Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

MTV Is Bringing Back Their 'Unplugged' Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-01, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MTV Is Bringing Back Their 'Unplugged' Series

NEW YORK (AP) - MTV is unplugging again.

The cable music network is bringing back the "Unplugged" series, in which artists perform acoustic versions of their hits in front of a studio audience. "Unplugged" first became popular in the early '90s, with performances by Nirvana, 10,000 Maniacs and Eric Clapton, among others.

The new shows are scheduled to begin airing at 8 p.m. EDT Aug. 9 on MTV2, starting with R.E.M. Future episodes will feature Lauryn Hill, Staind and Shakira.

Once the shows have aired on MTV2, they will rerun on MTV, the network announced Saturday.
Cool.
Old 07-23-01, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
It's about time that they brought back some actual music to their channel.
Old 07-23-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can just see it now. Britney Spears - Unplugged.

Oh, wait this will never happen because Britney is a no talent ass-clown. Thank goodness that Unplugged is restricted to actual artists and that people will have a chance to see an actual artist perform, rather than a marketing toy.
Old 07-23-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first few seasons were great when it's creator, Jules Shear. hosted it. There were some memorable performances, remember Jules would come out and play a song with the artist at the end of the show...good stuff. It started to get bad when the bands started to "plug in" and it ceased to be a raw musical performance.
Old 07-23-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually if you read your TV Guide last week - the R.E.M. episode was supposed to debut last Thursday, I believe. Of course, in typical MTV fashion, it didn't happen. So I sit there hoping for a glimpse of the "Reveal" album live - and what do I get instead? Some tuneless, tone-deaf rap "jam" by P. Dicky and his tribe, a couple scream-and-hop "nu" metal videos, and some new J.-Lo-to-No-Talent bimbette workout video.

Exactly WHO is MTV's target audience these days? Do they even know?
Old 07-23-01, 11:22 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by grunter
Exactly WHO is MTV's target audience these days? Do they even know?
dimwitted teenagers, didn't you know that? I know this because of the kids that go to my high school; they talk about the musicless shows written by no-talented writers the next day in school after they see them.
Old 07-23-01, 12:15 PM

Actually if you read your TV Guide last week - the R.E.M. episode was supposed to debut last Thursday, I believe. Of course, in typical MTV fashion, it didn't happen.

I was diappointed by this too, but I'll be damned if I'd actually sit there and WATCH Mtv waiting for R.E.M. to come on
Old 07-23-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I'm glad they are doing this. 2 of the best CDs ever were the Nirvana and Alice In Chains unplugged sessions. I can't wait to hear the Staind one.
Old 07-23-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Deftones17
I'm glad they are doing this. 2 of the best CDs ever were the Nirvana and Alice In Chains unplugged sessions. I can't wait to hear the Staind one.
Why wait to hear Staind? Simply turn on your radio at any time - night or day - to any station with any type of
"rock" format whatsoever and you'll hear Staind.

In the OED, next to the word "overplayed" is an entry that reads: "It's Been Awhile" by Staind.

F'in corporate radio bastards.
Old 07-23-01, 12:59 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
In the OED, next to the word "overplayed" is an entry that reads: "It's Been Awhile" by Staind.

F'in corporate radio bastards.
Kinda like how REM was played on MTV and every other radio station back in their heyday
Old 07-23-01, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I wish they would've shown the STEVIE RAY VAUGHN unplugged again INSTEAD of repeating the 10,000 MANIACS everyday...
Old 07-23-01, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I wish they would've shown the STEVIE RAY VAUGHN unplugged again INSTEAD of repeating the 10,000 MANIACS everyday...
Yes that is a great one. Wasn't Joe Satriani on that same show?
Old 07-23-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Strangely, the one I have heard clips of and would actually like to hear more of the performance is of LL COOL J's Unplugged.

I don't want to hear any noise from the peanut gallery, btw.

BSPY
Old 07-24-01, 05:56 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
The LL Cool J and De La Soul episodes are 2 of the best. Others that were good were Alice In Chains, Crowded House, Cranberries, The Cure, Duran Duran, Chris Issak, Nirvana, and SRV.

They also had this badass Spoken Word one where poets would come up and do their bit, they had 2 or 3 of them IIRC.
Old 07-24-01, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like to see the Denis Leary Unplugged and see "assh*le" perfomed in it's "rawest" form!!
Old 07-24-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Does anyone in MTV's target audience even know who REM is?

I guarantee you that there will be an Unplugged featuring a boy band. One or two of them will have acoustic guitars and there will be piano, etc. as backup.
Old 07-24-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jason

I guarantee you that there will be an Unplugged featuring a boy band. One or two of them will have acoustic guitars and there will be piano, etc. as backup.
My props to them if they can pull it off too.
Old 07-25-01, 02:14 AM

Unplugged had some truly classic performances. Why is it that the only Unplugged show available on DVD (in it's entirety - not as a "best of" collection) is Eric Clapton's? The DVD, btw looks like it was taken frm. a VHS copy.
Where's the Unplugged performances by: KISS, Bryan Adams, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Oasis, etal?
Old 07-25-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad they're doing this. However, I doubt they'll have anyone that I'll really want to see. Staind I'm kind of curious about, but I could easily miss that and not care..

I wish they'd replay the old ones again. I want to see some of those again like AiC, Nirvana, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clapton, and I'd also like to see LL Cool J's, just out of curiousity.

Pearl Jam did an unplugged?
Old 07-25-01, 02:14 PM

Let's see, upcoming "performers":

Nsync
BBS
Britney
Christina A-last-name-i-can't-spell-lara
Actually I started out liking her until she join the scream feast and try to show off her non-existing boobs!
Just sooooooo sad!
Old 07-25-01, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Great news! Some of my favs were:
REM
Sting
Paul McCartney
John Mellencamp
Pearl Jam
Clapton
10,000 Maniacs
Nirvana

Bring it on...
Old 07-25-01, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Yes, Pearl Jam did a fantastic unplugged. Most of the stuff was off 10 or before.

I've been trying to get a copy of this for years audio only. Any help?

BSPY
Old 07-25-01, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i really wish that they would release these on dvd. they have started to release compilation discs but i want the oasis one with noel singing. i think that was probably the best oasis performance i have heard. they sound much with noel than with liam. c'mon mtv, hurry up and release it!
Old 07-25-01, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by iawiaw
Let's see, upcoming "performers":

Nsync
BBS
Britney
Christina A-last-name-i-can't-spell-lara
Actually I started out liking her until she join the scream feast and try to show off her non-existing boobs!
Just sooooooo sad!
If you honestly thought about it, they could very well seriously be on the show. I know (by channel surfing and whatnot) they can do acoustic songs, or fake it. Sure, you won't like it, but it'll still attract an audience, I mean that's the only reason why shows like "Undressed" on still on MTV, they don't even appeal to the screaming teenie-boppers, but some (not a lot) of college students do watch during that late night timeslot.

Christina Aguilera could probably be the first to do "Unplugged". She's similar to Mariah Carey, with her voice being her big "unique" thing, and Mariah Carey managed to do a show.
Old 07-25-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef
I can just see it now. Britney Spears - Unplugged.

Oh, wait this will never happen because Britney is a no talent ass-clown. Thank goodness that Unplugged is restricted to actual artists and that people will have a chance to see an actual artist perform, rather than a marketing toy.
Damn dude. Can't you just accept that different people have different tastes and interests?

BTW, great to see this. Wow, three points for MTV today. This, the Fuel show, and the Godsmack show earlier in the night.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.