Reload this Page >

Sandra Bernhard Experience

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-28-01, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched Sandra Bernhard's new A&E talk show last night and for the most part, it was okay.

Sandra is like one big contradiction. All the ads said the show wasn't going to be like a regular talk show. But it was. It was exactly like a regular talk show. Sandra even asked the same boring questions ('Who was your biggest influence'...argh). Sandra even had a sidekick.

By the way, who was that sidekick? She was pretty hot. Maybe Sandra's gf of the moment? Anyway, I digress.

On top of the boring questions, she did her best to put words in the mouths of the guests. ('You were never a feminist, were you' ...'Going back on the road was fun, wasn't it'). And she told Edie Falco that she was going to focus on her other work and not the Sopranos...and then spent the entire interview talking about the Sopranos(and a little Oz).

D
Old 08-28-01, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts
IMHO, Sandra Bernhard =
Old 08-28-01, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Well I just got done watching it. Before I give my opinion, I just want to say that I'm a huge Sandra Bernhard fan. I've seen her live twice. I think her satire/humor is pretty damn funny. But this show was wildly uneven. It's way too long to begin with. It definitely should be 30 minutes. I became bored rather quickly and found myself fast forwarding thru a lot of it. Like all shows, it may take some time to find it's niche. But I found it's "welcome to our show, and this is what you're gonna get" schpeal a little too heavy. If Sandra doesn't tone that down right away, it's going to get old by the third episode. She kept reminding everyone throughout the first show to enjoy the "experience". Yeah, I know that's part of the gag. But it just got old. Sandra also needs to let the guests TALK! She asks them a question and won't even let them answer the damn thing. Poor Chrissie Hynde! Did she ever get to finish speaking before Sandra dove into the next question or thought?

Bottom line, the show definitely needs some tweaking. Sandra's a major talent in the right format. I'm afraid this vehicle is going to tank if they don't go back to the drawing board right away and tighten it up.
Old 08-28-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh! I forgot to add. Her co-host? As cute and intelligent as she is, she serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Didn't say one thing during the show expect when Sandra was introducing her. Clearly, Sandra needs no side kick.
Old 08-28-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 648 Likes on 423 Posts
I love Sandra Bernhard.
Old 08-28-01, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I've laughed when her routines have been on comedy central, but she is fugly
Old 08-29-01, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well tonight's episode, the second show to air, was an improvement over the first. Things seemed more loose. The atmosphere more laid back (even though she promoted this on the first episode, it wasn't). I really enjoyed her singing to Boy George. He seemed genuinely moved by that. Should be interesting to watch the progress of the show. Hope it improves. Tonight was a good sign.

And Mikehunt (charming moniker btw), the fugly comment was unnecessary. No one's asking you to screw her. Maybe you can just enjoy her comedy. How about that Drew Carrey, what a f*cking pig. You don't hear anyone saying that when talking about HIM.
Old 08-29-01, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 648 Likes on 423 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
I've laughed when her routines have been on comedy central, but she is fugly
How dare you!

She's the BOMB. Exotic, sexy, and An OPEN LESBIAN BEFORE it was "Hip"...
Old 08-29-01, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not a big Sandra Bernhard fan, so I wasn't exactly favorably inclined towards the show coming in, but the worst part of it is that it knocked out one of my daily Law & Order fixes from its former timeslot.... grrrr......
Old 08-29-01, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
now there's nothing good on at 11 unless the history channel happens to have something, but nothing consistently worth watching

Originally posted by saltheart
I'm not a big Sandra Bernhard fan, so I wasn't exactly favorably inclined towards the show coming in, but the worst part of it is that it knocked out one of my daily Law & Order fixes from its former timeslot.... grrrr......