Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Bugs Bunny marathon (June Bugs) starts tonight on Cartoon Network!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bugs Bunny marathon (June Bugs) starts tonight on Cartoon Network!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-01, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Bugs Bunny fans! Don't forget that Cartoon Network's annual "June Bugs" marathon begins tonight at 11pm EDT. They'll be airing over 50 shorts never before seen on Cartoon Network. Here's a link to the full schedule:

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv/jun...ule/index.html
Old 06-02-01, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's been on my TV since it started... man its going to be a good weekend for TV.. June Bugs on Cartoon Network and IC3 on Food Network.
Old 06-02-01, 02:24 AM

Note: I am not serious.

"What's cookin Doc?" just aired ten minutes ago. I was under the impression that it was one of the twelve banned because of the indian.

On another note, as a white person, I feel that Bugs kicking Elmer Fudd's ass is offensive to my race. I think they should all be banned to block out our minds of the past decade alltogether.
Old 06-02-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[b]Click pic for complete description & air-times

<small>1 Porky's Hare Hunt
2 Prest-O Change-O
3 Hare-um Scare-um
4 Elmer's Candid Camera
5 A Wild Hare
6 Patient Porky
7 Elmer's Pet Rabbit
8 Tortoise Beats Hare
9 The Heckling Hare
10 Wabbit Trouble
11 Crazy Cruise
12 The Wabbit Who Came To Supper
13 The Wacky Wabbit
14 Hold The Lion, Please
15 Bugs Bunny Gets The Boid
16 Fresh Hare
17 The Hare-Brained Hypnotist
18 Case of the Missing Hare
19 Tortoise Wins By A Hare
20 Super Rabbit
21 Jack-Wabbit and the Beanstalk
22 Wackiki Wabbit
23 Porky Pig's Feat
24 A Corny Concerto
25 Falling Hare
26 Little Red Riding Rabbit
27 What's Cookin' Doc?
28 Bugs Bunny and the Three Bears
29 Hare Ribbin'
30 Hare Force
31 Buckaroo Bugs
32 The Old Grey Hare
33 Stage Door Cartoon
34 The Unruly Hare
35 Hare Trigger
36 Hare Conditioned
37 Hare Tonic
38 Baseball Bugs
39 Hare Remover
40 Hair-Raising Hare
41 Acrobatty Bunny
42 Racketeer Rabbit
43 The Big Snooze
44 Rhapsody Rabbit
45 The Goofy Gophers
46 Rabbit Transit
47 A Hare Grows in Manhattan
48 Easter Yeggs
49 Slick Hare
50 Gorilla My Dreams
51 Rabbit Punch
52 Buccaneer Bunny
53 Bugs Bunny Rides Again
54 Haredevil Hare
55 Hot Cross Bunny
56 Hare Splitter
57 A-Lad-In His Lamp
58 My Bunny Lies Over the Sea
59 Hare Do
60 Rebel Rabbit
61 High Diving Hare
62 Bowery Bugs
63 Long-Haired Hare
64 Knights Must Fall
65 The Grey Hounded Hare
66 The Windblown Hare
67 Rabbit Hood
68 Hurdy Gurdy Hare
69 Mutiny on the Bunny
70 Homeless Hare
71 Big House Bunny
72 What's Up, Doc?
73 8 Ball Bunny
74 Hillbilly Hare
75 Bunker Hill Bunny
76 Rabbit of Seville
77 Hare We Go
78 Rabbit Every Monday
79 Bunny Hugged
80 The Fair Haired Hare
81 Rabbit Fire
82 French Rarebit
83 His Hare Raising Tale
84 Ballot Box Bunny
85 Big Top Bunny
86 Operation: Rabbit
87 14 Carrot Rabbit
88 Foxy By Proxy
89 Water, Water Every Hare
90 The Hasty Hare
91 Oily Hare
92 Rabbit Seasoning
93 Rabbit's Kin
94 Hare Lift
95 Forward March Hare
96 Duck Amuck
97 Upswept Hare
98 Southern Fried Rabbit
99 Hare Trimmed
100 Bully For Bugs
101 Duck! Rabbit! Duck!
102 Robot Rabbit
103 Captain Hareblower
104 Bugs and Thugs
105 No Parking Hare
106 Devil May Hare
107 Bewitched Bunny
108 Yankee Doodle Bugs
109 Lumberjack Rabbit
110 Baby Buggy Bunny
111 Beanstalk Bunny
112 Sahara Hare
113 Hare Brush
114 Rabbit Rampage
115 This Is A Life?
116 Hyde and Hare
117 Knight-Mare Hare
118 Roman Legion Hare
119 Bugs Bonnets
120 Broom-Stick Bunny
121 Rabbitson Crusoe
122 Napoleon Bunny-Part
123 Barbary Coast Bunny
124 Half Fare Hare
125 A Star Is Bored
126 Wideo Wabbit
127 To Hare Is Human
128 Ali Baba Bunny
129 Bedevilled Rabbit
130 Piker's Peak
131 What's Opera, Doc?
132 Bugsy and Mugsy
133 Show Biz Bugs
134 Rabbit Romeo
135 Hare-Less Wolf
136 Hare-Way to the Stars
137 Now Hare This
138 Knighty Knight Bugs
139 Pre-Hysterical Hare
140 Baton Bunny
141 Hare-Abian Nights
142 Apes of Wrath
143 Backwoods Bunny
144 Wild and Wooly Hare
145 Bonanza Bunny
146 A Witch's Tangled Hare
147 People Are Bunny
148 Person To Bunny
149 Rabbit's Feat
150 From Hare to Heir
151 Lighter Than Hare
152 The Abominable Snow Rabbit
153 Compressed Hare
154 Prince Violent
155 Wet Hare
156 Bill of Hare
157 Shishkabugs
158 Devil's Feud Cake
159 Sunda
160 The Million-Hare
161 Hare-Breadth Hurry
162 The Unmentionables
163 Mad As Mars Hare
164 Transylvania 6-5000
165 Dumb Patrol
166 Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare
167 The Iceman Ducketh
168 False Hare
169 Fright Before Christmas
170 Bugs Bunny's Christmas Carol
171 Portrait of the Artist as a Young Bunny
172 Spaced Out Bunny
173 Box Office Bunny
174 Blooper Bunny
175 Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers
176 Carrotblanca
177 From Hare to Eternity
178 Patient Porky (original Black-and-White version 1)
179 Porky's Hare Hunt (original Black-and-White version 6)
180 Porky Pig's Feat (original Black-and-White version 23) </small>
Afterwards, they start showing the best ones over.

