Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Gaming PC for both Game & Average Use?

Old 08-31-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gaming PC for both Game & Average Use?

Hello Again

I got to chatting with our IT person on PC's, the latest, software, etc...and I asked him at what time is PC hardware need to be replaced or considered outdated. His response was it depends on use but average is like 4-5 years. Well ours is going on 7yrs now.....old AMD Quad Core 9650 with 8gb of DDR-2 RAM.

So I was looking on Amazon just to see what's out there and it seemed like the highest reviews were for Gaming PC's plus in terms of hardware they were better than the factory ones pumped out by Dell and HP. But they also don't have the one PITA stuff....Bloatware.

So I was wondering if I should look for like a entry to mid level Game PC instead of a factory mass produced one with straight out Windows 10 and just add what I like. I'd also like to add another HD with Windows 7 and use that strictly for home use like Office, email and just browsing leaving Windows 10 alone for the most part.

Are there some decent brands to consider and would this work on what I'd like to do? I just need the tower since I already have the monitors, KB , tablet and mouse.
Old 09-01-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Gaming PC for both Game & Average Use?

Honestly, you only need to upgrade your PC if you need to in order to play a certain game or piece of software. Games can always have their settings lowered, but at some point newer games are going to have minimum requirements above what your PC can handle.

You mention CPU and RAM, but what about GPU, aka your graphics card?

Adding Windows 7 on top of Windows 10 is going to be an additional cost. Is there any reason you don't want to just use Windows 10?
Old 09-01-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't see a reason to keep Windows 7 around either, Windows 10 is fine.

As for specialized manufacturers versus something like Dell or HP, I personally don't see much of a difference but if you're focused on gaming the biggest issue would be the graphics card. A lot of the power supplies are on the lower side and the cases often don't fit the size of the higher end graphics cards. If gaming is the focus, any modern i5 or i7 CPU is probably going to be fine, and i'd look for something with at least a GeForce 960 or 1060, unless budget is a concern.
Old 09-02-16, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.pcbuildadvisor.com/asus-m32cd-review/
Old 09-02-16, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

My last 2 computers (gaming) were purchased from IBuyPower .. There's not bloatware and I think their prices are fair. Shipping is good and I lost the rails they shipped with it and I needed some so I called them and they shipped me some more next day.

http://www.ibuypower.com
Old 09-09-16, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm back again because it's like Murphy's Law with our PC which I truly believe is possessed....The moment I started looking it ran flawlessly for a few days but then turned into it's normal stubborn PITA pc....

I went looking around on a few sites but forgot to check ibuypower...thanks for the link by the way.

I did check the site...Cyberpower...and I did like their site with a lot of choices with ready made pcs and probably the most choices I've seen on the "Build Your Own". I also checked Alienware but ever since Dell bought them I feel they might have lost their edge...but their new models do look impressive.

Given the choice though would one look at the AMD or intel chips and which one's. The IT person here I talked to said intel and nothing less than the 5i. I've never had an issue with the AMD but he said the 3i and 5i from intel has a slight advantage and has heard the 7i is even better. Also there is the RAM where the newer models have the DDR4 versus say last years model have DDR3. So I'm still soaking it in, talk to the wife and tell her where we stand which she is aware of just how big the PC has become a PITA. Thanks for the suggestions and tips
Old 09-09-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definitely Intel, AMD really isn't even on the radar these days as far as CPU performance goes and definitely start with an i5 or i7.
Old 09-10-16, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you....

What about RAM....really a big difference with DDR3 and DDR4?

And is there anything on these builds that you need to look for like the MB chipset, video card, etc....?
Old 09-10-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For memory, the difference is big enough that they are not compatible where they can be used together on the same motherboard. But now you're getting into computer building, if that is an option for you. It all begins with the motherboard which has a certain chipset for the processor. The newer generation motherboards are designed for DDR4. Previous generation (and its components) are DDR3, and cheaper comparatively.

And honestly, after building 4 systems so far, 2 Intel processors and 2 AMD, I can honesty say both will suit you just fine should you decide to go the AMD (cheaper) route. I built one that's insanely fast, to the tune of about $1k. The rest averaged between $450-$650.

But if you want to game, you'll need a faster processor, for Intel, you'll need an i5, or preferably i7. For AMD, you'll need an A8 or preferably A10. The newer generation chips run on motherboards that use DDR4 memory.

