Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 09-16-14, 10:53 PM
Banned by request

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

That would explain why the Google Wallet card is a Mastercard. By the way, that card is free to acquire and you can adjust your account for Wallet using mobile apps. If you have an Android phone with NFC, Wallet also supports NFC payments. Apple just announced that for now at least the NFC on their phones will be limited to Apple Pay, so the card will be necessary if you want Wallet and have an iPhone (but it also useful as a backup since plenty of places that take credit cards don't take NFC).

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-16-14 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 01:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

To answer the original question: no wrist-watch that does more than tell time & date is required by me. Ever.
Old 09-17-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by benedict View Post
To answer the original question: no wrist-watch that does more than tell time & date is required by me. Ever.
Interesting that you consider aWatch a "wrist watch". I honestly never thought of a "smart watch" as a wrist watch.

But I guess similar to people that think no phone that does more than make a phone call is required by them.
Old 09-18-14, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There are articles popping up that the more expensive versions of the aWatch could be significantly more than the base $349 Sport version,

http://www.businessinsider.com/josh-...e-grand-2014-9

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspen...usand-dollars/

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_watch_...-news-9677.php

If so, this would be a change in business model from their iPods and iPhones where typically only a "few more dollars" got you the nicer version. But then outside the recent 5c and 5s it has been rare to see their products differ in construction material.

Still, while I'll be all over the Sport version as $349 is a fantastic price for what it does, I'd never dream of paying a grand for a steel version or $5,000 for the gold (if these rumors are true).
Old 09-18-14, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
There are articles popping up that the more expensive versions of the aWatch could be significantly more than the base $349 Sport version,

If so, this would be a change in business model from their iPods and iPhones where typically only a "few more dollars" got you the nicer version. But then outside the recent 5c and 5s it has been rare to see their products differ in construction material.

Still, while I'll be all over the Sport version as $349 is a fantastic price for what it does, I'd never dream of paying a grand for a steel version or $5,000 for the gold (if these rumors are true).
If they had ever made a solid-gold iPhone you better believe it would be more than $299. I'm not sure why this is so surprising.
Old 09-18-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
If they had ever made a solid-gold iPhone you better believe it would be more than $299. I'm not sure why this is so surprising.
Well first, no iPhone has been $299 that I'm aware of. That is the subsidized price. Which again, can be "deceiving" to the consumer since the aWatch will not be subsidized.

Second, they never did make a gold iPhone. So a "if they ever" never did apply.

Lastly, during the big announcement they said "starting at $349". Your really going to tell me the majority of people thought higher end models could be a grand and the gold $5,000.

I'm getting an aWatch. I love what I will so for me. I've had iPhone since the 3G. And I'm surprised the high end model of the aWatch would be that much more than the base model.
Old 09-18-14, 10:42 AM

5S $4200+
http://www.goldgenie.com/us/gold-iph...elite_logo.php
6s available in various Gulf State models
http://www.goldgenie.com/us/iphone-6...ulf-states.php
All iPhones come with Clear-Coat full body protection.

And Tag Heuer announces smart watch
http://www.pcworld.com/article/26072...martwatch.html
Old 09-18-14, 10:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I love that all three of the articles you posted are using the exact same single source for this speculation. One link would have sufficed.

Still, Gruber is likely right. The watch is jewellery first, and a functional piece of electronics second. It was pretty clear from the way they announced it and talked about it. Sure, most people will buy the $349 and $449 cheap-o versions just to have it, but those who buy it as jewellery (rich executives, celebrities, etc.) will throw down $3k to $5k for the solid gold or whatever versions in a heartbeat. Then there will eventually be diamond-encrusted versions, and who knows what else. Third parties have made a killing selling modded iPhones with gold and/or diamonds. Apple knows this and is just bringing that kind of revenue into their own product lines, starting with the watch.
Old 09-18-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

$5K for a watch? Peanuts.

Go check out Patak Philippe...
Old 09-18-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
$5K for a watch? Peanuts.

Go check out Patak Philippe...
Yeah but those aren't made in China. lol
Old 09-18-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Yeah but those aren't made in China. lol
Let's not all act surprised if someone actually does release a $100K iWatch, yes?
Old 09-18-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I agree. They're coming. I won't be buying any version at any price but I don't doubt that we'll see "luxury" smart watches. Tag Heuer is already working on one.
Old 09-18-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well first, no iPhone has been $299 that I'm aware of. That is the subsidized price. Which again, can be "deceiving" to the consumer since the aWatch will not be subsidized.

Second, they never did make a gold iPhone. So a "if they ever" never did apply.

Lastly, during the big announcement they said "starting at $349". Your really going to tell me the majority of people thought higher end models could be a grand and the gold $5,000.

I'm getting an aWatch. I love what I will so for me. I've had iPhone since the 3G. And I'm surprised the high end model of the aWatch would be that much more than the base model.
Okay? My point was simply that gold is expensive.
Old 09-18-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I love that all three of the articles you posted are using the exact same single source for this speculation. One link would have sufficed.

