Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Program for transferring files between PC's?

Old 12-29-18, 03:59 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,588
Program for transferring files between PC's?

I'm looking for a (free) program to transfer large files from one computer to another. I know certain topics aren't permitted to be discussed here so without getting into too much detail, I have a large collection of video files that my dad asks me to copy over to his computer so at least once a week I'm at his house with my external HDD copying files to his computer. Years ago I used to use AIM for this, does such a program exist for this purpose anymore? I use WinSCP to transfer files between computers on my own network, but can this be used to do what I'm looking for as well? Thanks!

Last edited by JZ1276; 12-29-18 at 04:15 PM.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 12-29-18, 06:30 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Just to clarify, I assume you're trying to do this without having the physically go over and use the hard drive and just do it online?

You could set up his PC so that you could SCP/FTP files directly to him so his computer acts as a server that you upload to; plenty of free server apps out there like the ol' trusty Filezilla. Might require some network configuration though. Depending on how big the files are it might be easier to upload to a cloud storage provider and then have him download it. DropBox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or something like that can do a few GB for free.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 12-29-18, 06:37 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,588
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Just to clarify, I assume you're trying to do this without having the physically go over and use the hard drive and just do it online?

You could set up his PC so that you could SCP/FTP files directly to him so his computer acts as a server that you upload to; plenty of free server apps out there like the ol' trusty Filezilla. Might require some network configuration though. Depending on how big the files are it might be easier to upload to a cloud storage provider and then have him download it. DropBox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, or something like that can do a few GB for free.
OneDrive crossed my mind but we're talking around 30-50GB at a time. Can WinSCP be used to do this?
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 12-29-18, 06:53 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,631
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Would you not want to use something like this? It's what I used for moving files in my last PC upgrade.

davidh777 is online now  
Old 12-29-18, 08:30 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,662
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
OneDrive crossed my mind but we're talking around 30-50GB at a time. Can WinSCP be used to do this?
Yes. SFTP clients and servers is another option. Another possibility is to use something like Resilio Sync (free edition). It's kind of like Dropbox, but peer-to-peer (no cloud servers involved).
TheBang is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 01:26 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,588
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Would you not want to use something like this? It's what I used for moving files in my last PC upgrade.

If they make one around a mile long, that's around how far my dad lives from me lol
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 01:28 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,588
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Yes. SFTP clients and servers is another option. Another possibility is to use something like Resilio Sync (free edition). It's kind of like Dropbox, but peer-to-peer (no cloud servers involved).
OK so being that I already have WinSCP on my PC & I'm familiar with it, would you know what I'd have to do to send files out of my own network?
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 01:44 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,631
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
If they make one around a mile long, that's around how far my dad lives from me lol
Ah, you said you were there once a week, not that you didnít want to be.
davidh777 is online now  
Old 12-30-18, 02:47 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,588
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Ah, you said you were there once a week, not that you didn’t want to be.
Right. Going to his place with my external HDD to copy the files is extremely easy but it's way too often so what I'm looking to do is not having to go there at all and just send the files directly from my computer to his. Years ago a friend of mine turned me on to a program where the user would create a user name, add users as "friends", and send unlimited files to anyone on their friends list but I can't remember the name of it. We used it constantly for this purpose & it worked great but I'm talking over 10 years ago so it's probably not even around anymore.

Another thing is, and I'm in no way trying to insult my dad, but when it comes to computers, it gets extremely frustrating trying to walk him through steps. He still cant figure out how to retrieve his Facebook messages after I've shown him how to multiple times. I just purchased a Roku stick for him so he can watch these files that are stored on his computer on his TV. I gave him a lesson on how to watch them after set up, but have been back at least 5x to walk him through the process again and again. He doesn't even know the difference between right & left click of the mouse so any program I find that can transfer the files to his machine would have to be extremely easy to use. The program would have to be constantly running in the background with a window popping up to click "accept" or something because there is no way he'd be able to figure out how to open a program to retrieve files I am trying to send.

