TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Wild Iris" and "James Dean"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Wild Iris" and "James Dean"

Well, Sunday night (Aug. 5) was a really good night for
made-for-TV movies. (which aren't usually what I watch)

but I taped and watched WILD IRIS (Showtime) with Laura Linney, Gena Rowlands and Fred Ward.

also taped JAMES DEAN which stars James Franco (Freeks n Geeks) in the title role and some more obscure character actors playing the likes of Elia Kazan, Martin Landau, Jack Warner (director played him i think) etc.

"Wild Iris" is about a single mother (Linney) living with her son at her mother's house (Rowlands). Gena Rowlands owns and operates a bridal shop which Linney works at.
Linney's husband killed himself and she is an alcoholic. Her boy is pretty screwed up too in that he is completely shy without friends.
Rowlands gets on Linney's nerves all the time and they fight constantly. Fred Ward plays the father of a girl that is getting married but he doesn't want to pay for her a nice wedding in a church but instead wants her to go to the courthouse and get it done.
I know these points don't really add up but I dont wanna give the whole thing away. Laura Linney (barely wearing a stitch of makeup is great as usual) and Gena Rowlands seems like she was born to play this know-it-all, ears-closed character.

the kid isn't too bad and i dont know his name Emile something i think.

"James Dean" I started watching this at about 2 a.m. and planned on just seeing what he looked like for five minutes and then calling it quits but it mesmerized me into finishing it.

James Franco is absolutely unbelievable as Dean and especially with the mannerisms and body movement (including the classic slouch). This kid just nails the part. It's also cool to see all the "Old Hollywood" stars, studio heads and directors being played here. I know I missed some people so I'll have to look closer the second time. Martin Landau is on-screen a lot as he is the primary guy that J.D. hangs out with. They hint at his sexual preference on several occaisions. I read a review over the weekend saying it was just hinting but it was very clear that they were saying he was either bi-sexual or gay. Although he does get with women in the movie. The fella that plays Dean's father is also extremely good in his role of brushing James off when he nine and trying to stay away from him for the last 15 years of his short life. Elia Kazan and Jack Warner(as in Bros.) were both enjoyable characters to watch being portrayed.

Hope this helps some people into checking these out if not now then on DVD or Video in the near future when they're released.

I know James Dean will be on a handful of times over the next week or so.
Wild Iris is on Showtime so it should also air several more times this month.
Old 08-06-01, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Franco was so great on Freaks and Geeks that I got all jazzed about his TV-movie bio of James Dean.

Darned if it didn't surpass all my expectations. Franco really deserves an emmy nod for this one...
Old 08-06-01, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by adamblast
Franco was so great on Freaks and Geeks that I got all jazzed about his TV-movie bio of James Dean.

Darned if it didn't surpass all my expectations. Franco really deserves an emmy nod for this one...

I wouldn't be surprised at all if James Franco gets an
Emmy nomination. He was terrific.
Old 08-07-01, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't agree with you more about James Franco as DEAN.... the part where he wouldn't come to the set during GIANT areally freaked me out ... IT was UNCANNY!!! He seemed to have the mannerisms down very , very well.

He was great & the movie was prety damm good...although at 9:45 I started to think it was going to be atwo parter & I feel that they wrapped it up all too quick.

That reminds me, why the hell arn't the 3 JDEAN movies on DVD yet?