Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

** The Official - LOST - Thread **

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-01, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
** The Official - LOST - Thread **

Conan O'Brien's production company enters the reality arena with a series that asks players to get lost. Literally. There aren't a lot of gimmicks, and, says O'Brien, “there's not an element of people trying to screw each other over,” which, he quips “may ultimately be the flaw of this program.”
Post your thoughts, your predictions, and your opinions about LOST here.
Old 09-05-01, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watching it right now. It seems interesting, and I might wtch it, considering there's nothing else on. I actually like the fact that there's not a lot of politics and backstabbing and whatnot...
Old 09-05-01, 08:05 PM

I found it interesting. i'm still waiting to see the amazing race.. i'll watch one or the other

It definatly has potential, but i wonder why the press has been panning it so badly... maybe they know something we dont' know yet.
Old 09-05-01, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm watching lost over the amazing race. im not even going to watch one episode of the amazing race.

the first episode of lost was ok. i bet the next one will be better since they are going into a town.
Old 09-05-01, 09:10 PM

Let me guess, you're boycotting amazing race because of bruckhiemer?
Old 09-06-01, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lost vs Amazing Race?

Has anyone seen both Lost and Amazing Race? Can you compare them?
I've only seen AR, but the premise for Lost seemed more interesting, so I was wondering how it turned out to be. AR got more comments in it's thread so I believe not too many people watched Lost as it was competing with BB2...
Old 09-06-01, 08:33 AM

I Like the premise of Lost more than AR, but Lost picked the wrong contestants. I hate them all. They're all either whiny, obnoxious, stupid, or bland.
ex.
'We know what country we're in!' 10 times - Carla trying to psyche out another team...and failing miserably.

'We'll just find a gay bar and my people will help us' - Cortland, under the assumption that sexual preference overcomes cultural and language barriers.

'I'm so tired, I need to sit down and rest' - The beauty queen...after walking 50 yards.

etc. etc. etc. It was painful.

D
Old 09-06-01, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by Derrich
I Like the premise of Lost more than AR, but Lost picked the wrong contestants. I hate them all. They're all either whiny, obnoxious, stupid, or bland.
ex.
'We know what country we're in!' 10 times - Carla trying to psyche out another team...and failing miserably.

'We'll just find a gay bar and my people will help us' - Cortland, under the assumption that sexual preference overcomes cultural and language barriers.

'I'm so tired, I need to sit down and rest' - The beauty queen...after walking 50 yards.

etc. etc. etc. It was painful.

D

I agree... sometimes I think that the producers of "reality" television must be completely out of touch with reality themselves. They could not have picked worse contestants for "Lost", with the exception of the black guy, who seems like a decent person. At least they paired him with the most obnoxious and foul person, so hopefully he'll have a few blow-ups or something. I was waiting for him to smack her. Maybe he is just too nice. She truly is vile though. The other teams, well, just suck enormously. The gay guy is even more abrasive than that woman- he is unintelligent, cartoonish, and a spazz. And the sound of his voice truly is excruciating. I'd rather have sandpaper rubbed on my eyeballs than hear a single sound out of him. His teammate is even stupider than he is. I was thinking before the show started, "Where are some likely spots that I might expect them to be dropped. First place I thought of was Mongolia. So then the show starts, and guess what, it looks like Southern "Eurasia". Hmmm... So then various contestants start to find artifacts with "funny" lettering on them. Guess what? It's cyrillic. Oh joy! Somehow not all of them recognized that immediately. Were I casting the show, I definitely would have picked people who were *borderline* intelligent and resourceful, at least. What blew my mind was when the gay guy and his partner encountered Asian people, in a temperate region, where the writing is cyrillic, and they still couldn't figure out where they were. I dunno... Finally, the team with two women is so pathetic that I don't know where to begin. What the hell is wrong with the "mother of four" or whatever that she doesn't just get totally impatient and fed up with the hideous "beauty queen"? Those two made me nauseous, because they seem like they could have it together enough mentally, but will be undone by how weak (not just physically) they are. I see them getting taken advantage of... they also seem vulnerable to the "helpless damsel" syndrome.

The whole thing really isn't helped by the unbearably cheesy voiceover narration: both the writing and the voicework is awful. Add that to the clumsiest and most awkward editing I've seen recently and you have a show that I think will struggle to compete for ratings. I really can't believe that out of the three days that were filmed, what was shown was the most interesting stuff that happened. I think that the directors have no idea what they are trying to accomplish. Too bad- the premise was great.

Last edited by Five Cent Deposit; 09-06-01 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-01-01, 09:10 AM

Almost a month since anyone posted in this thread... did anyone continue watching after the first episode? I hear it is getting terrible ratings.
Old 10-01-01, 09:17 AM

I stopped. After the recent events i'm kind of fickle in my TV hours. And i think reality shows have lost any chance with me for the time being.
Old 10-01-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught one show. Not all that interesting. Everyone is hustling to get from city to city. Not much in the way of entertainment.
Old 10-01-01, 01:58 PM

There have only been two episodes so far, as it was delayed because of the terror. I am enjoying both lost and AR. I rather Lost and see some potential in it. I believe it works in 3 episode clumps and there are new people in each clump. So if you hate the people on it, wait a week and you'll probably have all new contestants. I AM REALLY ENJOYING LOVE CRUISE.