I just downloaded FileZilla & FTPSurfer. Hopefully one of these will work & be user friendly enough for him. Buying him the Roku stick & figuring out which file transferring program to use is all to avoid having to burn him discs as I stopped using discs years ago & he's constantly asking me to "make" him DVD's of movies/TV shows. It's too time consuming going to the store, buying discs, running the files through a program to convert the files to DVD standard & burning.

Last edited by JZ1276; 12-30-18 at 03:13 AM.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 06:55 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,656
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

What's your upload speed? The average upload speed in the US is around 20Mbps, which means it'd take 113 hours (4.7 days continuously) ~5.68 hours to upload 50GB of data. Sometimes sneakernet is faster.

Also, what are you backups like? To me, it sounds like maybe you could use these weekly trips as an opportunity to store a backup offsite. Get two external drives, fill one up with this week's videos and an encrypted backup of your PC, take it over and leave it there. Then next week, fill the second drive with videos and a new backup, go over and swap drives. That way, if your home ever suffers from a fire, burglary, etc, you'll have a fairly recent backup over at your dad's.


Also, what app are you using for his Roku? Plex offers a pretty simple interface for viewing, although setting up the server can be complex. However, you could set up Plex on your home PC, and your dad could simply stream the files over the internet, if your upload speed is good enough for that.
https://www.plex.tv/
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/13535/plex
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201...way-from-home/

Edit:Math was off by a lot

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-30-18 at 09:23 PM.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 09:12 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,535
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
What's your upload speed? The average upload speed in the US is around 20Mbps, which means it'd take 113 hours (4.7 days continuously) to upload 50GB of data. Sometimes sneakernet is faster.
That's off... At 20 mbps upload speed, he'd be able to upload 9 GB per hour or 216 GB per day. So, "only" ~5 hours for 50 GB, which isn't too bad.

Now, 2 mbps, on the other hand... 115 hours.
zyzzle is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 09:24 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,656
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That's off... At 20 mbps upload speed, he'd be able to upload 9 GB per hour or 216 GB per day. So, "only" ~5 hours for 50 GB...
Yeah, my math was off, although at 5.688 hours, it's closer to 6 hours than 5.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 12-30-18, 11:15 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,173
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

I use to use a utility to remote control my fathers PC and do anything I needed to it without involving him (he always made it worse when he touched anything) that utility also included a file transfer feature that worked well, but it is no longer free

Just putting this idea out here for you as I found another utility that offers remote control and file transfer that may work for you. I have not used it, but this should do what you need and allow you to do it without having your dad touch anything

Check it out, test it, see if the file transfer feature does what you need, it's free

https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/
4KRG is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 12:17 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,588
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Thanks guys for all the ideas so far:

