Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cox cable gigablast

Old 01-20-18, 11:54 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Cox cable gigablast

Anyone here have cox gigablast via coax? I got it today as well as the netgear AC1900. The PS4 is hard wired and getting shit download. Less than 60mbps. My speed test for my Mac on WiFi ranges from 67 to 300. Isnít this pretty slow when I should be close to 1k? Will the PS4 always year slow?
Old 01-21-18, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Cox cable gigablast

You may also want to post your question here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/coxhsi
Old 01-21-18, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

WiFi is probably limited by the wireless chip. Make sure you're connected to the 5 GHz range for maximum speed as well. Best test would be a wired connection to a PC or laptop to run a speedtest, if possible.
Old 01-21-18, 09:44 AM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
WiFi is probably limited by the wireless chip. Make sure you're connected to the 5 GHz range for maximum speed as well. Best test would be a wired connection to a PC or laptop to run a speedtest, if possible.
I ran my iMac and at one point it was 175 mbps then another time 77. I have no clue. Cox will come check it out today and see whatís going on. I would think directly from the modem to the iMac would be higher than 175.

Is there a reason why the PS4 would reflect low as well when connected to the router?
Old 01-21-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ManfromCyrodiil View Post
I ran my iMac and at one point it was 175 mbps then another time 77. I have no clue. Cox will come check it out today and see whatís going on. I would think directly from the modem to the iMac would be higher than 175.

Is there a reason why the PS4 would reflect low as well when connected to the router?
Right, but you said you tested on WiFi in the first post. WiFi can be finicky and subject to interference, especially at 2.4 GHz which also has slower peek speeds then 5 GHz If it was hard wired and still those speeds, as well as bypassing the router, then yeah it sounds like something Cox would need to look at.
Old 01-21-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I have Gigablast. fumanstan is right about the wifi chips in your devices. It can only go as fast as they can receive. My cellphone and laptop get up to about 300mbps on wifi, give or take. Can't go any faster because that is the limitation of the chip. My hardwired Xbox One X gets about same. I've seen speeds much higher and much lower. It varies wildly, especially if a lot of people in your neighborhood also have the service.

If you are getting that big of swings, I'd have a tech check it out. I'm fine even if I don't get the advertised Gbps speed, because I'm locked in at $79.99 for 3 years, which is cheaper than their 200 Mbps speeds in my area.
Old 01-21-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This report indicates that the Netgear AC1900 could possibly have problems providing gigabit wire speeds. And you're certainly not going to get gigabit speeds over WiFi.

If you want to get accurate tests, you need to test wired only. You should try connecting your iMac directly to the modem (don't use the Netgear). That will tell you the true speed of your Cox connection.

Also, what site are you using for your speedtests?
Old 01-21-18, 02:34 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Ok thanks guys I know not to expect much wireless but more than 70 would be nice

In my second post I stated I hooked my iMac directly into the modem and didnít get higher than 160. I thought Iíd get more than that.

For speed test I did the cox speed test off their site and also Speedtest.net
Old 01-21-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, if that's all you are getting with a direct connect, something is clearly wrong.
Old 01-21-18, 05:44 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Coz just left. How shocking I had the wrong modem. Just swapped it out. Wirelessly my Mac and is running almost 600mbps and connected it hit 790 twice. I wonít worry about the PS4 (connected to router) as the online gaming is running just fine, no lags etc, and our iPhones are hitting almost 400.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 01-21-18, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ManfromCyrodiil View Post
Coz just left. How shocking I had the wrong modem. Just swapped it out. Wirelessly my Mac and is running almost 600mbps and connected it hit 790 twice. I won’t worry about the PS4 (connected to router) as the online gaming is running just fine, no lags etc, and our iPhones are hitting almost 400.

Thanks for the help guys
How could you have the wrong modem? There is no modem. It's a direct fiber connection where they have to mount the modem on the wall, so it can get the direct fiber line from outside. This isn't like a standard modem for regular cable internet. It's called an Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

If you are using a Docsis cable modem, I'm pretty sure your service isn't truly Gigablast.
Old 01-21-18, 08:53 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
How could you have the wrong modem? There is no modem. It's a direct fiber connection where they have to mount the modem on the wall, so it can get the direct fiber line from outside. This isn't like a standard modem for regular cable internet. It's called an Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

If you are using a Docsis cable modem, I'm pretty sure your service isn't truly Gigablast.
Itís coax as they donít offer fiber in tempe so I have to use a docsis 3.1.

Iím guaranteed up to 1k download (hit as high as 840) but limited to upload at 35 and ok with that

Getting the speeds Iím more than happy to pay an extra 10.00 a month
Old 01-21-18, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah apparently they aren't running fiber anymore from what I am reading. Problem is with your service, you are still sharing bandwidth with all your neighborhood. You will never get consistent speeds. The fiber runs don't share any bandwidth. I can see why they aren't running fiber anymore though. Extensive installation process. Upside is I have unlimited data unlike new installs.
Old 01-21-18, 09:36 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Yeah apparently they aren't running fiber anymore from what I am reading. Problem is with your service, you are still sharing bandwidth with all your neighborhood. You will never get consistent speeds. The fiber runs don't share any bandwidth. I can see why they aren't running fiber anymore though. Extensive installation process. Upside is I have unlimited data unlike new installs.

Unlimited is nice. I think I max out at 2TB. They they had a lot of issues installing in Ahwatukee so who knows. I know they will be inconsistent but high 500-600 is still good
Old 01-21-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk God

I am in the 'tukee. They did most of Club West area from what I understand.
Old 01-21-18, 10:04 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

I am in the 'tukee. They did most of Club West area from what I understand.

Ok. Iím down in Tempe. We wonít get the fiber
Old 01-21-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk God

I think they gave up installing it when Google Fiber pulled out
Old 01-22-18, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Enjoy it while it lasts, within a year you'll probably be down to 50 - 100 mbps due to net neutrality meltdown. And, of course they stopped gigabit, it is too much work, not enough profit for them. They don't give two shits about their customers, remember.

We're at a point where gigabit rollouts should have been happening all over the country. Not anymore, we're regressing at an alarming rate. Sad, and a pity more people don't realize what is happening, and why it is happening.

And, OP, glad you bothered to get them back out and make it right. Most probably wouldn't have bothered, and they know that.
Old 01-22-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Enjoy it while it lasts, within a year you'll probably be down to 50 - 100 mbps due to net neutrality meltdown. And, of course they stopped gigabit, it is too much work, not enough profit for them. They don't give two shits about their customers, remember.

We're at a point where gigabit rollouts should have been happening all over the country. Not anymore, we're regressing at an alarming rate. Sad, and a pity more people don't realize what is happening, and why it is happening.

And, OP, glad you bothered to get them back out and make it right. Most probably wouldn't have bothered, and they know that.
They stopped Gigabit fiber runs because they lost a competitor who was going to do it cheaper and because they can get nearly those speeds from standard cable internet installs. DOCSIS 3.1 has made that possible. It wasn't available when I got my Gigabit installed (more than a year ago).

I hope Amazon and Cox some how merge just to make your head explode.
Old 01-22-18, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They stopped Gigabit fiber runs because they lost a competitor who was going to do it cheaper and because they can get nearly those speeds from standard cable internet installs. DOCSIS 3.1 has made that possible. It wasn't available when I got my Gigabit installed (more than a year ago).

Agreed that DOCSIS 3.1 is excellent. "500 mbps is enough for anybody!"

CORRECTION by Cox: 500 mbps for the 1%, 0.5 mbps for the others.
Old 01-22-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather