Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Odd RoKU/YouTube/Google account problem.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-04-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using a Roku and I can’t seem to switch between YouTube accounts like I can on Apple TV, my iPad and iPhone.

Ive ended up with two YouTube accounts. One I set up way back in the day just to create playlists. I think the 2nd one I made when I set up t YouTube TV. They both use the same email address. Regardless, on most of my devices I can switch between the two accounts. I prefer the old one when using YouTube as I have 100’s of saved video of music, food, and such. It took me a bit, but on my Apple TV, iPad and iPhone, I figured out how to switch to the account I want. I’ve already searched and seems not possible to combine the two YouTube accounts.

However, on a cheap TCL Roku TV I got for gym, it doesn’t even show the old account to switch to. This is kind of a bummer as the music would be great in gym. I can stream it from my iPad as a work around, but wondering if anyone has run into this.
Old 05-04-20, 07:55 PM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Odd RoKU/YouTube/Google account problem.

I had the same problem recently. I also have multiple Youtube accounts. It seems that Youtube's Roku app has changed the sign-in process. And it only registered my primary account.

Anyways, I eventually got it fixed. Sorry, but I don't remember how. I just tried a bunch of different things, and eventually it worked.

This might help you.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/multip...accounts-roku/

I might have used these:

https://www.youtube.com/pair
https://www.youtube.com/activate

Old 06-02-20, 10:32 PM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Odd RoKU/YouTube/Google account problem.

Ugh. The Youtube app on my Roku was updated and I had to go through the sign-in process again. The good news is, after a lot of trial and error I was able to figure it out. Here's how to fix this problem.

When you open the Youtube app, start the Sign-In process. Select "Sign-In With Your Phone". It tries to find your mobile device. At the bottom click "Try Another Way". It gives you a code and sends you to youtube.com/activate. Enter the code on the website, then choose the profile you want to use.

I can't believe they make it so difficult. But at least it works. This way you can add your primary account and secondary account, and easily switch between them.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 06-02-20 at 10:38 PM.