Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Any Precautions with Installing RAM?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Any Precautions with Installing RAM?

Old 02-28-01, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to try to install my new RAM for the very first time. I have read my computer's manual but would like to know from you experts on what precautions I should take (I'm kinda scared.) I will be installing this 256 MB of RAM on my DEll 933 mHz, pentium 3 computer. Please help!!!

Thanks
Old 02-28-01, 10:32 PM

Watch out for static - it will kill RAM. If you don't have an anti-static wristband, you can simply touch a metal connector on the back of your computer right before you install the RAM.

It's actually very easy to install. They even have the sticks "notched" so you can't put them in the wrong way.
Old 02-28-01, 10:39 PM

Static....hum. And all I've been having today is STATIC. Everything I touched gave me a shock. I will try your suggestion BartleyR7. Thanks!
Old 03-01-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

one tip- if the computer does not boot right after you do it. do not panic. turn everything off reopen the case and make sure the ram is all the way in. with dimms the locks on each side will go into the notches. also recheck to make sure the other parts are in all the way. it is easy as long as you are careful not to move things around
Old 03-01-01, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Make sure you put it in the right way! I spent 10 minutes trying to jam my ram the wrong way, but it still works. I do have to agree with static though, one of my dimms is fried, more than likely it was esd since I work on the floor with no protection against static at all
Old 03-01-01, 11:55 AM

Thanks everyone!!! I haven't put in it yet, I'm waiting for my brother-in-law to come and help me because I'm still too scared. I need to see it done first before I could do myself. I know it's probably simple, but I think I'll still need help.
Old 03-01-01, 01:25 PM

This has never happened to me when I've added RAM, but a friend told me some computers need the faster RAM first, so if you have any problems after installing, put your old RAM in the extra slots, and the new RAM in the origial slots. Don't know if this is true or not, but there it is.
Old 03-01-01, 02:26 PM

Well, I did it and was a piece of cake. I didn't even need a screwdriver to get the case open. I really don't notice that much of a difference, but I wanted to upgrade anyways. I now have 384 MB with room for another 128MB. Thanks for all the precautions and suggestions everyone offered!
Old 03-01-01, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Venus
I now have 384 MB

I feel so ... inadequate.
Old 03-01-01, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RandyM that is why i put 512 MB in mine with room for more .

I may not need it but i want more than most people

The best cure for RAM envy is to get more for yourself
Old 03-02-01, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by RandyM
Originally posted by Venus
I now have 384 MB

I feel so ... inadequate.
I have only 640KB.
Old 03-02-01, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ninelives
I have only 640KB.
Wow! I bet DOS really flies!
Old 03-02-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't even have enough RAM to finish this p
Old 03-02-01, 02:28 PM

You have to love the cheap price of RAM these days! I just picked up an addidional 128MB of pc100 RAM for my Inspiron laptop from Crucial for around $60.

[Edited by BartleyR7 on 03-02-01 at 12:39 PM]
Old 03-02-01, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a lonely 192 RAM.
Old 03-02-01, 11:48 PM

Has anyone tried combining quality ram i.e. Crucial with generic ram in the same box? I have a feeling that this is probably not recommended but I'm curious. I am debating on keeping one box with Crucial and throwing the rest in another box down the road or having it all in one box for now. It would all go on an ASUS P3V4X board with a 500 P3. Any thoughts or related experience?
Old 03-03-01, 12:08 AM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by taliboubou
Has anyone tried combining quality ram i.e. Crucial with generic ram in the same box? I have a feeling that this is probably not recommended but I'm curious. I am debating on keeping one box with Crucial and throwing the rest in another box down the road or having it all in one box for now. It would all go on an ASUS P3V4X board with a 500 P3. Any thoughts or related experience?
If the non-quality RAM has already worked and you're adding quality RAM, go for it. I can't imagine any more problems than you would have with any other two different manufacturer's mixture, which is rare.
Old 03-03-01, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Your biggest problem on the p3v4x is that although it has 4 dimm slots, it only allows you to use 6 banks of memory. Some have even had some stability problems after 5 banks. How many Dimm and how big are they?
My 128 MB and 256 MB dimms take 2 banks each so the max i can put into my computer is 3 Dimms. I am only running with 2 Dimms right now and using 4 banks of memory with 512 MB of ram.

So the bottom line is if the memory was already stable and you are only going to use 3 of the Dimms slots you are probably safe and should not have any problems
Old 03-03-01, 07:28 PM

Cool

I have a 128 dimm and a 64 dimm in there now. Both are PC133 CAS-2 but since I have a P3 500 (with a 5x multiplier) I am only running a 100 FSB. It seems like a waste since I am not O/C the CPU but I have the ram I need when it comes time to update the CPU.

The ram is stable and both are of different generic brands. So I should be set then adding a Crucial 256 PC133 CAS-2. I thought I heard or read somewhere that some brands have incompatibility issues but from what I understand Crucial is one of the top memory manufacturers out there so I should have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm running on 128 with another 2 64 dimms on my dresser, my pc has about no room inside so im not bothering to put in more ram... I do admit though that if the prices keep going down and the 256 DIMMS of Micron hit 100$ Cdn (3 weeks at this pace), I'll probably get a few.
Old 03-03-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool

I have a 128 dimm and a 64 dimm in there now. Both are PC133 CAS-2 but since I have a P3 500 (with a 5x multiplier) I am only running a 100 FSB. It seems like a waste since I am not O/C the CPU but I have the ram I need when it comes time to update the CPU.

The ram is stable and both are of different generic brands. So I should be set then adding a Crucial 256 PC133 CAS-2. I thought I heard or read somewhere that some brands have incompatibility issues but from what I understand Crucial is one of the top memory manufacturers out there so I should have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the info.
You should not have problems with the pc133 crucial 256 MB ram- i am running two of these myself.

do you have you ram set to by spd or manually setting the timings?
with by spd set the dimms will run with 4 way interleaving enabled. with manual settings you need to set the 4 way your self.
go to this link and download this great little program that does this for you! especially put together for our p3v4x motherboard

http://www.overclockers.com.au/ubb/F...ML/004060.html
Old 03-07-01, 10:33 PM

Well I got my ram today and installed it. It all seems to work together. I checked out the overclockers.com site and I already have the 4 way interleaving set (I believe it defaulted to this as I don't remember physically changing anything). Unless I was getting some sort of false value for this and it really isn't enabled. Is there a sure way to confirm the 4 way interleaving? Is it in the BIOS or is it accurately detected by a program such as SiSoft Sandra 2001 Standard? I have never really paid any attention to this. What are the advantages to this?
Old 03-07-01, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I got my ram today and installed it. It all seems to work together. I checked out the overclockers.com site and I already have the 4 way interleaving set (I believe it defaulted to this as I don't remember physically changing anything). Unless I was getting some sort of false value for this and it really isn't enabled. Is there a sure way to confirm the 4 way interleaving? Is it in the BIOS or is it accurately detected by a program such as SiSoft Sandra 2001 Standard? I have never really paid any attention to this. What are the advantages to this?
If you set the memory to by spd then it automatically enables 4 way. if you are manually setting the cas, ras... then you need to use that little program beta4w.com to enable it. you can run sisoft sandra and it will show you if it is enabled when you run mainboard information
get it here

http://www.sisoftware.demon.co.uk/sandra/

you can also benchmark your system with the program.
Old 03-08-01, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Definitely make sure to touch the PC chassis and ground yourself before you handle the RAM, and install it into the RAM slot.
Old 03-08-01, 05:10 PM

Definitely grounded myself. I have yet to discharge anything

Also have Sandra already, a good utility to have as well. Thanks for the info.