Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New CNN Headline News - it's on crack!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-01, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
New CNN Headline News - it's on crack!

Not to bring "serious" TV into this forum or anything, but does anyone watch Headline News? The new format they premiered yesterday may be the greatest abomination since "The Avengers" movie. It is so terrible looking that it boggles the mind. It's got like 40,000 things going on at once on the screen, little bleeping lights, glittering graphics, talking heads - it's like they decided let's rip off the WORST elements of the Internet and make it 'hip.' I can't imagine this will help their viewership; older viewers will turn it off and get their news elsewhere and younger viewers werent' going to watch the news in the first place. Man, it's ugly....
Old 08-07-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched it last night after the story was plastered all over newspapers and on the internet. There is WAY too much information on the screen at once. It is impossible to keep up with all the information flying on the screen. People need to learn from ESPN and have news stories on the bottom instead of 15 different things in the bottom third of the screen. It's insane.
Old 08-07-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
They should go back to the ticker format and lose the weather part of the ticker. Everyone has the Weather Channel for weather. Just do sports scores at the bottom.
Old 08-07-01, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they are trying to outdo Bloomberg for most information on the screen at one time.

Do they really think we need to digest all that information in one sitting? It's way to much to just go by and get what you need at a glance - and if you are, you aren't listening to what the anchors and reporters are telling you.

Just give me the news - a snazzy graphics package does not impress me.
Old 08-07-01, 03:34 PM

I started a thread on this yesterday, but I was mainly complaining about the content. I noticed that they're cutting away to in-studio anchors more, rather than just playing the (more in-depth) stories from CNN. It's become "personality driven." And the stories are less news, more fluff. This morning I found myself watching the original CNN . . . at least that's still mostly "just news."

The graphics don't bother me that much, but I prefer the old ticker (although it could have been a bit more colorful). I, like many others I hope, will rarely watch it.
Old 08-07-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Agreed...it sucks now. There is way too much on screen.
Old 08-07-01, 09:17 PM

If TV was non-linear rather than force-fed, it would be good. What I mean is, it would be cool to be able to click on something on the TV and have it go directly to a report. But since we don't have that, it's suck.
Old 08-07-01, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Eggman
I think they are trying to outdo Bloomberg for most information on the screen at one time.
Yep. I think it's a horrible idea. I can't stand the Bloomberg and MSNBC (among others) style of layout. TMI, TMI! I get confused when the local news has just the time and temp down in the righthand corner
Old 08-08-01, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

the problem is the bottom of the screen is so big they have to shrink the video image to the top corner of the screen to maintain the aspect ratio. this means the left side is filled with a useless graphic. Its okay on a 35" tv, but i wouldnt wanna watch on a 13"
Old 08-08-01, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
looking at it, I'm reminded of that SNL skit with Tim Meadows.

"Now lets put up a picture of the Terminator. Cool!"
Old 08-08-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
They should go back to the ticker format and lose the weather part of the ticker. Everyone has the Weather Channel for weather. Just do sports scores at the bottom.
By that argument, everyone has ESPN for sports...
Old 08-08-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish

Exactly what I said (in the other thread)

das
Old 08-08-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
The should ditch the weather map. I mean, cmon, who REALLY wants to know all the weather around the entire country all the time? Then they could squish the remaining ticker text into a small area at the bottom of the screen, and then they wouldn't have to crowd the video into the upper-right corner.
Old 08-16-01, 04:55 AM

Well, we are not the only ones who've noticed CNN's recent drug habit. The Daily Show just did a bit on it. Funny as hell.

CNN clip - "Hello, I'm Andrea Thompson, but unless you've been living in cave all this time, you already know that."
Jon Stewart - (takes a pause as he laughs to himself, then proceeds) "Unless we've been living in a cave all covered in pictures of Andrea Thompson."
Old 08-16-01, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish

exactly! And he ducks under the MSNBC logo to try to see the camera. Hahaha. classic.