TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

BOSTON PUBLIC - any Fans ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-01, 03:13 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
BOSTON PUBLIC - any Fans ?

this show just started recently in Australia

i really quite like it. strong characters and good to see a school drama focusing on the teachers

i believe Jeri Ryan joins the cast, can't wait
Old 08-16-01, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
i started watching it about 3 episodes in last season. it's a damn good drama. jeri ryan is a great addition to the cast.
Old 08-16-01, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watched the whole season. Huge fan.
Old 08-16-01, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta love shows like this. The show really is bad, but I watch every episode religiously. Typical David Kelley material. It's probably the most cliche show on television, and it threw realism out the window after it's second episode. Still, it's funny. I think I watch it for the same reason that I watch RAW. It makes me laugh. Most "comedy" shows don't make me laugh that much, so I have to stick with what works, and Boston Public does the trick. For as bad as it is, it has tons of hot chicks (see realism remark above) and plenty of entertaining characters. It's not West Wing quality, but at least it's better than 95% of the other crap the Big Four are offering.

das
Old 08-16-01, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Over the top, but quite entertaining. I also can't wait for Jeri Ryan.
Old 08-16-01, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Gotta love shows like this. The show really is bad, but I watch every episode religiously. Typical David Kelley material. It's probably the most cliche show on television, and it threw realism out the window after it's second episode. Still, it's funny. I think I watch it for the same reason that I watch RAW. It makes me laugh. Most "comedy" shows don't make me laugh that much, so I have to stick with what works, and Boston Public does the trick. For as bad as it is, it has tons of hot chicks (see realism remark above) and plenty of entertaining characters. It's not West Wing quality, but at least it's better than 95% of the other crap the Big Four are offering.

das
Um, how is this show really bad? I mean, I hate David Kelley as much as the next guy, and think he's to blame for much of what's wrong with tv of late, but I also think that Boston Public is his one act of redemption. Cliché's, I'm not seeing them, maybe I'm just blind to them because I like this show so much. Threw realism out the window, well I think the character depictions are real, along with what realities they have to face being teachers, and that's what counts for me in tv. We are still talking about tv aren't we. I mean, if all these characters got fired because they were doing their jobs to the best of their abilities, then yes that would be real, but the show would certainly be short lived, don't you think? Tons of hot chicks, well, yeah, that's certainly a plus. Especially Dana Poole. Anyone catch that stripper episode? Ok, I've had my perv moment for the day.
Old 08-16-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JsphOfArimethia
Um, how is this show really bad? I mean, I hate David Kelley as much as the next guy, and think he's to blame for much of what's wrong with tv of late, but I also think that Boston Public is his one act of redemption. Cliché's, I'm not seeing them, maybe I'm just blind to them because I like this show so much. Threw realism out the window, well I think the character depictions are real, along with what realities they have to face being teachers, and that's what counts for me in tv. We are still talking about tv aren't we. I mean, if all these characters got fired because they were doing their jobs to the best of their abilities, then yes that would be real, but the show would certainly be short lived, don't you think? Tons of hot chicks, well, yeah, that's certainly a plus. Especially Dana Poole. Anyone catch that stripper episode? Ok, I've had my perv moment for the day.
I have no problem with a show that's more TV than reality, but the way this show treats itself and attempts to tug at our emotions sets itself for reality scrutiny. Like I said, I watched it every week, so I have no problems with this, but that's the category they've set themselves up as, so they have to deal with the criticism.

Taking that into account, if you've ever taught high school, especially in a multicultural urban environment, you know that things just don't progress in the manner presented on the show. My biggest complaint would be the melodrama. I know this is television, and that's what sells ratings and makes interesting stories, but very little attention is paid to the minor problems that are affecting both the students and the teachers. A teacher's job is not hard because all his students are running from the law or strippers down the street or sleeping with another teacher. Sure, that could happen, and it makes interesting television. But isolating the extremes almost diminishes the real battles that teachers fight every single day ... like parental apathy, lack of school supplies, antiquated textbooks, and almost no support from the community to do an important job.

