Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Good old fast Firefox is back

Old 05-11-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Good old fast Firefox is back

Are you using any addons/extensions which block scripts, such as noscript, ublockorigin, etc ... ?
Old 05-11-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Are you using any addons/extensions which block scripts, such as noscript, ublockorigin, etc ... ?
The only add-on/extension I have is Adblock, but when it was "disabled" by Firefox for a few days, I still had the problem.
Old 05-13-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm ....

Sounds like a deeper problem, which might go beyond Firefox.
Old 05-14-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another possibility is your current firefox profile being corrupted.

If you don't use a lot of custom settings (in about:config), one could save/export the bookmarks and start a new profile.
Old 05-14-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another possibility is your current firefox profile being corrupted.

If you don't use a lot of custom settings (in about:config), one could save/export the bookmarks and start a new profile.
That sounded like a good idea. I was using the default profile, so I created a new one and deleted the old (after saving bookmarks). No go - still have the gray window.
Old 06-25-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I finally made the switch to Firefox yesterday, based off what I read in this article:

Comment: Goodbye, Chrome - why Google's web browser has become spy software

I like it so far, but noticed something weird in regards to this forum. I set the privacy option on firefox to "strict content blocking" ... which isn't about ads, but tracking cookies and such. They warn you that some sites may not work if you do that, and I noticed that twitter embeds don't show up at all if you have it set that way. So I had to turn content blocking off for this site

The other stupid thing, Firefox imported all my passwords from Chrome, but for some reason that login info can't log into any google site. And it won't let me log in manually either, keeps saying my password is wrong. (How can it be wrong if it imported it from Chrome??) Anyway, I don't want to reset my password everywhere, so I guess I'll just access google on Chrome.
Old 06-27-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Well I finally made the switch to Firefox yesterday, based off what I read in this article:

Comment: Goodbye, Chrome - why Google's web browser has become spy software

I like it so far, but noticed something weird in regards to this forum. I set the privacy option on firefox to "strict content blocking" ... which isn't about ads, but tracking cookies and such. They warn you that some sites may not work if you do that, and I noticed that twitter embeds don't show up at all if you have it set that way. So I had to turn content blocking off for this site
Yeah, I use Firefox with several privacy-oriented settings enabled in about:config and I don't see twitter embeds here. I think my life is better for it though, because twitter is a cesspool.

Seriously though, Firefox is the way to go in the browser arena if you want to balance privacy and functionality. There's a reason Tor Browser is built on Firefox and not any of the chromium-based browsers.

Old 06-28-19, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Seriously though, Firefox is the way to go in the browser arena if you want to balance privacy and functionality. There's a reason Tor Browser is built on Firefox and not any of the chromium-based browsers.
There is one. Brave is based on chromium where it uses a Tor client in privacy mode.

It includes lots of standard security functionality, similar to noscript, blocking ads, httpseverywhere, blocking fingerprinting, etc ....

Though in practice if one requires hardcore security, the Tor Browser should be used and not Brave. Brave is good enough if one wants to netsurf casually with a high degree of privacy/anonymity.
Old 06-29-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Google chrome will soon disable your ad-block addon from working.

I guess some in the end will realize that Firefox wasn't so bad afterall.
Old 06-29-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the security minded Brave browser, the question is how exactly will google disable ad-block type addons.

Hopefully google doesn't "contaminate" the generic open source chromium code base, and that the ad-block disabling code is in the google specific proprietary chrome code.

If not, then the question becomes whether chromium based projects (such as Brave) will just fork the chromium code base to an "uncontaminated" unencumbered branch, or just apply band-aid patches to disable the ad-blocking code.
Old 06-29-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The most comprehensive compilation of about:config security modifications I've read so far, is the ghacks one which has explanations + links of what specific changes actually do.

https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js
https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghac...master/user.js
Old 06-29-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The most comprehensive compilation of about:config security modifications I've read so far, is the ghacks one which has explanations + links of what specific changes actually do.

https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghacks-user.js
https://github.com/ghacksuserjs/ghac...master/user.js
I have my Firefox customized with so many options I have to wonder what greater benefit those js links will provide me. The recent version of Firefox comes with Crypto and Fingerprinting blocking in the options.

Have you tried it? And if so has it broken many sites while browsing? That is the reason why I'm skeptical to try. Though I could easily make a profile backup.

Old 06-29-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Have you tried it? And if so has it broken many sites while browsing? That is the reason why I'm skeptical to try. Though I could easily make a profile backup.
I try out a lot of stuff on my Firefox Nightly setup, which is what I use for a lot of my casual netsurfing. For stuff I get a good handle on, I'll cut and paste the modifications into my stable FF setup.

For example in the current Nightly builds, there's a really annoying activity stream feature which will eventually show up in the beta and stable FF builds in the future. So I just disable all the *.activity-stream.* junk in about:config
Old 06-29-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I try out a lot of stuff on my Firefox Nightly setup, which is what I use for a lot of my casual netsurfing. For stuff I get a good handle on, I'll cut and paste the modifications into my stable FF setup.

For example in the current Nightly builds, there's a really annoying activity stream feature which will eventually show up in the beta and stable FF builds in the future. So I just disable all the *.activity-stream.* junk in about:config
Have you tried those JS Preferences files from Github on the stable version? If so any better benefits?
Old 06-29-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is one. Brave is based on chromium where it uses a Tor client in privacy mode.

It includes lots of standard security functionality, similar to noscript, blocking ads, httpseverywhere, blocking fingerprinting, etc ....

