Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Downey arrested again

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-01, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001...owney_jr_.html

hmmm, how can the producers of ally want him to stay??
Old 04-24-01, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really don't get it, I mean the guy looks so normal otherwise, but why the hell does he keep getting into this sh*t? I mean, he is a great actor but he keeps bringing himself down with this crap.

[Edited by huzefa on 04-24-01 at 08:13 PM]
Old 04-24-01, 08:20 PM

and if that was you or I who got arrested we would still be sitting in jail. Why should they get special treatment.
Old 04-24-01, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by matchpenalty
Pretty simple, Ally's ratings are back up after a bad year last year.

And if he were anyone else, he'd be serving at least 5 years in Chino, what's this, his 3 or 4th arrest?
Old 04-24-01, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by clemente
Pretty simple, Ally's ratings are back up after a bad year last year.

And if he were anyone else, he'd be serving at least 5 years in Chino, what's this, his 3 or 4th arrest?
Yeah, well, this theory is shot to hell now. David e. Kelley just fired his ass. He's not going to be on Ally any longer.

"After learning of the arrest, the producers of Ally McBeal fired Downey from his Golden Globe-winning role as Ally's love interest, Larry.

"We are wrapping up the stories on the final few episodes of Ally McBeal for the season without him," show mastermind David E. Kelley said in a statement."
Old 04-24-01, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kelley didn't want to enable his behavior anymore? Good.

I hope Downey gets help and finds the strength to recover from his drug addiction.
Old 04-24-01, 11:37 PM

I hope he has an overdose, then I won't have to hear anymore about him
Old 04-25-01, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by junkie
But then we would have to suffer those damn tributes, Dateline, blah, blah, blah.

Hate to sound crass, but I didn't give a rats ass when Princess Diana died or JFK, but the media made it out to be this whole huge thing, couldn't turn on the tube/radio/internet without running into it.

So hopefully, he just fades away and when I'm very old, E! will do a story on him and that's all we'll have to suffer.
Old 04-25-01, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
A lot of people sympathize with the guy. He has that kind of quality...Our poor Robbie...in trouble again. When will he learn, that kid of mine.
Personally, I think he needs help. Imprisoning him doesn't seem like a great idea. I wonder if people follow him around just to catch him using so they can call the cops. I mean many people are successful using harder drugs and not getting caught every month, nowhadaImean?

BothanSpy
Old 04-25-01, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Downey was fired from the Ally McBeal show yesterday.
Old 04-25-01, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by clemente

Hate to sound crass, but I didn't give a rats ass when Princess Diana died or JFK...
I hope you were referring to JFK Jr. and not JFK -- dying in a car or plane crash is A LOT different than someone assasinating the President of the United States --

It's too bad about Robert Downey Jr., but he should not get special treatment for being a good actor -- he needs to stay in jail because the detox places obviously aren't working -- and innocent people are at risk whenever he is behind the wheel.
Old 04-25-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Film_Lover
Hate to sound crass, but I didn't give a rats ass when Princess Diana died or JFK...
I hope you were referring to JFK Jr. and not JFK [/B][/QUOTE]

M'bad! I wasn't even alive for the JFK assassination, so yes JFK Jr. I agree he'a great actor, but he has a problem. Is it a medical issue, yes it is, but any other person with the sae problem wouldn't be sent to detox, they'd be sent to jail.

He's on probabtion, seriously, no judge is that bad at law to let him off with a slap on the wrist.
Old 04-25-01, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The only good thing about this news is that Kelly fired him. Its fine that the guy got a second (and third and fourth) chance to gain his footing, but its pretty clear he needs some very, very thourough help that he has not gotten. Hollywood may be all Downey knows, but he needs to take a break from it, find himself, leave the scene and deal with reality before he's running around the streets of Los Angeles naked with a lit Roman candle in his butt, or worse, dead.
Old 04-26-01, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ET was reporting that he wasn't fired by Kelley, but his absence - due to being in rehab - was being written around. That's the spin Kelley himself is apparently putting on it now. While I doubt Downey will be back on the show next year, Kelley loses points with me for not saying "I fired him because I do not want to enable his behavior. If you want to work, Robert, clean up and come talk to me. Until then, best of luck." That may very well be what he did behind closed doors - but it would be more effective to have the balls to say it to the world. Instead ET gave some story about Kelley being sorry Robert wouldn't be available for the shoot, and wishing him the best in rehab. The implication was that Kelley would have used him if he were available...

[Edited by dave955 on 04-25-01 at 10:29 PM]
Old 04-27-01, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Excuse me, but that is pretty cruel. I would never wish anything like that on ANYONE. I may not like the guy; I definitely think he is scum; but, I would never wish harm come to someone.
Old 04-29-01, 10:19 AM

Excuse me, but that is pretty cruel. I would never wish anything like that on ANYONE. I may not like the guy; I definitely think he is scum; but, I would never wish harm come to someone.
So, I do. Usually on hippies though.
Old 04-30-01, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C'mon, let's give RD Jr. one more chance! Remember, eleven strikes and you're out!
Old 04-30-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, that would be better than him getting coked up and plowing into a family of four in his car wouldn't it? Because it's going to come to that eventually if his behavior and drug problems continue.
Old 04-30-01, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE]Originally posted by badger1997
Well, that would be better than him getting coked up and plowing into a family of four in his car wouldn't it? Because it's going to come to that eventually if his behavior and drug problems continue.
I don't believe that, you're talking about preventive incarceration. Let him get whatever the judge gives him, but don't think that just cause he's in jail, it's going to help us. Some other dude who's been drinking or just some other dude on a cellphone could plow into that same family of four. It'd be so much better if he just figured out how wrong he is, and if it takes a couple of months of jailtime, then so be it. But I would never want him to die because of it.