DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-08-18, 03:09 PM   #1
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Media Players that can play X265 HEVC files?

Are there any Media Players that can play X265 HEVC files? Now don't laugh but I still have WD Live Media Players. A Gen 1 & Gen 2 version. They played everything i threw at it. But just tried to play a X265 HEVC encoded MKV files & it does not support it.

Even the Plex app on my almost 3 year old Samsung HD TV will not play it. I brought a 2018 ABOX A4 running Android 7.1 for my SNL. Won't be here until next week & guess we will see if can play those files.
Old 06-08-18, 03:50 PM   #2

Re: Media Players that can play X265 HEVC files?

Don't know if it's the same thing, but Leawo Blu-ray player has a format called ".265" underneath the MPEG4 Media column. You should try Leawo, and PotPlayer. Both are free to download.
Old 06-08-18, 04:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Don't know if it's the same thing, but Leawo Blu-ray player has a format called ".265" underneath the MPEG4 Media column. You should try Leawo, and PotPlayer. Both are free to download.
Thanks for the info but I am not looking for software players. I have VLC & it plays those files without any problems. I'm looking at hardware media players.
Old 06-09-18, 07:10 AM   #4

Apple TV plays them thru the VLC app. But... Apple broke DTS passthrough beginning with tvOS 11.3 and it's still not fixed in 11.4.

Not laughing... still have the WD Live box myself. It was collecting dust until the DTS issue.
Old 06-09-18, 08:38 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

HEVC/265 files are highly compressed and require a lot of processing power to decode, so a lot of devices like blu-ray players and tvs can't decode them.

The best options are to either play them on a PC connected to your tv through an HDMI cable or to re-encode them to 264.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 06-09-18, 10:40 PM   #6
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The question is still not answered. "Just play .264 files" is not an acceptable answer for what the OP is trying to accomplish.

I don't know of any standalone media player, excepting Apple TV and its concomitant DRM garbage, that can play a native .265 stream.

Most Samsung 4k TVs will decode and play h.265 streams (up to 3840x2160) just fine. Just stick the h.265 stream that you're trying to play onto a USB stick, plug it into the TV and it magically play! No UHD Blu-ray player or standalone media player required.
Old 06-10-18, 02:28 AM   #7

OK I usually d/l 720p/1080p MP4 Korean drama raw files. They are usually 750MB, 1.4GB or 2.4GB depending on length of episode & what resolution. I also in past have d/led the files in MKV. Of course usually smaller in size. But a friend of mine & his father tell me they can tell the difference in quality. I don't see it but that is not the point. Just recently I found some 720P MKV Files that are 3-3.5 times the size of the 720p MP4 ones. But of course when I checked the info of the file I notice it was .265. My computer plays them fine but not the two WD Live players & a Nexus Google player. Plex app on my TV will not play them as well as trying them through the USB. Of course this is not a 4K TV. I will continue to d/l both type of files & until I find the right TV or Media player that will play them.

My friend & his father have Dune Media players that are 2-3 years old. I have a ABOX A4 Android 7.1 TV BOX coming in next week from Amazon & will report back how that works out.
Old 06-11-18, 04:52 AM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
Are there any Media Players that can play X265 HEVC files?
A little bit of searching brought up the Nvidia Shield and the Mi Box as the most common suggestions for your use-case.
Old 06-13-18, 04:36 PM   #9
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're talking about streaming h265 from a Plex server, Roku Ultra & plex app will stream it via hardware transcoding.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/29...nning-roku-os8

I upgraded our Roku 3 upstairs to an Ultra for this reason.

Pretty sure it would also do h265 via the SD card also then but I haven't looked into it since I use Plex for everything.
Old 06-13-18, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
If you're talking about streaming h265 from a Plex server, Roku Ultra & plex app will stream it via hardware transcoding.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/29...nning-roku-os8

I upgraded our Roku 3 upstairs to an Ultra for this reason.

Pretty sure it would also do h265 via the SD card also then but I haven't looked into it since I use Plex for everything.
I tried to use stream from Plex on my Samsung UN58J5190A & the H265 file would not run.
Old 06-13-18, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
A little bit of searching brought up the Nvidia Shield and the Mi Box as the most common suggestions for your use-case.
I had 3 Nvidia Shields but never took them out of the box. I just resold them. Unfortunately my Mom who has fell a few steps from the bottom of the stairs landed on a bench seat we had against the wall I fractured her collarbone & 6 or so ribs on her right side. She is home from the hospital but it's a 24 hour job of taking care of her. I missed the FED-EX guy yesterday fro that media player I brought since I had to sign for it.
Old 06-14-18, 10:42 PM   #12
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
I tried to use stream from Plex on my Samsung UN58J5190A & the H265 file would not run.
Pretty sure your Samsung TV has to be UHD (4k) compatible to support h.265 playback. 1080p sets don't have the codec built in their WebOS / firmware.
Old 06-15-18, 03:55 PM   #13
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
That's why you need a Roku Ultra or another playback device that plays nice with h265.

Plex on my LG OLED doesn't play nice with them either, although there's a guy with a third-party plex-compatible app that works better on my set (Xplay).

A decent discussion of the various devices here

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/commen...ice_with_plex/