Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Echo Auto

Old 06-14-19, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Echo Auto

I preregistered and bought within seconds of email. $24.99 plus tax, half price of "regular" price. I LOVE it. I use it mostly to listen to songs without having to do playlists. I have to tinker with it because you can supposedly link Google Maps and Waze to it and I haven't done that yet (and I do use Google Maps almost on a daily basis). But just being able to play any song on command (have Spotify) is worth the price of admission. Also being able to make phone calls. I described it to my husband as a hands-free device that actually works. One happy camper. They're not accepting reviews yet, but they have my 5 stars.

When I first got it I opened the package and started unpacking and thought cool a remote I can probably use it with all our Echoes and put it aside and kept unpacking looking for the Echo... oh, that was the Echo!
Old 06-20-19, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Echo Auto

I got mine less than a week ago, and it’s going back tomorrow. The thing worked properly for about the first five minutes, and has been an exercise in frustration ever since.

My car has no Bluetooth support, so I had to make do with using my iPhone and the aux cable/jack. The initial setup was mostly flawless, finding and pairing the device almost immediately, and instantly finding the handful of songs I threw at it on Amazon Music. There was, however, a considerable delay with performing home automation tasks; turning the porch light on and off took anywhere from five to ten seconds, whereas it takes less than a second through the Echo Dot inside the house (and both devices were on the same Wi-Fi network, since I was testing all of this from the driveway).

When I got in the car the next morning, it refused to pair with my phone, despite Bluetooth being on and the Alexa app still running in the background, and I was never able to successfully pair it again. No amount of resets, power cycles, forgetting devices, or any other Amazon suggestions made any difference.

I had high hopes for it, but it was almost a complete failure for me. I have had similarly bad luck with other Echo “peripherals” like the Echo Remote and the silly Echo Clock, but the Dot has been almost rock solid.
Old 06-20-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Echo Auto

I only had to pair once and it works flawlessly through Bluetooth. I don't have to touch anything, it's always ready to go. Honestly, having used things like the Pokemon Go Plus and such, it's a combination of phone and car that is either going to make it or break it for you. I don't use it for home stuff as we only have inside lights set up for it. I've been having a blast with it. I work nights and it's helpful to go over my schedule for the day on the way home. And I like that it plays NPR, pop radio station, I've tried the audiobooks and podcasts, and of course music.