Before I continue, I'll conceed that Boston Public addresses these issues, but it's almost a token acknowledgement. My favorite moment is when that one parent reminded Harper that not every student at his school has some outlandish problem. Most of them are everyday kids trying to do their best to deal with post-adolescence, find direction in their life, and fit in. That's what high school's about for both the students and the teachers. Every week, they'll throw reality a bone by giving us a glimpse into the hardships that teachers and students face, but they'll quickly abandon that to focus on the sensationalism that sells the show. And that's fine. It's television. But I will not support a comment that says it's an accurate depiction of high school life or a good indication of what it's like to be a teacher. It's quite humorous, has great eye candy, good storylines, and is very entertaining. I will continue to watch it every week next season. But it's not great television.

das
Old 08-16-01, 01:58 PM

My favorite moment is when that one parent reminded Harper that not every student at his school has some outlandish problem. Most of them are everyday kids trying to do their best to deal with post-adolescence, find direction in their life, and fit in.

das
I'm glad you mentioned that, It was one of my favorite eps. And thanks for clarifying your opinion btw, I do appreciate it. I see your points and do agree with a lot of that. For me though, character is what it comes down to, in a movie or a tv show. Both the individual characters and the overall character of the show. As for the extremes the show goes to, we've both touched on this, but I'll say it anyway. 'Comedy is extraordinary people in ordinary circumstances and Drama is ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances.' I think it's met it's requirements for good Drama, which is why I watch, probably the same reason you watch also. Going to those extremes is it's bread and butter. Without them, it's Slacker. Completely realistic, completely boring. No one wants to watch real life. We live it everyday, and tv and movies are some of the many ways we escape it. It seems like this is why you watch it too. So why call it bad tv? As far as not being great. Well they can't all be groundbreaking wonderful shows. Mostly because the ones that are get canned. Sports Night, NewsRadio, EZ Streets, the list goes on. I guess my point is just this, not calling it great tv, fine, and for all the reasons we've both mentioned I can agree with that, but calling it bad. I just don't get that.

BTW, thanks for taking the time on that response, and if you are a teacher, I hope your city mandates a raise as soon and as often as possible. The level of respect teacher's get in this country disgusts me. Hell, the whole public education system disgust me and makes me real, real sad.
Old 08-16-01, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No problem. Glad to see someone actually reads the nonsense I write And you are correct. My refering to it as "bad tv" is quite inaccurate. I'm frequently prone to exageration, so if something doesn't live up to the high standards I set for it, I'll label it "bad" sometimes ... not very fair on my part. I stand by saying it's not great TV, but I will say it's great entertainment.

Everyone watches TV (and film and music ...) for different reasons. Some people just want to escape; others are looking for art; some want reality. For me, I always try to judge something on what it claims to be. 'Bad Boys' is one of my favorite movies. Why? It's nothing more than what it claims to be, and it executes that very well. 'A.I.' is one of my least favorite 'flicks' because it claims to be 5 different things and never executes any of them with any precision. 'The A-Team' - love it ... 'CSI' - hate it. These examples may not be good ones, but the point I'm getting at is that I judge (and enjoy) a show based on how well it executes what it sets itself out to be. This is not to say that I don't enjoy comedy in a Drama, drama in a Comedy, or any combination, but at the heart of every show is an attempt to do "something": entertain, make us laugh, make us think, make us want to kill ourselves (you are the weakest link).

From its presentation, it appears that 'Boston Public' wants to be a show that changes the world and makes people re-examine our country's education system. In that capacity, I think it does a poor job, and I'm quick to label it "bad." From an entertainment perspective, however, it's a great show. The characters are dynamic and entertaining. The dialogue, while unlikely, is creative. And, again, it bears mentioning that the chicks are hot

My God, I'm still typing, and I'm sure no one actually cares about the ramblings in my head so I'll stop now. Unfortunately, I have to say that I am no longer a teacher. I come from a family of teachers, and if I had more integrity I would probably be one today. It's a noble profression, but I realized that while having an aptitute for teaching, I did not have the patience to deal with the "system." I will likely return to the profession in some capacity in the future, but at this point in my life, I'm not ready to deal with all the crap teachers have to put up with when all they're trying to do is help people. Besides, software engineering pays a hell of a lot more money

