Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How to make Enterprise series look pre-ST:TOS?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How to make Enterprise series look pre-ST:TOS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-01, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife and I were jokingly talking about the new Enterprise series that is supposed to take place before Star Trek original series. The joke was how to make that show look like pre original series. That would mean some pretty simple props! Maybe have 50% less flashing lights?
Old 06-20-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Well since the women wore miniskirts in TOS, the women in the new series would probably have to be naked or at the most wear thong bikinis.
Old 06-20-01, 02:57 PM

Red Dog, good point. And then there are the Klingons. What would they look like?
Old 06-20-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rascal
Red Dog, good point. And then there are the Klingons. What would they look like?
Klingons will be ridged like they should be. The TOS years represent a specific time period in Klingon history when some Klingons didn't have the ridges. The common belief used to be that they were genetically altered to better interact with and infiltrate Humans in space. This belief was altered a bit when Worf noted "we don't like to talk about that" when asked about it in Trials and Tribbleations.

das
Old 06-20-01, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It will be interesting to see if they get it right, or majorally botch it. I'm off on to watch Babylon 5, the one that got it right.
Old 06-20-01, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
WARNING!!! ETHNIC/SEXIST JOKES AHEAD...THESE ARE JUST JOKES!!!!

Originally posted by Red Dog
Well since the women wore miniskirts in TOS, the women in the new series would probably have to be naked or at the most wear thong bikinis.

No no no . You got it all wrong.

WoMEN(just for you LUNACY ) won't be allowed on the ENTERPRISE.

And the first woman let aboard will be the ship's secretary. And all the Senior Crew Members will sexually harass her by calling her "HONEY" and pinching her ample ass. She will also have to pick up Backula's DRY CLEANING and get his coffee .

Blacks will have to ride on the back of the ship. And will only work in the turbolifts, galley, and cargo hold. They will also work in Engineering...handling the newly dicovered HAZARDOUS MATERIAL DAILITHIUM. Once they discover how to safely handle DAILITHIUM, the blacks will be moved out and other races will take over the duty.

Hispanics Everyone knows there are no Latinos in space...haven't you heard the joke? And Chakotay doesn't count because he's playing an AMERICAN INDIAN( I can say that around here right? )

[Edited by Giantrobo on 06-20-01 at 05:12 PM]
Old 06-20-01, 07:11 PM

i believe worf once also made note that those were "Southern Klingons"
Old 06-20-01, 08:10 PM
Cool New Member

The Klingons don't have to have ridges. Just get some humans with goatees! Now that's a Klingon!
Old 06-20-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Robo - You're a baaaaaaadddd boy.
Old 06-20-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Elektra
Old 06-20-01, 10:15 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Shouldn't this series have Stephen Collins as the captain?
Old 06-21-01, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Shouldn't this series have Stephen Collins as the captain?
No. It's pre TOS. A more appropriate captain would be Jeffery Hunter or a Robert April character, but since this is pre UFP, none of that applies.

das
Old 06-21-01, 11:19 AM

Actually, it will be interesting to see how they address technology in the Star Trek universe. Since they can't advance the technologies from the previous series.

For instance, when were transporters invented? Will we see more episodes of screwed up transporters like TOS and NG since the technology would be in it's infancy?

Aliens wouldn't be as advanced either. At least the friendly ones who would more then likely share the technology. Cloaking devices were new when the Federation first saw them with the Klingons, correct?

This will definitely be an interesting series.

So, will goaties be even more popular later this year?
Old 06-21-01, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Rascal
Actually, it will be interesting to see how they address technology in the Star Trek universe. Since they can't advance the technologies from the previous series.

For instance, when were transporters invented? Will we see more episodes of screwed up transporters like TOS and NG since the technology would be in it's infancy?

Aliens wouldn't be as advanced either. At least the friendly ones who would more then likely share the technology. Cloaking devices were new when the Federation first saw them with the Klingons, correct?

This will definitely be an interesting series.

So, will goaties be even more popular later this year?

Yeah, I assume that phasers (and photon torpedos) are not yet available, so I wonder how space battles will take place.
Old 06-21-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Big-ass slingshots.
Old 06-21-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Going all primative will be nice, no technobabble ramblings to bail them out of every situation like on Voyager. One assumes transporters will be in thier infancy and probably not trusted. No tractor beams either I'd guess, maybe they'll have grappling hooks. Plus the aprehension of encountering aliens ('shock', 'horror') will be neat since all the recent shows have been pretty blase about running into different species.
Old 06-21-01, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The LCARS Computer Network caught up with John Eaves, Senior Illustrator for ENTERPRISE, this past weekend and got to ask him about ENTERPRISE and a few other things. Here is a snippet.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When asked about the design of the new Enterprise, John said it was smaller then Kirk's, but that they're still working on it, so the exact size hasn't been established. John went on to say that if you were a fan of the design of the Akira class, as seen in First Contact, you should like the design of the Enterprise. He also said he did pitch the idea of using the Enterprise as seen on the rec-dec scene in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but that it was turned down. John said the series takes place about 100 years after first contact with the Vulcans and 100 years before Kirk's first five-year mission. "From where I'm at work on the show, the story is brilliant. I think the series is going to be really good. The cast is great, they got Scott Bakula - they hired him on Friday and he started on Monday, so they suited him up on the weekend. But he seems to be really good.
"The look of the show is, I think, is Star Trek, but it's not. The stories I think are a lot more along the lines of what the old show and TNG used to be. More high adventure as opposed to, like a political theme that is turned into a sci-fi show, which a lot of the Deep Space (Nine) would be, kind of current events turned into a show for sake of vested interest. And this is more definitely a high adventure show, where it's going to go. It's going to be probably the introductory ground for what we know as Captain Kirk's Star Trek and I think everything from his time will be discovered or planned through out the length of the series. It seems that's what they want to do with it."

