Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Syndication question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard that generally a show has to have 100 episodes before it can get syndicated, is this true?

It seems a lot of the shows on USA don't have too many episodes like Working or the Naked Truth.
Old 06-19-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that 100 is ideal. I don't know if that's a cold hard rule.
Old 06-19-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I've noticed that, too. But if you think about it, the shows that are widely syndicated (i.e. on many different channels) had long, 100+ episode runs. At least all that I can think of.

Shows like "Working" and "Jesse" are shown only on USA, to my knowledge.

So maybe therein lies the difference. To be widely syndicated a show needs 100 episodes. Exclusive rights don't have an episode limit. To be honest, though, I don't know.
Old 06-19-01, 12:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though this will sound like a rather negative remark, USA more than likely gets those shows because they are cheaper to get. Aside from their made for television movies, let's face it, USA is fairly standard "B" market fair. They could be running these titles not only due to the fact that during their short runs, they did have fans, but because they fill up air time.
Old 06-19-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
that olson twin show (the newer one when they're teens) only has a few episodes and it's on fox family, there are many shows on usa in teh afternoon that I don't think ever came close to 100 eps
Old 06-19-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It used to be a lot truer than it is now. That's still the golden mark, after which the show producers can usually be assured of getting stinking rich off the syndication rights, but almost anything can be group-packaged and resold to some little channel these days...