Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody getting tired of NBC's ultra-dramatic tone?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anybody getting tired of NBC's ultra-dramatic tone?

Old 05-10-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to laugh every time they run an ER commercial. That low, ultra serious voice: "An ER to cherish"..."An ER you will never forget."

Tone down the drama folks, it's just a damn TV show.
Old 05-10-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a very special episode of "Blossom" the whole family should watch together...
Old 05-10-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes they are certainly losing touch with mother Earth with these TV spots. It almost sounds like there won't be another season. It sound absurd but that's what it sounds like to me.

Old 05-10-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That voice-over guy is getting annoying, especially the one on last nights West Wing
Old 05-10-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"You are obligated, nay, destined to watch our shows! If you do not watch, you are nothing but a cold-hearted emotionless non-human! By not watching you are placing the very existance of the planet in jeopardy! You don't want to doom the human race to extinction now, do you? You're just as bad as Hitler if you don't see this week's heart-wrenching, gut-churning, mind-blowing, life-changing, bowel-shaking, knuckle-cracking, tear-flowing episode! Did we mention Sally Field?"

yes, 'Must See TV' indeed

ugh
Old 05-10-01, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I think the announcer for the WB is the worst. Every beginning to a show has him say "Welcome to the all new WB ______Night. Here is an all new episode of _____ to cherish." Gimme a break...
Old 05-10-01, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The announcements are pretty annoying, but being from the generation that grew up with the weekly ABC Afterschool Special, I'd have to say they're pretty small potatoes.

Talk about annoying melodramatic 'very special episode' type voice overs... the ABC Afterschool Special was the worse. Every week there'd be a new show about alcoholism, eating disorders, peer pressure, drugs, runaways, etc.. that were so formulaic it was almost funny. All with great cheese 70's acting.
Old 05-10-01, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one getting peeved at NBC's "and a brand new ER you MUST NOT MISS." They haven't had a real cliff-hanger doozy in a few seasons now. Uggg, must see TV, yeah right. I'm a loyal ER fan, but give me a break here. Can't they find another way to advertise (and it's it obvious from the ratings that it's not working quite as well as planned).

Also, what's up with the NBC spotlight show of the week? How are there like 5 every week? (Or does it just seem that way to me). Isn't that like saying "here's a show that people have stopped watching, come check it out again, we insist!"

Thank god for my ReplayTV, no more advertisements to watch (gotta love that 30 second jump button).
Old 05-10-01, 04:45 PM

yeah, I know what you mean. I can't stand the entire "torn from the headlines" thing they now have to say with every commercial for Law and Order.
Old 05-10-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by fourwalker
yeah, I know what you mean. I can't stand the entire "torn from the headlines" thing they now have to say with every commercial for Law and Order.
Personally I can't see the connection between the show and the headlines.... it makes no sense, since the headlines happened like weeks and months before the show was shot and aired.
Old 05-11-01, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
especially how they hype the Sally Field eps of ER. I'm glad this was her last one. her chcaracter isn't very great
Old 05-11-01, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey, but guys...this will be "ER's finest hour."

You WON'T want to miss that....

(dripping with sarcasm, here).
Old 05-11-01, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I fell asleep. Guess I won't get to cherish this episode forever, after all...