Just did a speed test as I haven't tested in awhile. Download is 81.96 & upload is 92.67 so it's pretty fast. He's using Roku's Media Player app, which he is just now getting used to after a month. I'm very familiar with Plex as I've been a long time Kodi user since it originated on Xbox so having him learn Plex now just after he has just become comfortable using Roku would probably be a nightmare.
I do have all my data backed up, but wouldn't want to keep my back ups anywhere other than at my place.
I wish I could remember the name of this program that I use to use all the time to send and receive files between my friends & I but it was well over 10 years ago. I remember users would create user names, then you'd add the users as friends & you would have a friend list & send whatever to whoever on your friends list. It was a great, user friendly program. Sending & receiving files with AIM was pretty straight forward also & that was well over 10 years ago. Can't believe after all this time more programs like this don't seem to exist. I'm gonna look into https://www.remoteutilities.com/download/ that 4KRG mentioned.
Thanks again for all everyone's help & Happy New Year!
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 12:25 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,631
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
Another thing is, and I'm in no way trying to insult my dad, but when it comes to computers, it gets extremely frustrating trying to walk him through steps. He still cant figure out how to retrieve his Facebook messages after I've shown him how to multiple times. I just purchased a Roku stick for him so he can watch these files that are stored on his computer on his TV. I gave him a lesson on how to watch them after set up, but have been back at least 5x to walk him through the process again and again. He doesn't even know the difference between right & left click of the mouse so any program I find that can transfer the files to his machine would have to be extremely easy to use. The program would have to be constantly running in the background with a window popping up to click "accept" or something because there is no way he'd be able to figure out how to open a program to retrieve files I am trying to send.
Yeah. My dad got a smart BD player specifically because he wanted to watch Bosch on Prime. When I was in town over the summer, I installed the player and set up his Prime account on it, put Bosch on his watchlist, and showed him how it all works, but he's still never watched it because he can't remember.
davidh777 is online now  
Old 12-31-18, 06:27 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,588
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Yeah. My dad got a smart BD player specifically because he wanted to watch Bosch on Prime. When I was in town over the summer, I installed the player and set up his Prime account on it, put Bosch on his watchlist, and showed him how it all works, but he's still never watched it because he can't remember.
It gets kind of scary. No matter how many times or lessons you give your parents on tech gadgets, they just never seem to 'get it'. I also got my dad & his wife an Amazon Dot & after over a week he still calls me claiming it doesn't work because he calls it "Lexy, Lexis, Alex" ..basically everything but Alexa.
Same with the Roku stick. "Rocky, Raku, Roki", everything but Roku lol.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 06:38 PM
  #17  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,821
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

^^ Change the wake word to "Echo" or "Computer". That helped for my mom.
The Cow is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 09:29 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,656
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
^^ Change the wake word to "Echo" or "Computer". That helped for my mom.
Yeah, if I ever got an Echo, I'd change the wake word to "Computer" so I could feel like I'm on Star Trek.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 12-31-18, 09:34 PM
  #19  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,821
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Yeah, if I ever got an Echo, I'd change the wake word to "Computer" so I could feel like I'm on Star Trek.
If you watch a decent amount of TV, don't do that in the room with the TV. You'd might be surprised how often it gets activated. I had to change that one again.
The Cow is offline  
Old 01-01-19, 12:34 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 38,982
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

I run a Plex server at my house for my old man to watch things at his, it's easier since he's getting up there and can never remember the new apps. This is actually why I'm so pissed that Plex butchered their Roku app, but thankfully there's the retro one and he is on a fire TV for now. I still use FileZilla as an ftp server and just provide links ( ftp://user: [email protected]: port/directory ) when I need other files. Does ICQ have a file size limit?
RichC2 is offline  
Old 01-01-19, 02:59 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,588
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
If you watch a decent amount of TV, don't do that in the room with the TV. You'd might be surprised how often it gets activated. I had to change that one again.
I've been thinking of changing the wake word to "Hal".
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 01-02-19, 03:17 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,662
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
OK so being that I already have WinSCP on my PC & I'm familiar with it, would you know what I'd have to do to send files out of my own network?
You might just want to check out Resilio Sync then. All you have to do is have the client running on each of your computers. Then, anything you drop into the sync folder automatically copies over to his sync folder on his computer, like Dropbox, except without the cloud servers. Seems like a no-hassle solution for what you want to do. Doesn't require any manual intervention on your dad's part. Files just show up in his folder.
TheBang is offline  
Old 01-02-19, 03:28 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 12,073
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

If these are video files, why not just set up a Plex server and give him access to it?
Noonan is online now  
Old 01-02-19, 04:35 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
JZ1276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,588
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
You might just want to check out Resilio Sync then. All you have to do is have the client running on each of your computers. Then, anything you drop into the sync folder automatically copies over to his sync folder on his computer, like Dropbox, except without the cloud servers. Seems like a no-hassle solution for what you want to do. Doesn't require any manual intervention on your dad's part. Files just show up in his folder.
Thanks, I'm going to give this a try.
JZ1276 is offline  
Old 01-02-19, 09:05 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,894
Re: Program for transferring files between PC's?

I was gonna recommend just setting up VNC (server) on his computer. You can log in from yours and do file transfers in either direction.
Chrisedge is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.