Last, you will need a dedicated graphics card for gaming. Rather, it's best to get one. Higher end motherboards will usually do fairly well, but most will always need a graphics card if you want it to look great and run smooth. And if you get a system good enough to game, then average use will be fully covered.

Last edited by E Unit; 09-10-16 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-10-16, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tips and insight.....

I really don't have time and all to try and build one. Heck when I did a Dual Boot many years ago....(Xp and Vista), that was nerve wrecking.

One company I've looked at and seems their pcs get high marks is Cyberpower. Each system has lots of choices...even some have 12+ on the cases alone down to fans and lots of MB's as well. Right now this fits the budget and has Windows 10 which we need. It has the Intel 5i, DDR4 and seems like a decent starter video card in the AMD RX 480 4gb and a 600watt power supply.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Syber_M_Core_100

The only thing I'd like to upgrade is adding another HD so I can put the OS on one and rund programs off the other and add 8gigs of memory and have it at 16. Seems you have to have 2x8 for 16gig instead of having four slots. So no use in getting 2x4 and ditch them later. Correct?
Old 09-10-16, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not sure why you keep swapping the characters, but it's i5 (or i7) and not 5i for the CPU name.

For the hard drive, I'd make sure to make the primary drive an SSD since it looks like it's a regular mechanical drive by default. I personally don't care for having the OS on one drive and programs on another, at least not anymore these days since SSD prices have gone down, but that really depends on how much storage you actually need - depending on your budget i'd try to get as big of an SSD as you can afford (256 GB or greater) and have the mechanical drive for misc slow storage like movies, music, or pictures, but that's just me. On my home system, a 500 GB SSD has been plenty for Windows, random applications, and enough games to keep installed at one time.

For RAM, i'm not sure what you're asking. Looks like you can do 4 x 4 or 2 x 8, but if they're the same price like it appears on that site then yeah, you might as well pick the 2 x 8 option in case you ever need to add more RAM down the line (seems unlikely now, but I guess you never know).
Old 09-11-16, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well...in the "Old Day"....the school of thought and efficiency was has the OS on a single smaller drive while all programs were on a separate drive. But you also tried to divide your partitions according to the amount and size of the disc platters. The OS (Windows 98 & XP) were far smaller so many would get say a 80-120gig drive and then get a 500 or 750 which were huge back then and do 2-3 partitions on it for everything else

On the RAM I thought I saw some of the MB's listed only have two slots and not the customary (4) slots for RAM...maybe I'm wrong. So it was like no sense of getting (8 RAM)...2x4...and later toss the two in favor of 2x8.....

I then was trying to get my head around the difference of the MB along with the Video Card which in itself can be trying. It's like 24 choices on the MB alone from Asus, Gigabyte and MSI and I've really never understood specs and what to look for in a MB.

For the Video card many offer the AMD Radeon RX460, 470 or 480. However...some have the newer lines of the GTX 1060...again my head was swimming with specs....

Some of the configurations from Cyberpower, iBuypower and so one did show the dual HDs as "SSD + 1TB"....is that with the OS on the SSD or vice-versa using the SSD primarily for the game data?

I would honestly try building one but when I look at the individual components along with Windows (we could live with in 7 or 8 easily) the savings seem to amount around 15-18%...maybe I'm wrong again. I just wouldn't know where to start and literally need a "Dummies Guide To Building Your Own PC".

Again..this is what I would call a "Hybrid PC"....game and casual use with Windows. The wife does use Word, Excell while I use some Photo, Music and Game. Thanks again.....
Old 09-11-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Having 2 separate hard drives hardly ever means putting an OS on one and programs on another. And really, I've never seen a reason to ever do that, as it's never been an issue for me. And since Windows 10 is the prominent PC OS that's supported, 7 and 8 are going to be losing support by Microsoft, so I would definitely let go of wanting to keep either one. But in regard to using SSD, always use that for the OS. It's way faster on the boot up.

But building a PC is cheaper and you get a much greater bang for the buck, but only if you have the patience for it and be prepared to troubleshoot potential startup issues. There are several good sites like PC World, Tom's Hardware, and even YouTube that lay out step by step instructions.

Oh, and in regard to the video card, just look for what you want in terms of resolution. 4K? How many video outputs? HDMI or old school monitor cable? The MB as you can tell equal higher price. But nice been using 512MB and 1 gig, and it runs everything just fine, from video to games.

