Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Colby is an Idiot

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-01, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with the other posts that there was a lot more to it than money. 1) I'm sure he and Tina had planned to be the final 2 long ago to increase their odds of getting to the finals. 2) Like was said before, Colby didn't want Keith to get the money over someone who should have been there. Look at last year, Richard Hatch weaseled his way into the finals just like Keith was trying to do and then he ended up winning it. It likely wouldn't have happened but Colby would have kicked himself to lose to Keith. 3) He and Tina just got along very well. I'm sure he was happy that if he couldn't win it then he wanted her to win. (I do think his reaction at the end was a little too much though).

And yeah, Colby is going to do alright in his money situation after all is said and done.

Old 05-04-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Colby was good at winning challenges, but Tina was smart enough not to piss anybody off. Even Jerri, who I thought would forgive Colby for backstabbing her, managed to vote for Tina. I don't think Colby needed the million, and decided he was happy enough being 2nd, and I think it's against the law to own two ugly cars.
Old 05-04-01, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well... I don't know how soon Colby will recoup the extra $900,000. People don't really realize how much a million dollars really is. Take a yearly income of $100,000 and there you have 9 years of paid holiday. Not to mention that you could quite easily live off the interest of such money if you are careful enough.

So... I guess I would've picked the money instead of Tina... :-) BUT, if I would be afraid that Keith has the smallest chance to win, then I would've done exactly what Colby did.

Anyway, both Colby and Tina played a very good game, and although I didn't like Tina I have to admit she actually played the better game...
Old 05-05-01, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget that about 40% of the $1 M winnings are going to be sent to the tax men...
Old 05-05-01, 12:06 PM

Although I agree it was definitely an unexpected move on Colby's part, but if you think about it, Colby's received much more media attention for what he did than Tina has for winning the million dollars.
Old 05-05-01, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You know, after 2 days, I'm okay with Colby's decision. I also slept pretty good ever since he made his decision. You know why?

It's because 7 people on the jury found Tina more deserving of the money, regardless of their reasons, they all knew what it'd take to win, but none of them were able to succeed at the level Tina and Colby did. It doesn't matter what road you take to get to a destination, as long as you get there in the allotted amount of time.

The next incarnation of Survivor will feature more people like Richard and Tina who use their brains, charm, ingenuity to skate on in to the final two, while not pissing off anyone of consequence.

Plus, let's face it, winning the final immunity and having to boot someone off automatically creates a vote for the person you elected to send to the final two with you (since the booted person will invariably vote against you). That's basically the swing vote right then and there. The game basically comes down to being able to persuade the final immunity winner to bring you with them.

We've had 1 instance where the right person (Richard) was selected by the final immunity winner. and Kelly still lost. Now we have an instance where the wrong person was selected, (Colby bringing the toughest competitor Tina), and he also lost.

It's a crapshoot, and these juries are finicky and unpredictable. You can bust your butt for 42 days, and not get the respect of the jury (perhaps winning too much builds more resentment than respect in this game).

Old 05-06-01, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Venetian
Colby is smarter than all of 'em. He realized that a $1000000 isn't all that much compared to how the American public perceives you and your 'Q' rating.

I agree with this statement. He gained quite a few points with the American public, thus I believe this will be more lucrative for him in terms of endorsements.

I believe his actions were based on the above...but of course this is only my rationale for his actions.

Old 05-06-01, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On the CBS morning show Colby and Tina said they had formed a pact to take the other into the finals if either one won the last immunity. Of course that is just what Colby did. Tina said she would have done the same. We'll never know for sure if she would have but they had bonded a long time ago and had wanted to be the last two. You can be cynical and think Tina would have seen the sure $$$ and stabbed him in the back but I think she would have kept her word. Colby will easily make up the $900,000 (minus taxes) and more because of his integrity. She would have too if she had won immunity and kept Colby in and lost (although I'm pretty sure she would have won anyway).

[Edited by movielib on 05-06-01 at 06:08 PM]
Old 05-06-01, 08:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

They should have agreed to split the money, now that would have been a sacrifice for Tina. Otherwise, her guessing Colby was going to be the one to win the last challenge, heh, she benefitted much more than Colby on that one.

The only challenge she got was one where her family (her large family) won it for her.
Old 05-07-01, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Collusion is not allowed in sharing the prize money between the contestants.
Old 05-07-01, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hated Tina's phony speech about how she was going to give her money to the needy. Right after she won she said in an interview that she was buying her husband a plane, because "he has been taking lessons, and doesn't have his own plane yet". She really needed the money.
Old 05-07-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I assumed there was probably colusion. How could the show prove it, and once the show was over, what could they do about it?

It seems much more in character than what we saw happen.

We had two people who planned and strategized from the very beginning. Everything was deliberate. Colby looked at all the angles. Tina seemed to also. Behind the smiles was some shrewd calculating. Everything went according to plan once Michael was hurt. It all made perfect sense.

And then at the last second, Colby votes off Keith?? WTF? And then we learn that Colby and Tina are a lot tighter than we ever knew...from the beginning.

In all those free hours of conniving and strategerizing... how could the subject of possibly making a deal not come up? Getting to the final two towards the end was looking to not be too hard for Colby who was winning all the challenges. He could also play a huge role in Tina's fate and Tina knew it. He also needed Tina...and to some extent Keith. But what to do about the Jury vote? A much bigger unknown??? How to predict or calculate that without someone like Jeri around to make it easy?

Simple...decide to make a deal. You don't have to share it with anyone else. If it's not public and nobody knows, then nobody can say you violated anything. The only risk is you are relying on someone's word....but I am thinking they moved past that and developed a bond on this show.

Between them, they win 1.1 million. There should be a way to share that.

Anyway...just a theory...but it would have made it a lot easier for Colby to celebrate Tina winning, and would have explained his voting off Keith. And explained why they did not seem too concerned about the final vote, IMO.
Old 05-08-01, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good point Randy.

Colby was on Howard Stern yesterday and was saying the only reason they kept Keith instead of Mitchell was because he was stronger and they needed him for the physical challenges against Kutcha.

He also said that if they prize was $10 million he would have kept Keith and got rid of Tina.

WTF? $1 million isn't a lot of money ?