause i was looking for his speech to blur...
Old 09-28-01, 12:06 PM

Was I the only one that thought "hey there's Alex P Keaton's dad" everytime they showed MIcheal Gross.

By the way, he's a great actor

I missed Sherry/Susan.
Old 09-28-01, 02:38 PM

Don't forget they also need to get rid of Dr. Dave this year too.

Certainly not the most lovable character on the show, but his personality leaves open several creative ways for him to depart.
Old 09-28-01, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TheEdge21
Was I the only one that thought "hey there's Alex P Keaton's dad" everytime they showed MIcheal Gross.
Not buy a longshot!

Originally posted by mikehunt
Spoiler:

eww, half-brother, and he/she
You've got to remember that it
Spoiler:
turned out to be a lie, so it wasn't really a half-brother/sister thing.
Old 09-28-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by renaldow

You've got to remember that it
Spoiler:
turned out to be a lie, so it wasn't really a half-brother/sister thing.

So they weren't related??

I rarely watch ER so I was having some problems following, but I did find it to end quite abruptly.
Old 09-28-01, 03:20 PM

Thats where i knew that guy from! family ties... thank you