Last edited by E Unit; 09-11-16 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones View Post
Well...in the "Old Day"....the school of thought and efficiency was has the OS on a single smaller drive while all programs were on a separate drive. But you also tried to divide your partitions according to the amount and size of the disc platters. The OS (Windows 98 & XP) were far smaller so many would get say a 80-120gig drive and then get a 500 or 750 which were huge back then and do 2-3 partitions on it for everything else

On the RAM I thought I saw some of the MB's listed only have two slots and not the customary (4) slots for RAM...maybe I'm wrong. So it was like no sense of getting (8 RAM)...2x4...and later toss the two in favor of 2x8.....

I then was trying to get my head around the difference of the MB along with the Video Card which in itself can be trying. It's like 24 choices on the MB alone from Asus, Gigabyte and MSI and I've really never understood specs and what to look for in a MB.

For the Video card many offer the AMD Radeon RX460, 470 or 480. However...some have the newer lines of the GTX 1060...again my head was swimming with specs....

Some of the configurations from Cyberpower, iBuypower and so one did show the dual HDs as "SSD + 1TB"....is that with the OS on the SSD or vice-versa using the SSD primarily for the game data?

I would honestly try building one but when I look at the individual components along with Windows (we could live with in 7 or 8 easily) the savings seem to amount around 15-18%...maybe I'm wrong again. I just wouldn't know where to start and literally need a "Dummies Guide To Building Your Own PC".

Again..this is what I would call a "Hybrid PC"....game and casual use with Windows. The wife does use Word, Excell while I use some Photo, Music and Game. Thanks again.....
Not sure what kind of motherboard you looked at. Many motherboard have at least 4 slots for memory.

If you're going build-your-own routine, you have to get right motherboard for CPU because of socket size. There are several different socket sizes out there such as LGA 1150, LGA 1151, LGA 2011, and goes on.

SSD is not primary for gaming. Many people used SSD as primary hard drive and HD as secondary hard drive. On my "iRacing" PC, I have 250GB SSD and 500GB hard drive on PC. I used SSD for Windows and software that I have to use for peripherals (steering wheel, pedals, etc...) and HD for iRacing software, screenshots, video capture software, etc...

I also have "Hybrid PC" as I'm using right now. It's Intel i7 with gaming-level components (gaming motherboard, gaming memory, liquid cooling, GTX 980ti, and huge tower). I'm using it as my "daily" use plus gaming.

If you don't feel like building it on your own, you can look at Main Performance PC. He build all gaming PCs and his customer service is top notch. I know him through iRacing. Up to you.
Old 09-11-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

As someone that's been building computers for some time, including the "old days" that you referenced, I don't recall the hard drive configuration that you mention being the common thing at all. If anything, I partitioned larger drives mostly to mimic the modern set up where the OS/Applications/Games would be on one partition, with misc storage on the other mostly so that the OS partition could be formmated easily if needed (for those regular Windows "fresh" reinstalls), with like I said having the other partition for misc slow storage like music, movies, and pictures.

Motherboards can get pretty crazy, but I think most modern motherboards are going to have a pretty basic set of features as far as USB ports, number of PCI slots, SATA ports, RAM slots, etc. The differences are usually things like dual 16X PCI-E slots for SLI/Crossfire video card configs, upgraded sound, built in WiFi, additional ports like USB-C or Thunderbolt, etc. I've never spent more then $150 or so on a motherboard, whereas others buy $300 ones.

OS should definitely be on an SSD. It's the fastest and most significant increase in speed that a user can notice over a regular mechnical hard drive. I disagree with McHawkson, I use SSDs for gaming because it helps with load tiems significantly, but a lot of that depends on having a large enough drive. I can see keeping games on a different drive if you only have a 256 GB or smaller drive though and you have a few large games to install. Although like I said, depends on your budget.

For comparing graphics cards, plenty of good review sites to see which one performs best to help you out. I like Anandtech.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU16/1489

At the end of the day though, it's your PC. Configure it the way you want and that makes you comfortable

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-11-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are there some decent brands to consider and would this work on what I'd like to do? I just need the tower since I already have the monitors, KB , tablet and mouse.
Try building your own. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 09-12-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went in and sort of complied a quick list of parts with some various parts all over....

