Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Has reality TV gone too far? Poll from a CBS TV station in Sacremento,CA!!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-01, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did something big happen on Big Brother 2? Somebody had sex? There was nudity? Swearing? I find it rather ironic the station asking this a CBS station in Sacremento,CA!! What happened on thier networks reality series to get them to ask this stupid question? I wish our reality shows were more like those in Europe and Austriala(spelling) the land down under! At least they have nudity,swearing etc our people are too froghten to see in realty? Yet they watch movies with nudity,swearing ,sex etc on the movie screens across the USA and ir's OK there?

Or has reality TV gone too far?Maybe not far enough yet?

http://www.kovr13.com/

Has reality TV gone too far?

77% YES:

23% NO:

"Yes. Who,does it benefit?All it is,is fanatic TV just like the movies.Who's influencing our children?"
- Richard H. Bodendorfer / Stockton, CA

"No. It's fun, it's real. All thanks to MTV!"
- Terra Johnson / Sacramento, CA

"Yes. There are so many of them that people are tired of seeing the samething. In the beginning they were interesting, but more and more of these shows are coming on, and its ridiculous."
- Hazel Yurong / Stockton, CA

"Yes. In a sense it has but then again it is up to the individual person as to what they choose to watch. I think rather than blame TV for mishpas that happen we need to look at ourselves. Mature people should know that certain things should not be attempted at home, though many have tried and gotten injured in doing so. Parents need to take more responsibility in what they allow their children to watch. TV is not a babysitter and should not be used as such."
- Diana / Elk Grove, CA

"No. THAT'S THE KIND OF TV PEOPLE ARE WANTING TO WATCH THESE DAY'S AND AS LONG AS PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO WATCH WHY NOT!"
- ANDREA FARIAS / STOCKTON, CA

"Yes. When people convince themself what they're doing is fine when its not, as the Entertainment Industry exploits the situation to the point of participants wanting to hurt either themself, or others then we need to ask: is reality what transpires on the screen, or is it what we manifest in developing the idea for the show? Where's the responsibility for each?"
- Albert Franklin / Modesto, CA

"Yes. I don't think reality TV is the problem we need to find out why society is so bored it has to watch this kind of stuff."
- Bill / Sacramento, CA

"No. I think if people are willing to do the things these TV shows ask of them, that's their decision. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Reality TV, what do you think the NEWS is. The News is the most violent reality TV there is; have they gone to far?"
- Jenni / Modesto, CA

"Yes. I can't believe the idiotic things people will do to be on TV and maybe win some money. And what's with the people who watch this stuff? Like other fads, reality TV will eventually burn itself out and just maybe we'll see some good TV shows for a change. If not, I'll stick to PBS and cable."
- Mandy / Carmichael, CA

"Yes. This genre is relentlessly boring and self-indulgent. To hear the contestants nattering on nearly endlessly about themselves and the inconsequential, trivial minutiae of their lives and the silly, contrived task at hand is simply dull. The only things duller seem to be the lives of the audience watching, and they are to be pitied. Thank God and the Democrats for Public Broadcasting."
- Nicholas von Teck, USN (Ret.) / Delhi, CA

"No. Reality TV is great. The murder mistery one is certainly questionable. I wonder how much money CBS is getting from the tabacco companies since about 7 out of the 12 contestants on Big Brother are smokers."
- Ron / Elk Grove, CA

"Yes. I find the current wave of these types of programs to be tasteless, repetitive, boring and cheap to make. No wonder they're growing in popularity with the networks. As TV a viewer, I have no choice but to watch videos."
- Lisa M / Sacramento, CA

"No. I think there has to be something for everyone to watch on TV. Personally, I find it amusing. I like to tune into that rather than the other stuff that's on. If you are opposed to it, don't watch it. There are a whole lot of other stations to watch."
- Natasha Gray / Sacramento, CA

"Yes. I don't think they need to go any further to prove that a good portion of this country lacks good taste. Speaking of good taste, CBS doesn't seem to mind. Anything for a buck!"
- Peter T. Gonos / Shingle Springs, CA

"Yes. But what the hell. We have menbers in the State House and or Senate debating if we should give illegals Drivers license. You tell me who has gone too far, The jokers on T.V. or the leaders in State and Federal Government?"
- Bob T / Sacto, CA

"No. T.V. and Politics are somewhat akin to each other. The people get that, which they deserve and demand."
- James Pilkington / Sonora, CA