<small> Originally posted by Triple S "What's cookin Doc?" just aired ten minutes ago. I was under the impression that it was one of the twelve banned because of the indian.</small>
That was the original plan. Maybe Cartoon Network wised up and decided it was stupid to ban a damn cartoon! Below is the ones they had originally said would not air.

Cartoon Network celebrates its ninth annual JUNE BUGS marathon with a 49-hour presentation of 165 Bugs Bunny cartoons from Friday, June 1, at 11 p.m. through Sunday, June 3, at 12 midnight (ET, PT). Chronicling the rambunctious rabbit's career from 1938's "Porky's Hare Hunt" through 1997's "From Hare to Eternity" Cartoon Network will air 177 Bugs Bunny cartoons. The 49-hour marathon will feature episodes produced over four decades by renowned directors including Friz Freleng, Chuck Jones, Bob Clampett and Tex Avery. This year, 55 Bugs Bunny cartoons make their Cartoon Network debut during JUNE BUGS including "Napoleon Bunny-Part", "Rabbitson Crusoe" and "Ali Baba Bunny."

Here's the 12 Bugs Bunny cartoons you won't be seeing during June Bugs this year:<small>
1- Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt (Friz Freleng; 1941): An Academy Award nominated cartoon in which Bugs is hunted by a dopey Indian named Hiawatha (who looks and acts a little bit like our old friend, Elmer J. Fudd). At one time this cartoon was a regular feature (and I do mean regular) on the Turner Network's cartoon programs.
2- All This and Rabbit Stew (Tex Avery; 1941): Tex Avery's final Bugs Bunny cartoon. It features a black stereotype hunter going after Bugs. It has been pulled from television distribution since the 1960's.
3- Any Bonds Today? (Bob Clampett; 1942): A special short wartime propaganda film (also known as "Leon Schlesinger Presents Bugs Bunny" or "The Bugs Bunny Bond Rally"). It basically features Bugs singing the title song. In the middle, Bugs appears briefly blackface and does an impersonation of Al Jolson.
4- What's Cookin' Doc? (Bob Clampett; 1944): One of Bob Clampett's most famous Bugs Bunny cartoons. A parody of the Academy Awards in which Bugs is convinced he's a shoo-in to get the award. The reason this is now banned? Bugs shows the audience a short clip from his Oscar nominated "Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt". Does anyone remember that waaaay back in 1998, Warner Bros. had this cartoon as part of their touring "Bugs Bunny Film Festival".
5- Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips (Friz Freleng; 1944): Another WWII era cartoon. Castaway Bugs washes ashore on and island where he soon encounters a bunch of stereotypical Japanese soldiers. In the end, Bugs defeats them all.
6- Herr Meets Hare (Friz Freleng; 1945): Bugs meets up with WWII enemies again. This time it is Hermann Goering and, in the end, Hitler himself. This short is still scheduled to be included in the upcoming Toonheads: The Wartime Cartoons special on Cartoon Network.
7- A Feather In His Hare (Chuck Jones; 1948): Another not-very-bright Indian hunts for Bugs. Bugs tricks him by, among other things, making snowballs in the middle of July. In the end, Bugs and "the last of the Mohicans" are shocked to realize they are now fathers ("Eh, what's up, pop?"). This Chuck Jones cartoon was also regularly seen on the Turner Networks up until 1998.
8- Which is Witch? (Friz Freleng; 1949): In Africa, Bugs finds himself hunted by the tiny witch doctor, I.C. Spots, who needs a rabbit to finish his latest potion.
