Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Murder in Small Town X...more like Stinker in Small Town Suck

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Murder in Small Town X...more like Stinker in Small Town Suck

Granted, I only watched like fifteen minutes of it, but that was enough for me. It sounded like an interesting concept, but the actual show was...booooooring! I thought the contestants were supposed to "solve" the murder. Maybe it got better (tell me if it did), but on the part I watched, they were leading them around by the noses.

"Stop the tape. What did you see there?"

"Uh, I saw her grab her head like this."

"No, you saw a flash of light. What was that?"

Silence

"Maybe you should find out what that was"

Eh, whatever...click...Hey, Frazier's on. Cool!
Old 07-24-01, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will delet my thread

I thought parts of it was cool like a giant game of clue

but other parts were just plain silly and dumb

but the one host type guy can really point them in any direction he feels like: it isnt like they are REALLY finding their own clues
Old 07-24-01, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I probably should have given it more time. I just found my patience wearing fast. It's a shame, too, because I was really intrigued by the concept. Maybe that was the problem -- I was expecting too much.
Old 07-24-01, 09:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't think it was that bad, although I wish they would drop the pretense that this is real, that's going to get old fast. I found it helpful though to do something else while it was on (aka my living room is finally clean which means I have a week to trash it again before next weeks show ).
Old 07-24-01, 09:45 PM

Right I wish they would just treat it more like a game instead of treating it SO REAL.

It should be like Mystery Murder Theater or something.

The two that went out that had the 50/50 shot of being killed acted like they were dying or something. Yes it can be "freaky and scary" but the one that got the axe was saying goodbye to her kids for crying out loud!

And it's a catch 22 with the evidence. You want to MAKE them figure it out on their own. But you need a show out of it, so you have to "help them along" and point things out to them when they didn't SEE something YOU NEEDED THEM TO SEE for tv purposes. What if it was a BIG CLUE, especially a CLUE that was MISLEADING that they NEEDED them to see that they may have missed and wouldn't have thrown them off track. Then the producers (host) points it out to them just to lead them astray?!

Or they are so far off that he has to get them back. So then it's not really them doing the work.
Or what if they figured the damn thing out in like a day? How funny would that be! So ofcourse it more setup and has the big disappointing chance of just another show where we "vote someone off every three days" untill we get a winner, oh and by the way "find the killer".

I'll watch again and see what happens for the heck of it.
Old 07-24-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree that they should treat it as what it is, a fictional murder mystery. It is very annoying that they try to play it up as being this "reality tv" show. There's nothing real about it, they don't even find their own clues. I think that the murder and the clues are pretty farfetched too. Who would leave those pictures lying around, in a clock? They keep playing up the fisherman guy as the bad guy so obviously it won't be him. I'm thinking the priest, no one suspects him, or maybe one of those freaky sweepers, what was up with that, did they have suits on or was I seeing things? And yes I know they are not suspects.

Other then that it wasn't too bad.
Old 07-24-01, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it was pretty silly. i don't know how they can keep from laughing while these fake fights are breaking out and people are acting all tough.

what i want to know is, where did they shoot this? i can't imagine they have a whole town full of actors in on the game, they certainly couldn't afford that, but then again, how else could you do it?

it sounded really cool, but i doubt i'll watch it again. i'd rather watch 'fear' on mtv, i thought that was really fun to watch.