MADONNA live on HBO tonight (Sunday)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-26-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Madonna's "Drowned World Tour" will air live from Detroit
on HBO tonight. (Sun., Aug. 26) 9 eastern, 8 central.
Old 08-26-01, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet, thanks for the reminder, i had forgotten about this
Old 08-26-01, 07:23 PM
Banned

Thanks ...

Almost forgot as well ...

Old 08-26-01, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I almost forgot as well, thanks!

But so far I'm un-impressed. Maybe just me, I don't know, but I'm glad I save the money (TON OF MONEY FOR TICKETS).
It's be a different story if she at least threw in a few of her older hits, just for nostalgic sake. oh well.
Old 08-26-01, 09:08 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
you know amazingly it's been shown here in Australia tonite too! amazing !
Old 08-26-01, 09:53 PM
Banned

Disappointed.
Old 08-26-01, 10:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Soup Nazi
Disappointed.
There is a difference between being there and watching it on a shi**y tv.

This tour is amazing and well worth the $100 dollars.
Old 08-26-01, 11:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by THX 1138
There is a difference between being there and watching it on a shi**y tv.

This tour is amazing and well worth the $100 dollars.
I can understand that. However, the aesthetics and venue wouldn't have made much of a difference in my mind. The music, not the performance, but the music she selected to perform was what garnered my disappointment vote.
Old 08-27-01, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Brilliant lady
not so inspired concert on the tube.
Old 08-27-01, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was pretty damn cool, except for that whole texan accent part (what was up with that?).
Old 08-27-01, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

looked like a fun concert. i don't think that i would have shelled out all that money for tickets but still a fun-looking concert.
Old 08-27-01, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't get to watch as I don't have HBO. The excerpts shown on entertainment shows did not impress me.

Did she do any early material like Material Girl, Like a Prayer, etc.? I know she wouldn't do LAV.

Last edited by big whoppa; 08-27-01 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-27-01, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it. I thought the actual "show" with the visuals and all was cool and her attitude and costume changes worked for me.

I expected it to be newer material cuz over the last 6 weeks i've read she mainly does songs from "Ray of Light" and "Music" and that's what happened.

She has so many songs.........and what would've easily worked would have been a medley (which is frequently done lately) of some of her old stuff.

A few of the newer choices were bad including Candy Perfume Girl in my opinion.

the opener "Drowned/Substitute For Love" is one of my favorites of all time except that it's too short.

Her set list included:
Impressive Instant
Music
Gone (great great live)
a couple others singles from MUSIC and the start of what it feels like for a girl.......but it was never performed.....at least i think that was some costume change background music.

Ray of Light
Candy Perfume Girl
Drowned/Substitute For Love
Sky Fits Heaven (??)
Frozen

Holiday
a Spanish-language version of one of her songs.
an "original" song that sounded like she wrote it 10 minutes before the show
a very nice La Isla Bonita
Secret

She had nothing from my favorite album EROTICA and no Like A Virgin, Live To Tell or anything.......she performed a nice show about where she is at now.

although a finale of VIRGIN the way she did it in Truth or Dare (the slower version) would have been great or Justify My Love.

anyhow, if you like Madonna you will enjoy it.
Christ it's free........or pennies of a cable bill compared to the money you wash down the drain with nosebleed&binocular seats.
Old 08-27-01, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the Detroit show on Saturday and it was pretty amazing. I watched the HBO broadcast last night and it was too bad some of the cool stuff really didn't come through as well.

There were all these dancers leaping from the stage (from elevator shafts that opened up on the floor) and I noticed you didn;t see that much since the camera always focused on Madonna.

The whole stage show was quite a spectacle. I loved the naked men hanging upside down.
Old 08-27-01, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I couldn't believe the concert was under 105 minutes (if I shelled out over $100/ticket, I'd want more than that - hey, that's about $1/minute!). I can only guess that HBO didn't show the encore segments (is anyone tired of the concert ritual/tactic?)

I too was just annoyed and embarrassed for people with Texas accents/drawls when Madonna started with that Daddy song. Her normal accent is more northeastern/NY-ish (but not as annoying as Rosie Perez's accent.

The whole CTHD wire-work thing was probably a decent idea 6 months ago, but now, it looks goofy and out of step (for a second I thought a Dr. Pepper commercial broke out).

At least Madonna's voice sounded "normal", I was expecting a weaker sounding voice (I've never thought Madonna had a good voice, even if she goes for that trilling/vibrato effect in most of her slower songs).
Old 08-27-01, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, they showed the entire concert. The only encore was "Music" which was really just a planned part of the show.

It said "The End" and the lights came up and that was it.

There wasn't an opening act, either.
Old 08-27-01, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd never seen a Madonna concert live or on TV before last night. Doesn't the fact that her concert is more like a broadway show, limit her ability to play older songs? Everything fits into a set format and seems to focus on recent hits....
Old 08-27-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Madonna's schtick is so contrived and calculated that it just comes off heavy handed and uterly boring.

She also still can't sing worth $#!t.

But she does look pretty good for a 50 year old.
Old 08-27-01, 03:55 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
I watched some of this concert. It was rather entertaining.
Old 08-27-01, 06:55 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i thought it was supposed to be three hours ?

was this a special concert for TV ? i thought we'd been diddled here in Australia !

i was mega disappointed ! i love the older songs and she played hardly any !
Old 08-27-01, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well after the whole thing I'm still disappointed.

It's was a "decent" show, and I know if I was there I'd be disappointed in the money spent for what I got.
I can respect her talent, her appeal, and the "theatrics" involved with that stage show.

But for me personally I just NEEDED a nostalgic tune or two. Or maybe a medley or something. I mean she performed I think one of her 14 #1 hits. I know she's "at a different place now" but I know most of those people that bought tickets to the shows (sold out before any setlist from any overseas shows were revealed) atleast expected some "old goodies".
SO that was a big disappointment that I wouldn't have been able to get over personally after shelling out that kind of cash for a ticket.

I did think the closer "MUSIC" was a GREAT FUN CLOSER and crowd appealing and pleasing though.
Old 08-28-01, 11:31 AM
Banned

Hate to burst your bubble boys and girls...

The set list was released as soon as the concert started and some people (myself included) had it before it started. She said that she wasn't doing very much of the older stuff and flat out refuses to sing Into the Groove or Material Girl any more.

And to correct the above poster...she's 43...not 50.
Old 08-28-01, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
The above poster apparently is some kid making a crack at her age. Knowing full well she's not 50. Which reminded me of this jerk at a recent outdoor concert this summer that had many current bands plus the Go-Go's. When the Go-Go's took the stage (looking better than ever IMO, and I saw them live 20 years ago), some kid next to me screamed out "GOD! That's my mom up there!!!". Does anyone yell this sh*t at Aerosmith? Or the Stones?
Old 08-28-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
she's 43...not 50.
And probably looks better than alot of the out of shape 20 somethings that I see walking around. It's kind of sad the way alot of these young people abuse themselves.....
Old 08-28-01, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts
PROBABLY looks better than half the 20 somethings walking around!? From where I'm standing, she definitely does. I think it's sad that half these young people think life ends at 40 if you're an entertainer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.