Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sundance Channel: "---- You!"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sundance Channel: "---- You!"

Old 04-19-01, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wanna give the finger here to Mr Robert Redford's pretentious little Independent Film Channel wannabe. I got a letter from them today explaining that they are moving off my cable dial to the "Digital" (ha!) band. They gave a bunch of B.S. excuses like: "we show un-family friendly films and Dig. cable will allow parental locks!" and "Digital cable's picure and sound are so much better!" (and I suppose they're not in bed with my cable co. and get a kickback from anyone suckered into paying more for that sham). Well, I think this is a crap move by them, and even though I mainly watch their superior rival IFC, I am posting their toll-free # if you choose to complain: (866) 837-9111. Me, I'll stop bitching here and bid them adieu.
Old 04-20-01, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Makes sense, Sundance shows some pretty risque material. Happened to be flipping through the other night and saw not only full female frontal, but also male frontal nudity. And since I'm not sure its a subscription channel, you;re outta luck.
Old 04-20-01, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by clemente
Makes sense, Sundance shows some pretty risque material. Happened to be flipping through the other night and saw not only full female frontal, but also male frontal nudity. And since I'm not sure its a subscription channel, you;re outta luck.
Actually, it IS part of the 'above basic' plan that I pay for. It's really a stupid move on their part.
Old 04-20-01, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I understand the frustration, but overall I'm jealous -- neither channel has ever been available here except by satellite dish. Same with Bravo. They've not on analog cable, and they're not on the newly announced digital lineup, either.
Old 04-21-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only reason I have the digital package is for IFC and Sundance. And I agree that IFC offers a superior product.
Old 04-25-01, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
All they show on SUNDANCE are films about how it sucks(no pun) to be "young and gay"....

Most of the films are garbage.

Here's a tip Robert:

Just because it's "independent" it doesn't have to suck.
Old 04-25-01, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aw, man, that's exactly what I was looking for. The Young and Gay Sundance channel. Now I'm REALLY jealous...
Old 04-26-01, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But digital cable's sound and picture are better than regular cable, and it does allow for parental locks. Sundance is basically a premium channel that most people wouldn't pay for, so you get it 'free' with the digital package.

Ironically, the digital cable parental lock is part of the cable box and allows you to lock any of the channels, even the analog ones. Don't most modern TVs have parental locks on them too?

I agree that IFC is better, even if half their programming is just "Clerks" over and over again.