DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Anybody getting tired of NBC's ultra-dramatic tone? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/107475-anybody-getting-tired-nbcs-ultra-dramatic-tone.html)

Boot 05-10-01 09:18 AM

I have to laugh every time they run an ER commercial. That low, ultra serious voice: "An ER to cherish"..."An ER you will never forget."

:rolleyes:

Tone down the drama folks, it's just a damn TV show.

GuessWho 05-10-01 09:19 AM

On a very special episode of "Blossom" the whole family should watch together...

JCJF10 05-10-01 10:17 AM

Yes they are certainly losing touch with mother Earth with these TV spots. It almost sounds like there won't be another season. It sound absurd but that's what it sounds like to me. :confused:

Robert 05-10-01 11:27 AM

That voice-over guy is getting annoying, especially the one on last nights West Wing

sundog 05-10-01 11:59 AM

"You are obligated, nay, destined to watch our shows! If you do not watch, you are nothing but a cold-hearted emotionless non-human! By not watching you are placing the very existance of the planet in jeopardy! You don't want to doom the human race to extinction now, do you? You're just as bad as Hitler if you don't see this week's heart-wrenching, gut-churning, mind-blowing, life-changing, bowel-shaking, knuckle-cracking, tear-flowing episode! Did we mention Sally Field?"

yes, 'Must See TV' indeed

ugh

Geofferson 05-10-01 01:13 PM

Personally, I think the announcer for the WB is the worst. Every beginning to a show has him say "Welcome to the all new WB ______Night. Here is an all new episode of _____ to cherish." Gimme a break...

renaldow 05-10-01 01:47 PM

The announcements are pretty annoying, but being from the generation that grew up with the weekly ABC Afterschool Special, I'd have to say they're pretty small potatoes.

Talk about annoying melodramatic 'very special episode' type voice overs... the ABC Afterschool Special was the worse. Every week there'd be a new show about alcoholism, eating disorders, peer pressure, drugs, runaways, etc.. that were so formulaic it was almost funny. All with great cheese 70's acting.

valkyrie 05-10-01 02:28 PM

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one getting peeved at NBC's "and a brand new ER you MUST NOT MISS." They haven't had a real cliff-hanger doozy in a few seasons now. Uggg, must see TV, yeah right. I'm a loyal ER fan, but give me a break here. Can't they find another way to advertise (and it's it obvious from the ratings that it's not working quite as well as planned).

Also, what's up with the NBC spotlight show of the week? How are there like 5 every week? (Or does it just seem that way to me). Isn't that like saying "here's a show that people have stopped watching, come check it out again, we insist!"

Thank god for my ReplayTV, no more advertisements to watch (gotta love that 30 second jump button). :)

fourwalker 05-10-01 03:45 PM

yeah, I know what you mean. I can't stand the entire "torn from the headlines" thing they now have to say with every commercial for Law and Order.

huzefa 05-10-01 07:55 PM

Originally posted by fourwalker
yeah, I know what you mean. I can't stand the entire "torn from the headlines" thing they now have to say with every commercial for Law and Order.
Personally I can't see the connection between the show and the headlines.... it makes no sense, since the headlines happened like weeks and months before the show was shot and aired.

mikehunt 05-10-01 11:20 PM

especially how they hype the Sally Field eps of ER. I'm glad this was her last one. her chcaracter isn't very great

valkyrie 05-10-01 11:45 PM

Hey, but guys...this will be "ER's finest hour."

You WON'T want to miss that....

(dripping with sarcasm, here).

adamblast 05-11-01 01:21 AM

Damn, I fell asleep. Guess I won't get to cherish this episode forever, after all...