Thanks for your thoughts as well. Nice to have an intelligent argument/discussion with someone.

das
Old 08-16-01, 03:22 PM

For me, I always try to judge something on what it claims to be. 'Bad Boys' is one of my favorite movies. Why? It's nothing more than what it claims to be, and it executes that very well....From its presentation, it appears that 'Boston Public' wants to be a show that changes the world and makes people re-examine our country's education system.
He he, I do this to. My first impression of this show, through it's previews, can be summed up in three words: David E. Kelley. I had not planned to watch it. It was my mom who dragged me into it. Sidenote: She used to be a teacher. Based on my first impressions my hopes were not high, so when I did watch it (first ep I saw was no.3) I was so suprised it bowled me over. I've been hooked ever since. As for what it claims to be, well I accept marketing for marketing, and David E. Kelley for being a jackass. So I just see it for the show itself. BTW, I'm glad you really do enjoy this show and hope there's more of us out there.
'The A-Team' - love it ... 'CSI' - hate it.
Amen, brother. You have to love the A-team. Bullets flying every episode, no one ever gets killed. Classic television. Never got into CSI. Crime Scene Investigators are just that. Nabbing the bad guys and questioning people still falls to the homicide detectives. JAG's another silly premise. I still watch it though. Catherine Bell's easy on the eyes and A.J.'s a good commander who I'd be proud to work for. Again, character's.

Having said everything, let me add that I do most definitely love technical proficiency in most circumstances (mostly movies) and am often quite aggravated when a movie or show is not even paying attention to what I would define as basic key elements. I guess that it's only really exaggerated and noticeable in as it pertains to my personal fields of expertise. I would also assume this applies to most people as well. For instance, I hate John Woo. When I see someone in his movies shooting a six shot revolver 9 times it's like nails on a chalkboard to me. Flip that coin and I love movies that most people seem to find boring like Ronin or Way of the Gun.
Thanks for your thoughts as well. Nice to have an intelligent argument/discussion with someone.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-16-01, 11:41 PM
Banned

i love this show, watched em all, cant wait for season 2
Old 08-16-01, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Big Pudge
i love this show, watched em all, cant wait for season 2
shouldn't that be season 3? I thought last season was season 2.
Old 08-16-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, I do love this show. One of the few series's that I watch all the time. Great show, but needs more characters for next season. Which is the second season.
Old 08-17-01, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones17

shouldn't that be season 3? I thought last season was season 2.
Nope, last season was its initial season.
Old 08-17-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
By the end of the last season, this was one of the few network shows that was a "must-see"... (along with X Files)
Old 08-17-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Patman

Nope, last season was its initial season.
well, good to know that I didn't miss much then!
Old 08-17-01, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great show!....When does the new season start?
Old 08-17-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yep ... great show. anyone expecting a REAL portrayal of high school life has been watching too much reality TV.
Old 08-17-01, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I doubt many ADULTS watching TV take it as fact.
Children and teenagers on the other hand...

Yes, I realize this is not a children's show, but the fact it is being shown at 8pm means it will be seen by them. That's another issue entirely.

I just find the show way too over the top. Most teachers are dedicated, hardworking and underpaid. The last thing we need to have is a TV show that depicts them as child molesters.

What particularly disturbed me about the show is the episode where the teacher fired off a gun in class. ANY police dept. in the U.S. would throw his ass in prison so fast, regardless of whether the staff agreed with it or not. You can bet he'd be fired on the spot, prosecuted and convicted.

What happened in that episode was so far from the truth it turned me off completely.
Old 08-18-01, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a teacher in an inner city school system, I can honestly say that this show is not very realistic, but who cares? It is still very entertaning. After the first episode I felt like I had been watching these characters for years. Most of the instances depicted on the show have occured in public schools throughout the United States, just not in one school, in one school year.
Old 08-19-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I like the show as does my wife who teaches.
Old 08-20-01, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jeri will be pretty cool. It truly is a spectacular show. I hope that it really takes off in the ratings this season.