Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Malcolm in the Middle on FOX -- Series Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Originally posted by NitroJMS
Malcolm seemed alright tonight, but the show seems to be continually losing steam. I still feel they need to drop the Francis character or just bring him home. Having a character constantly removed from the core action of a 22 minute show really hurts the pacing for me and just limits the better stories that involve Malcolm, Lois and Hal.
I don't necessarily agree. I thought some of the best moments in the show the first couple of seasons was when he was at military school.
Old 11-04-02, 12:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by NitroJMS
Having a character constantly removed from the core action of a 22 minute show really hurts the pacing for me and just limits the better stories that involve Malcolm, Lois and Hal.
The thing is, they been doing this since episode one. If the formula ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 11-04-02, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First episode of this ive seen in a long time...I thought it was pretty funny.
Old 11-04-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
A little off the mark, imo. Malcolm is hitting that taller, deep-voiced period, which might hinder the brainy-kid cuteness that made the show so appealing.

Reese and the goat was funny, but that German ranch owner (oh god, was that Kenneth Mars?) was painful. I like the premise of a clueless Francis at a dude ranch, but I just can't stand the owners.
Old 11-04-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones17
I don't necessarily agree. I thought some of the best moments in the show the first couple of seasons was when he was at military school.
Well yeah - back when he was getting into similar mischief that got him sent to military school in the first place. I agree that Francis' storylines just SUCK lately. His stories (except when he was home) have been little more than boring filler since he emancipated himself and went to Alaska. And I LOATHE that wife of his - if they're trying to make her similar to his mother, it ain't working.
Old 11-04-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually thought it was a really funny episode. The goat was awesome, Malcolm questioning life was good, the guy in the bathroom, et al. Had me laughing the full 30 minutes.
Old 11-04-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a feeling the dude ranch owner is going to end up being a tyrant. So far he's had to deal with the military school commander and Lavernia. I don't expect anything to really change. The guy already hinted at it by telling him how awful it was in Germany where you had to do everything perfectly.
Old 11-24-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Malcom In The Middle 11/24/02

What the hell is up with this stupid voice-over on Malcom tonight? This had the potential of being a great episode, but they ruined it with the stage direction voice overs. Sheesh!

Ok, it is still pretty funny. That would be awesome to steam roll a huge strip of bubble wrap! "It's in the trunk."

-CM-

Last edited by C-Mart; 11-24-02 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-24-02, 11:32 PM

Ok, I feel like an idiot. I had my TV on SAP. The voice over went away when I turned it off.

-CM-
Old 11-25-02, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i was wondering what you were talking about
Old 11-25-02, 02:14 AM

I was messing around with the TV settings earlier because I hooked up my computer speakers to the Audio out plugs, and it was coming out very quit, so I changed some of the settings in hopes of getting decent sound out of the tv itself. It didn't help and I had to settle for just getting good sound out of my DVD player instead. Apparently I forgot to put the settings back the way that they were.

-CM-
Old 11-25-02, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I enjoyed it. the whole steam roller bit was great.
Old 11-25-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by C-Mart
Ok, I feel like an idiot. I had my TV on SAP. The voice over went away when I turned it off.
"stage direction"
Old 11-25-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That was a funny episode. I liked that Malcolm started acting stupid for awhile. The Minty Mint's song is great.
Old 11-25-02, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
"stage direction"
Ok, whatever it is called. I know it isn't stage direction... but it was everything that would be in the script except for dialogue. things like "Malcom faces us," and "Dewey steps into the path of the steam roller," stuff like that.

-CM-
Old 11-25-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The steamroller was a retread of the chipper that they used to get rid of the "sacred" tree that Hal cut down a few seasons ago. I wasn't too impressed with the episode overall.
Old 11-25-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by C-Mart
Ok, whatever it is called. I know it isn't stage direction... but it was everything that would be in the script except for dialogue. things like "Malcom faces us," and "Dewey steps into the path of the steam roller," stuff like that.
I wasn't laughing at your phrasing, I was laughing that you left it on for the entire episode.
Old 11-25-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Normally SAP is for dubbing Spanish or another language, sounds like this case was descriptions of the action for the blind.
Old 11-25-02, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Roto
Normally SAP is for dubbing Spanish or another language, sounds like this case was descriptions of the action for the blind.
Ah, that makes sense! and BwG I didn't know that it was on. I thought that it was some kind of gimmick. Then when it came on again with the following rerun, I knew it was something else, and remembered that I had been playing with the settings earlier.

-CM-
Old 11-25-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by movieking
The steamroller was a retread of the chipper that they used to get rid of the "sacred" tree that Hal cut down a few seasons ago. I wasn't too impressed with the episode overall.
I also thought it was similar to the chipper, but thought it was brilliant, since Hal got a taste of destruction with the chipper and since has longed for something more... I thought this episode was ****ing hysterical... absolutely brilliant... the steam roller ruled...

MATT

and when Dewey found the wrecking ball pamphlet in Hals pocket...priceless
Old 01-05-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts
Malcom in the Middle (01/05)

The Hal speed walking plot was about the funniest thing I've seen on TV all season.
Old 01-05-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Boring, utterly boring. You know, this is the first time in years I have actually watched a full night of network tv, and I came away VERY dissapointed.
Old 01-05-03, 10:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

The Malcom Ulcer was pretty funny, reminded me of the Simpsons where Homer can't talk and starts becoming very thoughtful and considerate. Hal Speed Walking was great. And the boots thing was boring until that gruesome and hilarious payoff at the end. The date thing was decent. Good show especially with speed walking.
Old 01-06-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I enjoyed seeing Reagan Dale Neis from Maybe it's Me as Malcolm's girlfriend.
Old 01-06-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was funny; mainly because I went to the Junior Olympics 4 times because I was a good racewalker. I liked the stuff about floating and no bent knees. Racewalking is definately odd and not to be confused with mallwalking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.