When asked about the retro-Kirk design of the show, John said "It was really hard because we had done that with (Zefram) Cochrane's ship, and we went kind of high style. You still had the buttons and the toggle switches but the gages and scanners were retro'ed up. And so, to go above that and yet not repeat the sixties look of the way things were. It was challenging in the fact that, we had an idea of where we wanted to go and Mr. Berman had an idea of where he wanted to go, and marrying the two wasn't that bad, set wise. Mike and Denise (Okuda) did a fabulous job with the graphics, Mr. Berman loved what they had done with that. You kind of get the sense they're not gages but they read as such, so he is brilliant, Mike is, at doing such work.

"It's mostly exteriors that we're having trouble with. Interiors went pretty well, the bridge through went quick, the corridors, all that look in turn all the look of the Enterprise is definitely retro before Kirk, but to today's standard of what good design would be." John went on to say once he was finished with the design of the Enterprise, it was turned over to Doug Drexler, Junior Illustrator for ENTERPRISE, where he could start the design of the interiors. John was then assigned to work on alien ships and uniform designs.

John went on to say the Klingons will have their cranial ridges and that the uniforms are not what we saw in Kirk's era, they will look more like the evolutional ancestor of what we are used to seeing, as on Deep Space Nine. He went on to say he was unsure about whether or not the Klingons will have there bat'leths. He continued "Bob Blackman is doing the uniforms, which he always has. Mike Westmore is doing the makeup. And both their magic is shining like it always does. They have no trouble coming up with what's going to be perfect for that time, yet pull to what Star Trek is supposed to be. So I was very conscience of what they're doing - extremely conscience of it. They wanted to put their best foot forward.
Old 06-21-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually they shouldn't even know the Klingons or Romulans and as Spock said in TOS they fought with nuclear warheads and talked with radio communication.
Old 06-25-01, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Are there any pictures or drawings from this show that have been released yet?
Old 06-25-01, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Alvis
Are there any pictures or drawings from this show that have been released yet?
None that I am aware of. I think the only "released" images are promo material like that ENTERPRISE logo we keep seeing everywhere. A few character and uniform sketches have surfaced, but I believe all of them have been hoaxes. There are a few detailed descriptions of what they're trying to do with the ships and uniforms, but I'm not aware of any images.

das
Old 06-25-01, 09:32 AM
Banned

I can't believe that someone came up with a logical 'in canon' explanation of why the Klingons look different in TOS. LOL

the new rigid head klingons suck. I like the old ones from episodes like Trouble with Tribbles, and the episode with the Organians. hehe they used to be Kling-gons with the g being hard instead of soft. THose guys ruled.
Old 06-25-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tyrion
I can't believe that someone came up with a logical 'in canon' explanation of why the Klingons look different in TOS. LOL

the new rigid head klingons suck. I like the old ones from episodes like Trouble with Tribbles, and the episode with the Organians. hehe they used to be Kling-gons with the g being hard instead of soft. THose guys ruled.
I liked some of the old Klingons too, but the make-up was really bad, especially in Day of the Dove. That one chick looks like she spent 36 hours in a tanning booth and then climbed up a chimney. Back in the day when they spoke "Klingonese." Personally, I like the ridges as there's so much more you can do with different ridges than simply giving them all a goatee and hoping they look menacing. Still, My Dear Captain Koloth is the best Klingon of them all.

das
Old 06-25-01, 10:55 AM
Mod Emeritus

<small>Originally posted by das Monkey The TOS years represent a specific time period in Klingon history when some Klingons didn't have the ridges. The common belief used to be that they were genetically altered to better interact with and infiltrate Humans in space. This belief was altered a bit when Worf noted "we don't like to talk about that" when asked about it in Trials and Tribbleations.</small>
That "genetically-engineered-to-infiltrate" reason is one that I subscribed to: indeed I made it up without reference to any Trekker reference material and/or discussions! (I'm not saying that I was original; merely that great minds sometimes think alike!)

But I don't see how Worf's comment alters or weakens the premise. After all, they might have done it.... but was it honourable?

I hope the scriptwriters don't mess up on this aspect!

As for the necesssary retro-fitting I think that is a great opportunity and again I hope that the art people make wise choices.
Old 06-25-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by benedict

But I don't see how Worf's comment alters or weakens the premise. After all, they might have done it.... but was it honourable?

I hope the scriptwriters don't mess up on this aspect!

As for the necesssary retro-fitting I think that is a great opportunity and again I hope that the art people make wise choices.
I said "altered a bit" It at least gives us a canon response which we had never had before and one that could be taken many different ways. I still subscribe to the infiltration idea and will until they explicitly state otherwise ... and if they do so in a stupid series, I still may not believe it

As for the scriptwriters, since many will be coming from Voyager, I'm sure they'll write an episode where Janeway goes back in time to give them ridges ... then she sits in the corner and cries a lot for the rest of the episode.

das
Old 06-25-01, 11:52 AM
Banned

My dear Captain Kirk....

The old Klingons were more rascally and more snively, kinda like wrestling bad guys. Some next gen writer introduced that whole honor code and all that stuff.

As for the look of the Klingons, check out some of the ones in The Motion Picture at the beginning, they have the ridges of the new klingons, but they have short hair and look more primitave and rough than the current ones. They are very cool looking I think.