Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The "Thank GOD Survivor is Over" Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The "Thank GOD Survivor is Over" Thread

Old 05-04-01, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you who could care less about this "cultural phenomenon", vent here.

If you are a fan of the show, please don't use this thread to "defend" it. I don't go to the pro-Survivor threads bashing it. I appreciate it.

I am so sick of hearing about it, here's to months of "Survivor silence" (until the next one, dammit).
Old 05-04-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope you don't mind if I post here, since I watch and enjoy the show. Just want to join you in voicing "thank God it's over." I hate how I can't enjoy a good television program without every "news" group rambling about it until it makes me sick of a show that I would otherwise enjoy. I am glad I watched the show and will look back on it fondly, but I am happy beyond belief that in a few days/weeks, the press will latch on to something else, and I won't have to hear anything else about it.

das
Old 05-04-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, IMHO, Survivor would continue to drop in ratings if every other quit making references to it! How do they expect the thing to get out of the public's mind when every show (including the TNT NBA report!!!) on the air is making some reference to it!

Not a fan of watching other people go through drama that is billed as "real" but is so obviously created and manipulated by the producers.

If I want to watch a "real" show about "real people" going through extraordinary situations, I'll watch the Eco-challenge.
Old 05-04-01, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am proud to say that I have NEVER watched an episode of Survivor (1 or 2) and have no plans to watch any future versions, either!

And, yes, I am VERY glad it's over - until November, probably, when Insipid Sweeps Event ... er, I mean Survivor 3 will most likely start.
Old 05-04-01, 11:36 AM

I've never sat through an episode either. It just isn't my type of thing, I suppose. So, I am happy it is over, that way I don't have to hear about it on the news (I still don't understand why it is so 'news-worthy') or everywhere else for that matter!
Old 05-04-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched the last half-hour with an interest similar to watching a building burn itself out. When that doofus host came flying over the studio in the helicopter onto the 'Survivor(tm) Helipad' I thought to myself, "it's over."

And it's not the show that's over, I mean the world. It's done, this is the bottom. We can't go any deeper into the putrid waste than this. That moment pushed the envelope of absurd amusement and exploded all over my carpet.

And I thought that would be the worst. That somehow, it couldn't get any more ridiculous, manipulative, and predictable. I can imagine the last 5 minutes as a ride into the center of a black hole, just waiting for the moment that you're crushed and free of the pain. Some relief from the nightmare. But all that's waiting for you at the end is Bryant Gumbel's uneasy, insincere smile.

<small>Well, I'm glad that's out of my system.</small>
Old 05-04-01, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank god we only have to wait until Fall for it to begin again. Yeehaw!

~Scheherazade
Old 05-04-01, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ON SURVIVOR
I do like the group that sings those great ROCKY songs!
Old 05-04-01, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My name is Huzefa, and I am a Survivor-hater. I can't believe the studios won't settle with the writers that bring us great shows like law&order and nypd blue but would rather churn out this reality crap. I know it's all about the money, but I though TV execs were human beings too.
Old 05-04-01, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
but I thought TV execs were human beings too.
There's your mistake!
Old 05-04-01, 10:52 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I watched one episode of the first show. I find it both morbid and pathetic that such a program could be so popular.
Old 05-11-01, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^
Old 05-11-01, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too am sick of all the talk. I watched one episode and couldn't stand it. Now that Mark Burnett admits that it wasn't entirely "real" makes me even more happy that I didn't dwindle my free time away watching this crap.
Old 05-11-01, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few filler shots with stand-ins doesn't make it not real. I'm really getting a bit tired of people saying it's fake now just because they went out of their way to make a better presentation for audiences to enjoy. I really would rather they do this than for me to see cameras in the shots which would totally ruin the atmosphere.

And it's really hard to form an opinion on a show of this type by just watching one, especially the very first or the very last one. You have to get to know the people to enjoy it... you really haven't given it a chance until you've watched at least four shows straight.

Yeah, I'm a bit sick of all the talk and all the off-shoots and all the jokes and all the everything else. Turning around and seeing survivor everywhere or someone doing another lame spoof. But it doesn't make the show any less entertaining. If you let it, then that's really not their fault... you're letting the perceptions and actions of others tell you what to think. And yes, you do do this whether you agree or disagree with them... if your biggest reason to hate the show is that it's overdone by other networks (which is the argument I see most) then that's not really fair to the show.

The same thing happened with The Blair Witch, which I enjoyed immensely. Then people just ran it into the ground and I ALMOST fell into the same trap. But then I learned what I know now. Just because it's popular and all over the TV doesn't make it bad. So I just enjoy it for what it is... not what others make it to be.

~Scheherazade