9- Frigid Hare (Chuck Jones; 1949): On his way to a two week vacation in Miami, Bugs takes a wrong turn and ends up at the South Pole. There he rescues a cute little penguin from an Eskimo. This cartoon is a fan favorite which was also seen regularly on television until very recently.
10 - Mississippi Hare (Chuck Jones; 1949): Bugs, asleep in a cotton field, has his cotton tail mistaken for cotton. Bugs soon finds himself on a riverboat where he meets short-tempered gambler Colonel Shuffle. Gags include an exploding cigar causing the Colonel to appear in blackface and Bugs duping the Colonel into walking overboard when the Rabbit sells him a ticket to "Uncle Tom's Cabinet". While never shown on Cartoon Network, this cartoon aired as part of Kids' WB Bugs N Daffy Show (1995-8).
11- Bushy Hare (Robert McKimson; 1950): Many cartoon fans fondly remember this cartoon. A bunch of runaway balloons carry Bugs into the clouds where he bumps into a stork heading to Australia to deliver a baby kangaroo. Bugs is delivered to Mama Kangaroo and, to make her happy, Bugs pretends to be her "son". The Rabbit then encounters an aborigine, who he nicknames "Nature Boy". "Nature Boy" is basically a human version of a popular character who McKimson would introduce four years later: the Tasmanian Devil. This cartoon was seen regularly on Nickelodeon from 1988-99.
12- Horse Hare (Friz Freleng; 1960): A western parody set in 1885 at Fort Lariat. Bugs is left in charge of the Fort, when a tribe of Indians led by Yosemite Sam attacks. In the end, the day is saved when the Calvary shows up. Unfortunately for Sam, who gets caught in the middle of the oncoming Calvary and Indians ("Whoooooa, Calvary!!! Whoooooa, Indians!!! Whoooa!!!").

Since the announcement, there has come word that Cartoon Network might be broadcasting a special half-hour episode of Toonheads during the marathon titled "12 Missing Hares". The special, which Jerry Beck is involved in, will include clips from all 12 cartoons and narration explaining why CN won't be broadcasting them. The special will also include some other "offending" clips from Bugs' cartoons, such as the ending to "Fresh Hare". However, if Warner Bros. doesn't approve of it, it won't be shown. Again, for all the latest developments about this special (such as any possible airdate), it is a good idea to stay tuned to Jerry Beck's http://www.cartoonresearch.com/.<small>

[Edited by bigjim25 on 06-02-01 at 10:07 AM]
Old 06-03-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the extreme details! I have been on a 4 hour marathon and I must get up from this couch....remote in one hand, mouse in the other .

Old 06-03-01, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I wish they would release those episodes. I really want to see the WWII episodes.
Old 06-04-01, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Nature Boy and the Eskimo/Penguin episodes are 2 of my all-time favorite. Stupid PC crowd.
Old 06-04-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Nature Boy and the Eskimo/Penguin episodes are 2 of my all-time favorite. Stupid PC crowd.
Is the Nature Boy cartoon the one where Bugs says, "Unga bunga bunga, unga binga banga bunga", and Nature Boy gets all upset and Bugs looks at the audience at exclaims, "What I say? What I say?". That's a classic.
Old 06-04-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Zoomer
Originally posted by Red Dog
Is the Nature Boy cartoon the one where Bugs says, "Unga bunga bunga, unga binga banga bunga", and Nature Boy gets all upset and Bugs looks at the audience at exclaims, "What I say? What I say?". That's a classic.

It sure is!