Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Band of Brothers ep. #3 [spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-01, 09:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Band of Brothers ep. #3 [spoilers]

Wow! What a powerful show. It was basically an hour-long battle scene that was just horrific. I thought I had seen everything (limbs blown off, fingers shot off, toes and legs with gaping wounds, eyes shot out) and then one of the soldiers gets run over by a tank. I was very moved by the ending with all the dead soldiers' laundry being picked up by the Seargent.

Looking forward to next week!
Old 09-16-01, 10:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HBO just does an outstanding job with their in house productions. If the rest of television was as good as they were I would be a certified couch patato.

The only thing that I would have liked to see so far is more focus on fewer characters. There have been more than few times that I have been wondering "who the heck was that?" It is almost like they have too many people they are trying to keep us interested in.
Old 09-17-01, 01:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, we all know the only good thing about Saving Private Ryan were the war scenes. So Hanks and Spielberg decided to give us what we really wanted and forget about the rest. You want character development? You wont find any here. There are just too many characters that all look the same. You cant figure out who is talking to who. You dont feel any attatchment towards them so you dont care if they die or not. I sure didnt. Majority of the time you see these guys shooting and yelling. They hardly ever show what the hell theyre shooting at!

I like this episode for one reason. Blithe. They finally put a face to go along with the name. They made a character. They made you like him. His soft words. They finally made someone you can cheer for. But then he eats it at the end. I was actually sad when we learned that he did in fact eat it because HE WAS HUMAN! They singled him out! So far this miniseries is overhyped crap. Band of Brothers?? I want to know who the hell these brothers are! If this show doesnt pick up before the month is over... . the only band of brothers i'll be hearing are the Wu-Tang Clan.

Peace!
Old 09-17-01, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
thx 1138 do you ever have anything positive to say?
Old 09-17-01, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The lack of characters is intentional. People had the same criticism of The Thin Red Line because it was too real, when the actors were intenionally cast to look alike. War is not a 5 act television program with strong character arcs and tidy storylines. It's war. They want us to be confused. We can recognize who Winters is, and that's all we really need to know. War is about sending faceless children to their death, not sitting around the campfire sharing each individual character's dynamic life story.

That being said, I'm not overwhelmed by Band of Brothers just yet, but it's certainly better than anything else on TV right now, and will likely be better than 99% of the worthless crap the networks shove down our throats. I fear I'm unfairly expecting perfection from this show simply because it's on HBO.

das
Old 09-17-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the fact that they are not just focusing on a few characters. If they did, then we would automatically recognize this as a dramatic device and know we are only really seeing the "characters" who make it through the end.

By showing us an entire company of soldiers and not focusing on a few individuals, we get the sense that ANY of them could be killed at any moment.

Which is really the reality of war.
Old 09-17-01, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was a bit dissapointed in this episode. I liked the first 2 very much but this one fell short as it just seemed to be a documentary on the battle at Carentan. I hope the rest of the series just isn't a different battle for each episode. My expectations were that it would be in the style of "From the Earth to the Moon". That series was just so well told and from every conceivable angle you could think of.

I am hoping that they will get into why this is called "Band of Brothers" more in future episodes. I want to see what brings these few people together. We don't need character development as much as we need the "brotherhood" development.
Old 09-17-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good episode. I like how they show the bad ass Lieutenants standing and barking orders while shots are whizzing by them. That crazy Lieutenant, the one who capped those German POW, is an interesting dude. I like to see how that will pan out!
Old 09-17-01, 12:04 PM
Suspended

I thought it was a great episode. It was mostly one big battle scene, but it also did have the story arcs and all that.. if you followed the story of the little flower, and private blythe .. I thought the guy getting run over by the tank was a little too much.. like they just added it there for an extra bit of shock value where it wasn't really needed.. that whole thing reminded me of Austin Powers
Old 09-17-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was one hell of an episode. Personally, I thought the action was much better than in the second ep. In Saving Private Ryan, I personally wanted top put a bullet into the Jeremy Davies cowardly typist/transalator. Blythe on the other hand I felt sorry for. It was such a shame that just when he finally got out of the hole, literally, he gets sniped. Another thing I loved is how the rumours are now spreading about that soldier that killed the German prisoners. We never actually see the murder in Ep. 2, but one has to wonder what actually happened.
Old 09-17-01, 01:26 PM

Great episode! If you want character development, and a smaller cast of recognizable soldiers rent The Dirty Dozen.
Old 09-17-01, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by THX 1138
Okay, we all know the only good thing about Saving Private Ryan were the war scenes.

Peace!
I must have not gotten that memo. I thought it was a good story with an interesting angle. I watched this again this past weekend. It remains one of my favorite films.
Old 09-17-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, THX is right. SPR has a really lousy cliche-ridden story full of cookie cutter characters. "Earn this!" indeed.
Old 09-18-01, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tesiae
No, THX is right. SPR has a really lousy cliche-ridden story full of cookie cutter characters. "Earn this!" indeed.
Yeah ... THX is full of crap on his Band of Brothers analysis , but SPR's pretty hollow without those incredible war scenes.

das
Old 09-18-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, I'd also like to mention that I'm a moron. It wasn't until Saturday that I realized that my digital cable receiver has a Digital Output. I listened to Episode 3 in all of its DD 5.1 glory. Can't wait for the DVDs.
Old 09-18-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
The reason SPR was so popular was because of the extreme bloodshed.
Old 09-18-01, 05:45 PM

Starship Troopers also had a lot of bloodshed...
Old 09-18-01, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mee2
Exactly.
Old 09-18-01, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No. SPR was popular because A.) Tom Hanks was in it, B.) Steven Spielberg directed it, and C.) It's the closest an audience will ever come to being at Normandy.

I think the budget for SPR was about $100 Million. $15 Million went to Tom Hanks. $20 Million went to Spielberg. That's more than a third of the budget. Thankfully, since Stevie is only producing, and Tommy is only directing/producing, much of the $120 Million budget goes towards the actual production of Band of Brothers.

Last edited by Tesiae; 09-18-01 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-18-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by mee2
...but it wasn't based on anything that ever happened.
Old 09-18-01, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Trout

...but it wasn't based on anything that ever happened.
So says you ...

das
Old 09-18-01, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Incidentally, if the new Indy movie is EVER made, $60 million of the budget will go to Spielberg, Lucas, and Ford.
Old 09-18-01, 08:01 PM

The same could be said about the rescue of Pvt. Ryan.