Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good old fast Firefox is back

Old 11-17-17, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Good old fast Firefox is back

In terms of moving the computer illiterates onto FF57, I'll probably wait until the first (57.0.1) or second (57.0.2) bugfix releases of FF57.
Old 11-17-17, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Does nocoin do any better than the "resource abuse" lists in ublockorigin?
Were you asking me? Because I have no idea, that's why I was asking, lol
Old 11-17-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Were you asking me?
I'm not really fluent in the adblock nor the ublockorigin syntax.

The only way I've been able to look at ublockorigin's "resource-abuse" and the nocoin extension, is seeing what the blacklists actually look like. Both can be read in generic ascii text. (For the NoCoin extension, one has to download the source code and open up the zip file manually to find the blacklist text file).

There's also a third independent nocoin blacklist separate from the first two.

As far as I can guess, it appears all three blacklists more or less cover the same ground in their own syntax. They appear to be either blocking particular hosts outright, or not allowing certain scripts to be run.
Old 11-18-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ever since upgrading to Quantum, has anyone else had any problems opening up Task Manager? For my PC, everything slows down like hell when doing so, and I noticed the disk percentage jumps up to close to 100%!
Old 11-18-17, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mobile

Firefox 57 android > Brave ✔️ > Chrome

Update: Ignore what I previously wrote. FF57 craps out.

Last edited by Sonic; 11-26-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-18-17, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Ever since upgrading to Quantum, has anyone else had any problems opening up Task Manager? For my PC, everything slows down like hell when doing so, and I noticed the disk percentage jumps up to close to 100%!
This seems to happen in the first 30 to 45 seconds after FF57 + is first invoked. Though I usually run taskmanager (or process explorer) ahead of time, before I run any web browsers.
Old 11-18-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I decided to measure some timings, from when a browser is first invoked to when it is usable.

For both the current versions of Brave and Firefox57 (or Nightly), I have to wait around 45-50 seconds before either browser is useable. (Firefox with only ublockorigin, and Brave blocking all ads and scripts).

FF57 (or Nightly) pops up on the screen relatively quickly around 5-10 seconds after invocation.

Brave takes at least 30 seconds from invocation, to pop up eventually on the screen. Once it pops up on the screen, it takes another 10-15 seconds for anything to be useable.
Old 11-18-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brave takes at least 30 seconds from invocation, to pop up eventually on the screen. Once it pops up on the screen, it takes another 10-15 seconds for anything to be useable.
I tried Brave on desktop the other day and I experienced the same thing and startup speed. There was no way in hell I could deal with that long delay. So I removed it. Firefox on the other hand loads up much quicker than Brave on my system. Chrome as well is pretty fast on loading up for the first time.
Old 11-20-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh. New Firefox (57.0) SUCKS. They keep saying it's supposed to be faster, but it is literally 5x slower than the version I had before. Trying to see if I can roll it back...
Old 11-20-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I upgraded to 57.0 on my Windows 10 PC at work last week, and everything was fine until this morning, when I started having the responsiveness issues EinCB mentioned. Doing a refresh has resolved the issue so far (hold down the Shift key, then launch Firefox, then press the Refresh Firefox button).

Pages do seem to load faster, but I don't particularly care for the darker Edge-like interface.

(Hooray for me, 5,000 posts in just 15 years!)
Old 11-20-17, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After trying 57.0 for a few hours, and getting way too many instances of "not responding", I rolled back to 56.x and everything's perfect again.
Old 11-20-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
After trying 57.0 for a few hours, and getting way too many instances of "not responding", I rolled back to 56.x and everything's perfect again.
You may want to roll to Firefox 52 ESR. It's got all the security updates until 2018.
Old 11-20-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that's what it is - I got it from mozilla's own link.
Old 11-20-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I think that's what it is - I got it from mozilla's own link.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...nizations/all/

I heard it changes the settings when switching to ESR. I'm not sure how much of that is true but looking at my settings things are pretty intact.

------

BTW no-script webextension was finally converted/released today for FF57. I might have to give FF57 a spin tonight to see how the browser performs. I seem to like this ESR though.
Old 11-20-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
BTW no-script webextension was finally converted/released today for FF57. I might have to give FF57 a spin tonight to see how the browser performs.
This new noscript interface seemed somewhat cryptic at first.

After some fiddling around, I came to the realization the "custom" mode buttons resembles how uMatrix functions.
Old 11-20-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This new noscript interface seemed somewhat cryptic at first.

After some fiddling around, I came to the realization the "custom" mode buttons resembles how uMatrix functions.
Yeah you absolutely right. Took me awhile to figure it out and get the hang of things. It looks simplistic and something a new user might understand better than the previous legacy version.

I must say FF57 does appear to be snappier on my system. I'm digging it. But then again I'm on a fresh new profile so usually it's always fast when creating a fresh new profile/refreshing.

I did notice some sites I visit load up very fast compared to the last version FF56 which I had to wait many seconds for.

I'm pretty impressed (especially with no-script). I find things looking quite cleaner.
Old 11-21-17, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another Tor Browser Feature Makes It Into Firefox: First-Party Isolation

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...rty-isolation/
Things are looking good down the line in terms of offering users much more privacy features.
Old 11-21-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I get the impression this pure-webextension noscript 10+ might have been rewritten from scratch. Some of the functionality is still missing, such as protection against clickjacking, etc .... and other stuff in the "advanced" tab in the options menu of previous versions.

I also tried running this new noscript with umatrix+ublockorigin, where noscript only handles XSS attacks (so far). It actually runs smooth so far, unlike the previous versions.
Old 11-21-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get the impression this pure-webextension noscript 10+ might have been rewritten from scratch.
I believe so. Everything has to be reworked when transferring the XUL addon to Webextension. This is why many developers abandoned their work. Too much coding and too much alterations.

The addon "Downloadthemall" is being converted and from the screenshots it looks vastly different than the legacy version.

To be honest I'm glad Mozilla has done this because legacy addons took complete control of Firefox making some of the user's browsers who has no experience, incapable of browsing the web properly. Thanks to webextensions we don't get shitty addons that extort/hijack the browser.

Sorry for my rambling.
Old 11-21-17, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

@morriscroy

More things will be added to no-script

https://hackademix.net/2017/11/21/to...#comment-38469
Old 11-21-17, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite feature of NoScript seems to be gone. I used the 'temporarily allow' button a lot, and then revoked all temporary permissions at the end of a browsing session.
Old 11-21-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
My favorite feature of NoScript seems to be gone. I used the 'temporarily allow' button a lot, and then revoked all temporary permissions at the end of a browsing session.
It's there but you can do it one at a time and not everything as allow all. Click on the "S" to put as trusted then click on the little watch icon to make it bigger. Now it's just temporary until you close the browser.
Old 11-22-17, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At this point I won't be moving the computer illiterates onto FF57, until "temporary allow all" is implemented in the pure-webextension version of NoScript 10+

According to the noscript author's blog, "temporary allow all" is on the todo list.
Old 11-22-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At this point I won't be moving the computer illiterates onto FF57, until "temporary allow all" is implemented in the pure-webextension version of NoScript 10+

According to the noscript author's blog, "temporary allow all" is on the todo list.
No-script just updated. I see new options have been added.
Old 11-26-17, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Mobile

Firefox 57 android > Brave ✔️ > Chrome
Gonna have to eat my words here and say that FF57 on mobile sucks right now it just stopped loading pages. I don't know what happened but after installing Brave again I'm not experiencing any issues with major lagging.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.