"Yes. I believe the biggest "lie" about "reality Tv" is just that: it is NOT reality--at all!!! It' s comprised Mostly(not entirely, of course) of "wanna-be" "pretty boy and pretty girl" actors and actresses hoping that a producer will spot them. Just the fact that the "Emmy association(if you will)" is planning on creating a "best reality tv series" is a perfect example of the hypocracy of reality tv. How can a show that is presumably "reality" ,have a category in the midst of "fictional" shows?!?!"
- Scott MacGregor / Sacramento, CA

"No. I think that is actually what the public is looking for. They can look at these shows and realize what people will actually do for money."
- Lisa / Modesto, CA

"Yes. Too much sex, killing, crime in the shows showing kids how to kill. Clean up the shows, one of the best in years is on called Doc. it is very good."
- Don Hixon / Vacaville, CA

"Yes. We continue to add more segments to TV that make us desensitsized to what is appropriate viewing and what isn't. Before we know it, we are watching things we would have never watched before or our family is. We must lead by example and so many of our friends as well as us, are turning the TV more often than before. There are consequences to watching these programs and participating in them. Are we ready for that?"
- T. Gardner / Sacramento, CA

"No. That is the purpose of the show's "Reality". This is how the "real world" is. I've watched every episode of Survivor I & II, and Big Brother I. I enjoy them. I am looking forward to Survivor III!!"
- Gloria / Sacramento, CA

"Yes. Reality TV has overstepped the bounds of decency and respect for humanity by capitalizing on individuals who do not have the capacity, either because of age or mental ability, to know that they are being victimized publically. Viewers with any kind of decency should boycott such programs."
- Silvia Moran / Sacramento, CA

"Yes. When we have lunatics wanting to slit some woman's throat live on television, yeah, you could say that..."
- Mike Halvorsen / Y.C., CA

"No. Too far for what? Like almost all other TV I personally don't watch any of them as I find them to be a waste of time. What I don't understand is what anyone gets out of such drivel as to why they watch them."
- Don Riley / North Highlands, CA

"Yes. I can't believe networks display the worst possible people interactions possible. The Darva Congers and O.J. Simpsons of the world should be not only discouraged but saparated from society. The worst personalities are being glorified as winners in a game of life which closely resembles video game stupidity. It seems that each contestant in every senerio screws over another to win a prize,. a human prize. The more I watch the more I want to disassociate myself with the negligent network showing these programs. Why do wehave bullies and idiots in schools, watch TV I'm glad most sports programs have a little effort in keeping the real personalities of some out of the childrens eyes. I hope reality TV does the same or they lose a miilion more viewers like myself who are not religeous but would rather not be subjected to lazy Gerry Springer producers retarding our society."
- G. Sherman / W. Sacramento, CA

"Yes. It's pretty pathetic when you're into everyone elses business but your own. Turn off the TV and get a life!"
- Michael Coleman / Sacramento, CA

"Yes. Perhaps it's a sign of the times that viewers derive some sort of voyeuristic pleasure from peering into the private lives and struggles of others. Would viewers in the past -- say the 1950s -- have gotten their "jollies" this way? I don't think so. We seem to have lost our discretion, integrity, and dignity. Sad, isn't it?"
- Barbara Jensen / Turlock, CA

"Yes. Money talks and whatever people will watch is what the producers are going to capitalize on. As long as people are willing to alter their lives for money, then the viewers will feed off of it."
- Cookie / West Sacramento, CA

"Yes. Every time I think that they have gone too far. . . I new show comes on the air that takes it another step. So what is too far. Hasn't already gotten there?"
- David A. Simpson / Elk Grove, CA

"No. No it has not . I like to watch reality tv shows a lot, they are really cool."
- David Meeker / Elk Grove, CA

"Yes. Haven't the tv executives noticed that the TV shows and movies that get the best ratings have entertainment value other than SEX? It's sooooo last year. Does someone need to be killed by either an accident or another contestant to get the message?"
- Linda Black / Citrus Heights, CA
Old 07-26-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I was doing a search for someone's name and this popped up.

This sucker is just as timely today and from the lack of response I would say the thread was ahead of its time.

I say reality tv has gone too far in their stretching of reality.
Old 07-27-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Aaron Amos was a prophet, but nobody would listen.
Old 07-27-05, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My personal reality tv hatred right now is all these celebrity/ semi-celebrity "life" shows:
being bobby brown
Hogan knows best
britney and kevin chaotic
viva la bam
the stupid malibu one
and countless others that are appearing..

I mean sure it was entertaining the first couple times: osbournes, newlyweds.
but seriously does every person that has ever made a few bucks in the entertainment industry need there own?