5i Intel CPU 6500k 3.20 LGA 1151 - $203
MB from MSI or Gigibyte - $120-$140
NZXT Phantom Case - $94
CPU Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212 - $27
Kingston HyperX Fury RAM 16gig - $87
AMD Radeon 480 4GB or CTX 1060 3GB video Card - $200-$220
Windows 10 OEM - $92
Lite-On DVD/RW Drive - $24 (We need this for other apps, video, photo or the wife's stuff)
WD Blue 1TB HD - $53
Crucial MX300 275gb SSD (for Windows) - $80

That puts me close to $1000 which is right at the PC I'm looking at Cyberpower.

They have a deal going on today but I honestly don't know what or how these work....A Free 128 M.2 Scandisk SSD . So just how do these work in the configuration of normal HD's, both SSD and mechanical?
Old 09-12-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm not sure why you keep swapping the characters, but it's i5 (or i7) and not 5i for the CPU name.

They have a deal going on today but I honestly don't know what or how these work....A Free 128 M.2 Scandisk SSD . So just how do these work in the configuration of normal HD's, both SSD and mechanical?
It's just another type of slot, it would work the same way as a SATA port with any other hard drive.
Old 09-12-16, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
It's just another type of slot, it would work the same way as a SATA port with any other hard drive.
There are a few differences. For one, M.2 cards are smaller than the 2.5" or 3.5" drive sizes of SATA SSDs or HDDs. Also, due to their size and the type of slot, they tend to attach and lie directly on the motherboard, instead of using a cable.

The main thing is to make sure the motherboard has a compatible slot. Also, M.2 SSDs can either use the SATA protocol or PCIe protocol, and it can vary on whether the motherboard slot supports one or the other, or both.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

I'd imagine Cyberpower would give you the device that works with the PC you buy from them.
Old 09-12-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks...I sort of looked real fast like on the M.2 Wiki to get an idea just what this is. Seems it can actually be the "Boot Drive". And I looked at the particular custom configuration on the Cyberpower site and the board does show a M.2 Slot. I would assume even at just 128gb that that is enough for Windows 10. If that is so I can just grab a 1 TB WD Blue for normal apps & programs and not add another SSD 2.5

Seems like every time I turn around some new part, piece or term is in the mix I didn't even know about. Thanks again for the insight on that.
Old 09-12-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My comment = bold fonts.

I went in and sort of complied a quick list of parts with some various parts all over....

MB from MSI or Gigibyte - $120-$140 - [b]Try to look into MSI's M series which is gaming motherboard)
NZXT Phantom Case - $94
CPU Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212 - $27
Kingston HyperX Fury RAM 16gig - $87
AMD Radeon RX480 4GB or CTX 1060 3GB video Card - $200-$220 - What the fuck is "CTX"?????? Do you mean GTX 1060?
Windows 10 OEM - $92
Lite-On DVD/RW Drive - $24 (We need this for other apps, video, photo or the wife's stuff)
WD Blue 1TB HD - $53
Crucial MX300 275gb SSD (for Windows) - $80

That puts me close to $1000 which is right at the PC I'm looking at Cyberpower.

They have a deal going on today but I honestly don't know what or how these work....A Free 128 M.2 Scandisk SSD. So just how do these work in the configuration of normal HD's, both SSD and mechanical?
Old 09-12-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

GTX 1060.....my typing is not the best and I was in a rush...

That said I can go with the "economic" choices between the AMD RX 480 4gb or GTX 1060 3gb

....or try and splurge a bit eitherthe AMD RX 480 8gb or GTX 1060 6gb...either adds like $80-$85 to the build from Cyberpower.
Old 09-12-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, okay.

Really, 3GB and 4GB video cards are good enough for gaming. I'm running triple screens using 4GB memory on AMD card.
Old 09-12-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks....Is the newer GTX 1060 3GB a slight bit better than the AMD RX 480 4GB? They are offering a Free upgrade from the RX 470 to the 480. I look at it later on down the road I might slap in a dual card setup since the ones I'm looking at support Sli...but this is way, way later on.
Old 09-12-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to iRacing.com members (I looked in their recommendations) they both are good cards. One member said GTX 1060 is about an equal to GTX 980. iRacing members are pretty good with customizing their own PCs.

If it's up to me, I probably will get RX 480. Why? Because it's DX12 ready card and GTX 1060 is not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co..._vs_rx_480470/

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.