Though in practice if one requires hardcore security, the Tor Browser should be used and not Brave. Brave is good enough if one wants to netsurf casually with a high degree of privacy/anonymity.
I've used Brave and it's fine. However, installing and keeping it up-to-date on Linux is far less straightforward than Firefox is. At least on the flavor of Linux I'm running.
Old 06-30-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Have you tried those JS Preferences files from Github on the stable version? If so any better benefits?
A set of modifications I've moved over to my FF stable setup are:

security.ssl3.rsa_des_ede3_sha false
security.ssl.require_safe_negotiation true
security.tls.version.min 3
security.tls.enable_0rtt_data false
security.ssl.enable_false_start false

A few disable very old encryption algorithms/protocols which are not considered viable anymore.

The one which occasionally breaks is security.tls.version.min where a web site using a very old obsolete tls version is blocked at first by FF. (I have encountered this on web sites which are not maintained very well, such as some web servers at a university/college). In such cases, FF will ask you whether you want to set security.tls.version.min back to its defult of 1.

Here's another web page which discusses some of these ssl + tls tweaks.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...rdening-guide/
Old 06-30-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one which occasionally breaks is security.tls.version.min where a web site using a very old obsolete tls version is blocked at first by FF. (I have encountered this on web sites which are not maintained very well, such as some web servers at a university/college). In such cases, FF will ask you whether you want to set security.tls.version.min back to its defult of 1.
For example, one recent website which I have encountered this is:

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/bost...than-a-feeling

It appears this songfacts page requires security.tls.version.min to be 1 in order to view it through https. The padlock in the FF urlbar will be yellow, where the security status (after clcking on the "i" emoji) will state "This page uses weak encryption."

More generally I'm willing to deal with these occasional breaks, largely to get an idea of how many websites I frequent still use old obsolete protocols/algorithms which are insecure nowadays.
Old 06-30-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

security.ssl3.rsa_des_ede3_sha false
security.ssl.require_safe_negotiation true
security.tls.enable_0rtt_data false
security.ssl.enable_false_start false

A few disable very old encryption algorithms/protocols which are not considered viable anymore.

Here's another web page which discusses some of these ssl + tls tweaks.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.co...rdening-guide/
That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-30-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another batch of modifications I've been looking to moving to my FF stable setup, involves blocking "mixed content" requests where an https page is accessing stuff from non-encrypted http sources.

security.mixed_content.block_display_content true
security.mixed_content.block_object_subrequest true
security.mixed_content.upgrade_display_content true

(In my FF Nightly setup, I'm not using the addon httpseverywhere).

The security.mixed_content.upgrade_display_content true case, will attempt to upgrade an http request within a page to the https version. (For example, such as images).

Here is a concrete example on this particular current page, with security.mixed_content.block_display_content and security.mixed_content.block_object_subrequest both set to true. I noticed when security.mixed_content.upgrade_display_content is set to false, the "wink" and "thumbs up" emojis in Sonic's previous posts will just show an unloaded image icon. These two emojis' links are requested via http only (but not https explicitly) within the page.

When I set security.mixed_content.upgrade_display_content to true, the "wink" and "thumbs up" emojiis in Sonic's previous posts will now show up. The underlying links to these emoji images are now "upgraded" to https requests.

Last edited by morriscroy; 06-30-19 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking of completely switching to a browser like Waterfox, which is an open-source fork of the Mozilla code and plans to maintain legacy support of extensions and the like.

The most common browsers now are basically spy machines, designed to track and document your entire internet behavior for corporate profitability. I've noticed there has been a big push over the last 18 months to thwart users from blocking internet ads across several fronts. There are still ways to defeat ads but it's moving more and more into the realm of power users only.
Old 06-30-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I was 15 or 20+ years younger, I might have went through the trouble of reading through the Firefox or Chromium source code, and figuring out how to custom modify + compile the code so that I had a browser binary which would do things the way I wanted.

Nowadys I'm just too burned out and tired to do anything like this anymore.
Old 06-30-19, 08:52 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I'm thinking of completely switching to a browser like Waterfox, which is an open-source fork of the Mozilla code and plans to maintain legacy support of extensions and the like.
If you decide to use Waterfox, let us know about your experiences. I've been curious about that one myself.
Old 06-30-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I was 15 or 20+ years younger, I might have went through the trouble of reading through the Firefox or Chromium source code, and figuring out how to custom modify + compile the code so that I had a browser binary which would do things the way I wanted.

Nowadys I'm just too burned out and tired to do anything like this anymore.
I'm right there with you. I miss the old days of the internet when ads, captchas, and Javascript were not a part of the experience. Further, I do not like having to go through grand hoops to configure existing browsers the proper way. It's all so much happy horseshit that (enemy) companies force us to deal with -- for their gain. They know the 99% of people won't bother, or even know, how to disable all the bullshit. So, they're ruining and making the browsing experience a very much worse one than it should be, for purely selfish reasons. It's maddening. Fuck Google and their disabling ad blockers. God damn it, I don't need that noise from them. As the clche goes, "It's good to have choices."

I'm also very curious about the Waterfox browser, but haven't yet tried it, either.
Old 07-01-19, 01:31 AM

I like firefox too, it is very cool and easy to navigate with it. It is much better then chrome.
Old 07-01-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I certainly understand the need for advertising, but it's just so damned intrusive that you have to block it these days.

At worst, it's infecting you with trojans or hijacks.

But even if the code isn't mallciious, a lot of tends to be a Javascript nightmare that crashes browsers and slows down webpages. And fuck autoplay videos, too. You're stealing MY bandwidth with that shit.

A few banner ads, in and of themselves, aren't a big deal. But those days are gone, and it is -- at best -- a resource-hogging nightmare for a lot of pages.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.