Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I should have 196 MB of RAM, but my comp says I have 127??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I should have 196 MB of RAM, but my comp says I have 127??

Old 03-21-01, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My computer originally came with 64 MB of RAM pre-installed in the form of a single chip. Yesterday, I took it to the computer store and the tech put in a 128 MB chip in the second slot (leaving the first 64 MB in, explaining that I would now have 196).

Now, when I go to system properties/performance, it reads;

Memory: 127.0 MB of RAM

what gives? any ideas?
Old 03-21-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's only seeing the 128 or its reading the 128 as 64. the missing one might be because your board alocates one mmeg for onboard video or something like that. It was explained a few weeks ago, but I forgot exactly why. Take the old 64 out, and put the new one in to see what it boots as. Then repost.
Old 03-21-01, 08:03 PM

what the computer display right when you turn it on? (Power on self test,POST)
Old 03-21-01, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Billman
Yesterday, I took it to the computer store and the tech put in a 128 MB chip in the second slot (leaving the first 64 MB in, explaining that I would now have 196).
There's your problem right there. "Computer Tech"

Try popping the 128 in the first slot and the 64 in the second slot. Then fire it up and see what happens.

Are both PC 100 or PC133, or a mix? .... need more details.
Old 03-21-01, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's an old motherboard, esp. if it's a Compaq, it might only support chips up to 64meg. My friend had the exact same problem. Check your MB manual.
Old 03-23-01, 02:33 PM
Banned

I'm going to try and switch them out myself this afternoon and see what that does. I've never even tried to open my computer before, but I watched the guy do it so I think I'll give it a shot...

Wish me luck!
Old 03-23-01, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to try and switch them out myself this afternoon and see what that does. I've never even tried to open my computer before, but I watched the guy do it so I think I'll give it a shot...

Wish me luck!
For the love of God, get an anti-static wrist strap before you go tinkering with your memory! RAM is the single most static suscpetible component in your machine, touch it when you're not earthed and bye-bye memory... And leave your computer plugged in, but switched off at the mains socket, that way the power won't be on, but the case will still be earthed. Static f*cks computer components up big time.
Old 03-23-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had almost exactly the same problem (still do) with my RAM. I have a 128 chip that was working fine at the start as a 128MB, but like 3 months later, it posted at only 64 megs, and sometimes at 32. After extensive research and testing (mainly involving sending it back and whatnot), it was found to be defective. My advice, just return it and get another stick.
Old 03-24-01, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim

Wish me luck!
For the love of God, get an anti-static wrist strap before you go tinkering with your memory! RAM is the single most static suscpetible component in your machine, touch it when you're not earthed and bye-bye memory... And leave your computer plugged in, but switched off at the mains socket, that way the power won't be on, but the case will still be earthed. Static f*cks computer components up big time.
I think it may be even people specific. I knew people who could short out a part from a few feet it seemed . I never have used a static band and always unplug my system from the wall. I do try to be careful and touch some metal to get rid of any charge, but i have never harmed a component or ram at all. I will knock on some wood to make sure i am not jinxing myself however . i do think it is a good idea if you have never done this before to take precautions.

I bet either the ram is not good or the ram does not meet the specs required by the motherboard. to many chips or exceeds the max ram capacity of the MB or...