Cary Elwes Joins 'The X-Files'

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Friday, August 10, 2001 5:22 CDT

Cary Elwes has joined the cast of Fox Broadcasting Co.'s drama "The X-Files." According to the Hollywood Reporter, he will play the recurring character of FBI assistant director Brad Follmer, ex-boyfriend of special agent Monica Reyes (Annabeth Gish).

"It's not just adding a terrific actor, it's adding somebody of a certain stature to the show," creator/executive producer Chris Carter said of Elwes' signing. He said the producers' goal was to cast someone very different from special agent John Dogget (Robert Patrick). "(Follmer) is a guy who is a little more buttoned up, a little more polished; he represents a different kind of FBI," Carter said.
Yes! This might help.
Old 08-10-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm keeping an open mind for this season, but if the stories don't continue to be interesting, there is a lot of good stuff coming.
Old 08-10-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i don't think that i'll be able to keep a straight face while watching him if that's true. i just keep thinking of robin hood: men in tights. hehe
Old 08-10-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just end it already.

Without Mulder, it just doesn't work. It's a pale, pale shadow of its former paranoid glory. Piling on the guest stars to try to hide the massive hole in the remaining cast isn't going to solve any problems.

In fact, it will most likely create all new ones.

END IT PLEASE!!
Old 08-10-01, 11:43 AM

INCONCEIVABLE!
Old 08-10-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
as....you....wish!
Old 08-10-01, 07:29 PM

I agree, they're beating a dead horse.
Old 08-10-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To me, the X-Files was always Mulder's show. His pusuit of the truth, his quest for his sister, etc. All the other stories and characters were secondary, even the Scully driven ones. To continue on without Mulder just seems wrong. The should have quit but at the very least retitle the series such as "Further Conspiracies of the X-Files" (or something hopefully more clever). I look at it more like a spin off now. It's not the same show and I doubt I'll watch it that often. To be truthful, I watched less than 10 episodes last year.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
Old 08-11-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
d-e-s-p-e-r-a-t-i-o-n

This fall, I will be watching The Sopranos on Sunday nights instead.
Old 08-11-01, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
BTW, I've heard his name pronounced Elways and Yules, which is correct?
Old 08-11-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
BTW, I've heard his name pronounced Elways and Yules, which is correct?
Elways
Old 08-11-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gee I guess that means Agt. Reyes isn't a lesbian....unless he was her last boyfriend and he was so horrible that he made her "switch teams". Ha ha ha ha (I know, that was bad)
Old 08-11-01, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quick question: does anyone think the show would have been popular if they would have added Bruce Campbell instead of Robert Patrick? I know BC did an ep. as a demon but who cares right?
Old 08-11-01, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hell Yes!!

The last season would have been a lot more popular if Bruce Campbell would have been cast insead of Robert Patrick. Not only would you have had the returning X-Files fans, but you would also have all of Bruce's fans watching the show. They could have easily doubled the viewers with Bruce. Bruce Campbell has such a large cult following, and people under estimate that. I think they made a big mistake going with Robert, but that is just my opinion.
Old 08-11-01, 10:31 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I like Cary Elwes and he might be a good addition to the show, but I think I'll stick with HBO's Sunday night shows instead.
Old 08-13-01, 10:57 AM

Is Gillian Anderson returning this fall?
Old 08-13-01, 11:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by junkie
Is Gillian Anderson returning this fall?
Unfortunately yes. She is under contract to appear in every single episode. It's not that I don't like her, I love her. However, I could actually buy the an X-Files: The Next Generation if she also left the FBI. How do they explain Mulder's complete absence from Scully's life while she works at the FBI still raising her baby alone?

It's going to feel like Scully is the 5th wheel.
Old 08-13-01, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Cary Elwes has joined the cast of Fox Broadcasting Co.'s drama "The X-Files." According to the Hollywood Reporter, he will play the recurring character of FBI assistant director Brad Follmer, ex-boyfriend of special agent Monica Reyes (Annabeth Gish).
Well that just killed it for me right there. I have a hard enough time dealing with Gish, but now she needs a boyfriend? An Assistant Director boyfriend?

Memo to Chris Carter: when did your storyline get abducted by Aliens?
Old 08-14-01, 08:25 PM

The man in black working for the X-files.
Somehow it's appropriate.
Old 08-14-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Is Lucy Lawless still scheduled to show up?

I admit that losing Duchovney is like losing a leg, but maybe with a couple of extra arms and boobs , it'll at least be interesting.
Old 08-15-01, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Iron Chef
d-e-s-p-e-r-a-t-i-o-n

This fall, I will be watching The Sopranos on Sunday nights instead.
well, if you are, you will be watching reruns. the next season of the sopranos won't be ready to show until next summer and might not air until fall of 2002. maybe you will give the old show a chance since you won't be seeing tony and carmela anytime soon.

i agree it's not the same without mulder. however, it's still better than most tv shows even while on the decline. i'm a loyal fan of the show and very much hope to see david and gillian back in another movie.

until then, i will give the show the benefit of the doubt. it's like x-files new generation anyway, without mulder and soon gillian. i can't blame fox for trying to save it, fox has very little in the way of dramatic television.

i will say, though, you can only forstall an alien conquest for so long. so they really better be ready to explain some stuff or go in very new directions that make some sense. i just want to see how they will explain scully having a baby, kissing mulder, and then beginning the new season with mulder gone again. if they can make that work, maybe the show has some new life after all.
Old 08-15-01, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think this upcoming season will have so many ups and downs that it could possibly ruin the series. They have to explain all these new characters plus explain what happened to Mulder, what might become of Scully, etc. The show might just go into information overload.