Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

I can't believe Fox canceled The Lone Gunmen! (a short rant)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I can't believe Fox canceled The Lone Gunmen! (a short rant)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-01, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is very bad news. IMO TLG is (was) the best new show of the season. I can't believe the idiots at Fox canceled it--each week it got better and better, and was hilarious. With its X-Files tie-in, it seems unlikely to be picked up by another network (except maybe FX), but I am hopeful.

Oh well, I guess that frees up part of my Friday night. I tried Dark Angel for a short while after it premiered and got very bored very quickly (despite Jessica Alba's "talent"); I won't be tuning in.

By the way, does anyone know the targeted demographics for The Lone Gunmen / X-Files?

Old 05-17-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked the show and may have stuck with it, but here were my problems:

Why were these guys so smart on the X-Files and yet seemed to be dumbed down on their own show?

I didn't care for the "deadweight" characters yves and jimmy.

I liked the humor, I liked some of the stories, but something was missing for me.
Old 05-17-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved this show, too. I agree it got better and better.

I think I know what elektra means by the guys seeming dumb on the show but I think what I enjoyed about them, is that they are such smart guys when it comes to computers, technology, etc. But when it comes to social niceties or common sense they were very clueless. I really liked that aspect because I think that is true of "uber-nerds" like them.

On X-Files we only saw them brought in to help hack a computer or something which is really their milieu. When it comes to interviewing people, or just reading people they were really dumb which I was thought was priceless.

I liked how they developed Jimmy as a character. At first you think he's a complete idiot, but it was great how his talents really augment those of the 3 lone Gunmen. What he lacked in book smarts, he made up for in other ways.

Yves bugged me at first with that fake-sounding accent and even more outrageous hip-swinging walk, but I liked how they also showed a vulnerable side to her as well.

It was a great show because the characters were 3-dimensional. Just when you peg them as stereotypes they revealed they had a deeper identity.

I really wish someone like Sci-Fi would pick up this series. I don't see why Fox doesn't bring it back as like a mid-season replacement.
Old 05-17-01, 02:57 PM

I watched the Lone Gunmen weekly and feel like they should conclude the season finale at a minimum. I hate when shows just end with no real closure. It's cheating to say "To be continued" and then never follow up.

The think the problem with the Lone Gunmen was that their target audience was too small. I think most X-Files fans tune in for the sci-fi element, which is pretty minimal in the Lone Gunmen. So when you take a sci-fi show and create a spin-off from it that is a comedy of sorts, you are going to lose a lot of that audience. And people who are into lighter comedy are not going to normally tune into a show that they associate with science fiction.

It did work for me, however, and I am sad to see it go.
Guess I'll be watching DVDs on Friday nights again...
Old 05-17-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
It does really suck that The Lone Gunmen ended on a cliffhanger. Maybe Chris Carter will use an episode of The X-Files to clear it up next season.
Old 05-18-01, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm stunned!!! And I came home tonight hoping to catch part 2 of the season finale. What jerks at FOX. They could have at least aired the last show. What do they do instead? Show Something About Mary, a movie that most people have probably already seen. Shheeeesssh.
Old 05-19-01, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yrth: I don't think Part 2 was EVER even filmed. They'll probably cap the storyline on the X-Files, as they did with Millennium.. of course, Chris Carter not only killed that great show, but he crapped on the carcass with that awful, awful, awful Frank Black XF episode.
Old 05-19-01, 10:48 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Very disappointed myself. The show was betrayed by it's pitiful pilot/premiere. The successive episodes were MUCH better and MUCH different. Thankfully, my favorite episode of the painfully short-lived series is on tape around here someplace ... the one about the Edward Woodward research chimp. Genius. Now if I only had the episode where they have to proove this old gal is a Nazi war criminal by photographing her butt. That was a classic.

I agree Eve was dead weight, but I actually liked Jimmy. He gave the show a lot of heart, and humor. Eve was nice to look at, but was only there to lead them to actual plot lines.

I'll have to tape them once they make their final run on FX. At least I hope they get at least that.

Any network that keeps Titus on the air, but ditches this show is in serious trouble.

Old 05-19-01, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm bummed about TLG being canned.