Cloudflare announces 1.1.1.1 - privacy-first consumer DNS

Old 04-02-18, 03:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Cloudflare announces 1.1.1.1 - privacy-first consumer DNS

Announcing 1.1.1.1: the fastest, privacy-first consumer DNS service
https://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-1111/

Building a Consumer DNS Service
The insecurity of the DNS infrastructure struck the team at Cloudflare as a bug at the core of the Internet, so we set out to do something about it. Given we run one of the largest, most interconnected global networks — and have a lot of experience with DNS — we were well positioned to launch a consumer DNS service. We began testing and found that a resolver, running across our global network, outperformed any of the other consumer DNS services available (including Google's 8.8.8.8). That was encouraging.

We began talking with browser manufacturers about what they would want from a DNS resolver. One word kept coming up: privacy. Beyond just a commitment not to use browsing data to help target ads, they wanted to make sure we would wipe all transaction logs within a week. That was an easy request. In fact, we knew we could go much further. We committed to never writing the querying IP addresses to disk and wiping all logs within 24 hours.

Cloudflare's business has never been built around tracking users or selling advertising. We don't see personal data as an asset; we see it as a toxic asset. While we need some logging to prevent abuse and debug issues, we couldn't imagine any situation where we'd need that information longer than 24 hours. And we wanted to put our money where our mouth was, so we committed to retaining KPMG, the well-respected auditing firm, to audit our code and practices annually and publish a public report confirming we're doing what we said we would.

Visit https://1.1.1.1/ from any device to get started with the Internet's fastest, privacy-first DNS service.
Announced yesterday. I'll give it a shot on my home network.
Old 04-02-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Cloudflare announces 1.1.1.1 - privacy-first consumer DNS

I switched to 1.0.0.1 yesterday and so far it's working pretty well. Not a huge difference, but definitely not worse than Comcast or Google's DNS so far. Also, don't forget to change your IPv6 DNS too!
Old 04-02-18, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also switched, but would like to know the difference between 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1, and which is actually better / preferable. Everything I've tried to query about those seem to indicate they are identical, but are those two DNS resolver servers physically located in the same location? If so, they must logically be the same in speed. But, I've tested via DNS Speed test and found a slight edge to 1.0.0.1, so I listed it as primary and 1.1.1.1 as alternate DNS server. Is there any reason that I should not have done that?

I'm pleased with the service so far, and the promise that all logs are erased in 24 hours, no logs are sold to advertisers, and that your privacy is not compromised. Of course time will tell, but it seems to be a better solution to Google's 8.8.8.8 right now. Cloudflare might become greedy later on, but for now, the going's good (and free). I'd trust Cloudflare over Google any day.
Old 04-02-18, 08:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

They say that 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 should be identical... just redundant in case issues arise with one over the other. But based on what you've said, I've also made 1.0.0.1 the primary. We'll see how that goes.