Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Who wants to be a Millionaire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone still watch this. I watch it when I can't find anything else on.

Well did you see the people yesterday? They had insanely easy questions and they couldn't get it. Come on, who doesn't watch the Simpsons?
Old 06-20-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I still watch it occasionally if I'm in the mood and nothing else is on. Since my PC's in the living room, I watch it and play along in realtime.

I always do better than the TV contestant, of course, but I never seem to break into the top 4% of net players...
Old 06-20-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

never tried that, how does it work? is it done on timing? do you win anything?
Old 06-20-01, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched it once or twice when it first came on, but I haven't watched it since. There's nothing about it that interests me. If the questions were difficult, I could challenge myself. If there were strategy involved like Greed, I could enjoy that. But watching someone sit and think about 10 or so easy questions (multiple choice on top of that) is just insanely boring. I try not to be one of those people that always cries "This show sucks! Everyone who watches it is an idiot!!!" with anything I don't like, but I honestly don't see the appeal. I like Regis, I like trivia, but it just bored me to tears. I imagine a lot of people watch it because it's mindless entertainment, but if I want mindless entertainment, I'd rather find a show that's funny or has hot chicks.

das
Old 06-20-01, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The show is great to watch with ReplayTV/TIvo so you can easily forward through the commercials, contestant interviews, long answers, dumb questions, etc.

I usually record this when it's on (and not conflicting with more important shows) and I can watch it in about a half-hour or so.
Old 06-20-01, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Venusian
never tried that, how does it work? is it done on timing? do you win anything?
They have occasional minor prizes, but basically it's just for fun. I'm at work and can't give you the exact link, but go to http://www.abc.com and look for the "enhanced TV" logo shortly before the show starts...

It's done with shockwave/flash and needs minimal bandwidth--it times out perfectly even on a dial-up modem, and makes the show a lot more fun. Percentage-wise, you compete against the whole population, or--if you sign in and have a username--you can join or start mini-clubs to compete with...

Since You Don't Know Jack is going to be on the same network--and started out as a PC game anyway--I'll be surprised if it doesn't have a realtime play-along option like Millionaire...
Old 06-20-01, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hint for first-time net players: Pay attention to the contestants clothing, where they're from, etc... The trivia questions they pose during the commercials are usually about the game-in-progress.
Old 06-20-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'll watch it if I'm bored with nothing else to do.

I actually looked forward to it when it was an "event" and only broadcast for a week or two every couple of months. Now, it's just overkill.
Old 06-20-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I never go out of my way to watch it, but it's a GREAT watch when nothing else sparks my interest. I always enjoy it.
Old 06-21-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it was okay but they could have done better. where are the songs from the game that was one of the best parts of the game
Old 06-21-01, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Venusian
it was okay but they could have done better. where are the songs from the game that was one of the best parts of the game
If you're talking about the online game, you may have misunderstood me. Actually, there are two kinds of online play. I've never played the online "version" of the game. But if I watch the show, I often play along online with the TV show itself. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the music, since you're playing along live with the TV show: same questions at the same time, etc...
Old 06-21-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

oh sorry, i was talking about you dont know jack