Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Explain how Kodi and Plex is used legally?

Old 05-30-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Explain how Kodi and Plex is used legally?

Just curious. How are they 2 very popular apps used legally?

Seems like there are hundreds if not thousands of YouTube videos explaining on how to obtain pirated movies and live streams on Kodi.

Plex...which I don't get. Is apparently used to play media files off your computer like movies and TV shows. Many obtained illegally. I read that some burn files from their DVDs and BDs and store them on their PC to use on Plex. But, isn't that kind of illegal already to break copyright encryption to do this?

The aim for this is to not call anyone out for committing an illegal act with these apps. If these 2 apps are considered legal, I would like to know how they are actually used legally.
Old 05-30-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Explain how Kodi and Plex is used legally?

It is likely (maybe even certain) that the vast majority of users are using this in some fashion that is not legal. However, both are basically just software that allows you to stream or otherwise play video (and other) files from your computer, and there are legal uses for that. For instance, I do keep an archive of personal videos (my kids performances, etc.) and use Kodi to play them on my Fire TV, and I have some digital files that are DRM free that are obtained legally (for instance, Transformers the Movie came with an unencrypted digital file to download).
Old 05-30-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can use Plex to stream any digital copies of films/TV you may have (which come with many Blu-ray releases thus perfectly legal).

Kodi itself is legal, but it's possible to download apps for it that can allow for non-legal streaming (depends on the country, I believe here in Canada, this is not technically illegal because you are streaming as opposed to downloading unauthorized content, a loophole in our law that will probably eventually be changed). I'm not sure the original use of Kodi, something to do with Xbox or Window Media Center I think?
Old 05-30-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plex is effectively just a front-end for playing media of various types across a network. Its legal uses are the same as any other media player such as VLC or even Windows Media Player - it just has more features for distributed playback and media organization. There is absolutely nothing illegal about it.

To use an analogy (that will date me), back when MP3 file sharing was cracked down on, it was Napster that actually enabled the illegal activity and was shut down. No one went after Winamp even though everyone and their brother probably used Winamp to actually play the MP3s they stole, because the media player is completely agnostic to whether the media being played was obtained legally or not.

If a media player intentionally bypasses DRM, things get a little more murky, but I don't believe Plex does that.

Personally, I have a ton of personal videos, personal photos, legally-owned music and video media files (purchased MP3s, videos downloaded from archive.org, etc) that I use Plex to organize and access.
Old 05-30-18, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have my entire CD collection ripped into flac and I use Plex to stream to my TV (Samsung via Smart App) and my iPhone without having to sync or download. It's all direct play at full quality and I have easy access to all my music.

Never thought of it in an illegal way before.
Old 05-30-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are a lot of Kodi add ons that stream legal content
Crackle and
Internet Archive Movies
are two that come to mind

news broadcasts from around the world are available too

go to kodi.tv and check out the add ons there, all are legal
Old 05-30-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Plex is just a media host and streamer, it's also a bit of a cord cutter tool kit now: Store your podcasts, home videos, DRM-free movie downloads (GOG, Vimeo, etc; ), music, photos (+ autosyncing features on iOS and Android), locally recorded TV (it has a really solid DVR + Live TV function if you have a cable card or Antenna), etc; and view/listen/watch them on other devices.

It's also a decent centralized app for web media streaming (Local News, Twitch, Reddit, CNN, BBC iPlayer, etc; ). It works well as "home cloud" storage solution (iCloud or Google Drive you host on your home PC) too. It has come a long way from being a go-between to watch Hulu Free on your TV in poor quality. I also use it to queue up videos around the web while at work, then watch the playlist on my Roku.

Kodi is a standard media player with a lot of plug-ins that pull from websites, most are legal and some are illegal. Also works fine.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-30-18 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
I have my entire CD collection ripped into flac and I use Plex to stream to my TV (Samsung via Smart App) and my iPhone without having to sync or download. It's all direct play at full quality and I have easy access to all my music.

Never thought of it in an illegal way before.
That's the root of the issue: you apparently have the right to make a backup of whatever media you own, but it is illegal to break encryption to do so (DMCA 17). I believe CD ripping is allowed, however.

If you have a bunch of dvds in your closet and ripped them to a home nas to stream for ease of use, I think most would find that acceptable, but it still technically breaks the law, which is what DJariya is referring to.
Old 06-04-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^ No DVDs are ripped in my Plex setup. But 2000+ CDs are.