DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-10-16, 06:02 PM   #1
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Weird PC power problem - Trouble rebooting / powering on after shutdown.

So here's the deal:
I built a PC a few months back. All went fairly well.

Typically, after using it, I turn off the monitor and walk away. After some time, the PC goes int sleep mode. From this state, it powers up without a problem when I tap the keyboard or move the mouse. All good. Every time.

BUT, when the PC us running, and I need to reboot (Whether it's for a Windows update or just for the sake of rebooting) or do a full shut down, it'll go through the process as you would expect, shutting down Windows, but when it's time for it to actually reboot... nothing. It'll keep attempting to reboot, but it's like there's not enough juice to turn on.

What I mean is, the fans will spin for half a second, and the power LED flickers for half a second, then it all shuts down, then it repeats that, over and over.

The only way for me to get it working again is to shut off the power supply (switch in the back), wait 2 to 10 seconds, turn on the power supply and hit the power button. When I do that, it boots up no problem, like nothing was wrong at all.

So... what gives?
Faulty power supply? A short somewhere?

It's more of a nuisance than anything else.
Old 08-11-16, 01:41 AM   #2

Re: Weird PC power problem - Trouble rebooting / powering on after shutdown.

Check the usual suspects first. Reseat memory, check that video card, power cables and other cables are seated properly. It could be the power supply. The best way to test would be try a known working one that is good quality and high enough wattage.

Also try disconnecting non essential devices such as the dvd drive etc. If your board has built in video you can also try temporary removing the video card and using the built in video and see if it works that way. Also try http://www.memtest86.com/ to check for bad memory. Also Remove all the memory than try one stick at a time (if its enough for windows to run) You can also try http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ to check temps and voltages.

If none of that is the problem it might be the board or possibly something else I'm not thinking of right now. I have never saw a machine do this. I have seen plenty that did not want to come on though
Old 08-12-16, 02:32 AM   #3
DVD Talk Ruler

I once saw something similar to this when I was diagnosing a pc and whoever put the motherboard in screwed it down to the case directly without using standoffs. This was causing a short and the PC worked but initial boots and reboots were an interesting adventure. The PC would also come on for a second or so after shutdown. Shutting off power to the power supply in the back would relieve the issue because it cut the standby voltage to the motherboard which reset things.

Not saying that's the case here but it's the closest I've seen.
Old 08-14-16, 11:16 AM   #4
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Both of you may be on to something.

I built the PC myself, and while I know I was very cautious about doing everything RIGHT (I definitely used the mounting standoffs, for example), I may have screwed it up somewhere along the way (It was my first PC build in quite a few years...). This means I'll have to take it all apart again...

I'm not in a rush to do it, but I'll get to it. Like I said, it's more of a minor annoyance, but I'd like to get it fixed.

If there are any other suggestions, bring 'em on.
Old 06-16-17, 01:50 PM   #5
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Sort of an update to this.
The first thing is... I never bothered to troubleshoot it beyond what I wrote here. I know... I'm terrible. I just avoided it by never rebooting unless absolutely necessary, and just using sleep mode since it could recover from that without a problem.

But the other day, something changed. Windows installed an update, and when it rebooted, it absolutely wouldn't power back on. I did the same thing as before... shut off the PSU switch, waited, turned it on... nothing. So I figured the PSU was dead, and bought another one.

Installing the new PSU... didn't help. Same thing! So, to troubleshoot, with the new PSU only, I started removing components, one at a time, seeing when it would power on properly. Still nothing.
All the way up until I removed the 4+4 CPU cable plugged into the EATX12V port on the motherboard. When THAT was disconnected, the motherboard would power on and stay on, but the fans wouldn't run. Plugged in... nothing. So I thought... shit... either that port on the motherboard is faulty, or the CPU itself is dying.

But here's where it gets a bit more interesting...
The new PSU I bought is modular, so you can plug in just the cables you need. The previous one was like that too, I guess. Anyway, I noticed that there was a "CPU2" port on there, so I found the cable for this in the box. I plugged one end into the CPU2 port on the PSU, and the other end into the EATX12V port on the motherboard. Success! Everything powered on and stayed on. I plugged in each component, testing it every time, and it would boot up as expected.

I'm tempted to try putting the previous PSU back in it, and using its CPU2 port, to see if that works, so I can return the one I bought.

It's just such a strange thing... both PSUs... both using the built in CPU cable plugged into the EATX12V port... both wouldn't power on the computer. But using the CPU2 cable plugged in, at least on the new PSU, worked like a charm. I can't think of any explanation of why it would be this way. Surely, I can't have two PSUs that both have faulty CPU cables.

Anyway... just thought I'd share.
Old 06-16-17, 04:20 PM   #6
DVD Talk Special Edition

Turn off Windows fast boot. Probably not the problem but it sometimes makes things act weird with restarts and reboots.
Old 10-04-17, 09:27 PM   #7
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Final update: The last update lasted like a day or two, then it started doing the same shit every single time I shut it down, or every time there was a Windows update.

Turns out, it was the fucking motherboard. All this time. I just replaced it and the PC works better than it ever has.