Still, Gruber is likely right. The watch is jewellery first, and a functional piece of electronics second. It was pretty clear from the way they announced it and talked about it. Sure, most people will buy the $349 and $449 cheap-o versions just to have it, but those who buy it as jewellery (rich executives, celebrities, etc.) will throw down $3k to $5k for the solid gold or whatever versions in a heartbeat. Then there will eventually be diamond-encrusted versions, and who knows what else. Third parties have made a killing selling modded iPhones with gold and/or diamonds. Apple knows this and is just bringing that kind of revenue into their own product lines, starting with the watch.
Yes, I realize they are all pretty much the same source. And the source could be wrong.

This isn't a 3rd party, this is Apple.

Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Let's not all act surprised if someone actually does release a $100K iWatch, yes?
Nope, I wouldn't. But I would be surprised if Apple did. Based on their prior business model.

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Okay? My point was simply that gold is expensive.
Yes. That was the point of the article. But, again, you are telling me people that have heard about the aWatch expect there to be a $5,000 (or more) version? From Apple? Using your example, when has Apple released a significantly more expense version of an iPhone? Or iPad? I certainly did not expect Apple selling a $5,000 version of it. Until I read it.

I immediately focused on the Sort version not because of cost (I actually thought it would be a middle version for cost). But because it is lighter and more durable.
I'm getting one mainly for the fitness and to run with (instead go a GPS watch).
Old 09-18-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is aWatch really a thing now?

I saw someone post a comment on a site somewhere that it's weird that iWatch, iTouch, and iPad 3 aren't actually names of products but commonly used.
Old 09-18-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Is aWatch really a thing now?

I saw someone post a comment on a site somewhere that it's weird that iWatch, iTouch, and iPad 3 aren't actually names of products but commonly used.
It's shorter than typing Apple Watch and it's not called an iWatch and we can't just call it "Watch". So here we are.
Old 09-18-14, 01:47 PM
Banned by request

When they said starting at $349, that sort of thing is exactly what I expected. Other Apple devices have all the same manufacturing materials, they differ only in internal storage. It's easy to keep prices within a certain range when you're only making one component selectable. The computers obviously have more customizable options, but they're still all in the same shell.

That being said, I would be very sad if the main line Apple Watch (i.e. not the sport or the gold) started at a grand. I would guess the type of band you choose will affect the price, but if there's no version beyond the sport for less than a thousand, that's a fail. Despite the health tracking elements of the watch, I think a lot of people would want it for more than just a running aid. I can buy a watch for $150 that looks higher end than the sport because the sport's band and finish make it look cheap. It's great for running, because it looks like a lot of other fitness trackers and that band is likely more amenable for frequent activity, but for people who want to use the watch as their main watch throughout the day, it looks ridiculous. I wouldn't wear the sport to a business meeting.

Even if Apple is positioning this as a status symbol, most people don't have $500 watches, let alone ones that cost over a grand. They could start the steel watches at $500 and go up from there depending on the band. That would be reasonable.

As for the gold, who gives a shit how expensive those are? If you're looking for a solid gold Apple product, expect to pay a hefty premium.
Old 09-18-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good points. I'll absolutely wear the Sport to meetings and work (I plan on getting the space gray). Not w/one of the plastic bands though. I imagine I'd quickly collect 3-4 bands. I'll get the black plastic and black metal link bands to start.

My current watch is Michael Kors. Why? Cheap enough (yet stylish) that I can have several (I have four). I match to outfits and what I'm doing. Yet I carry a cheap plastic watch in my gym bag for workouts. I could see having a plastic aWatch band in my gym bag to change if needed or appropriate.

I can see doing the same w/bands on the aWatch.

The biggest problem I have with the higher cost, is that you know they will improve the aWatch and in 2-4 years you will want the current version. It will be thinner, better battery, do more, etc.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-18-14 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-18-14, 02:42 PM
Banned by request

Are we sure the non-sport bands will work on the sport model?
Old 09-18-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, I don't understand the complaint about the watch prices. Unless the band is gold plated, how could it not run you a much higher price?
Old 09-18-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
There are some pictures on Apple's site of the sports bands being used with the Sport and Edition models, and the "modern buckle" strap used with both Edition and regular, so I'm guessing the bands are compatible across all of the models.
Old 09-18-14, 04:32 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by flagstone View Post
There are some pictures on Apple's site of the sports bands being used with the Sport and Edition models, and the "modern buckle" strap used with both Edition and regular, so I'm guessing the bands are compatible across all of the models.
Well that would make things easier. I don't like the brushed aluminum look of the sport edition, but the band is really what makes it look like a toy. Replacing it with one of the regular edition bands would help it immensely.
Old 09-18-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe not 100% but I'm 99% sure.

Originally Posted by flagstone View Post
That is what I saw. And I read a general explanation about changing bands and never made a difference along the lines of watches.

Well that would make things easier. I don't like the brushed aluminum look of the sport edition, but the band is really what makes it look like a toy. Replacing it with one of the regular edition bands would help it immensely.
Well, I wouldn't agree it makes it look like a toy, but it does make it look extremely casual, sporty. But not only am I pretty darn sure you can use the other bands, but you know without a doubt there will be third party companies making bands.

I don't like the silver, but the gray is sharp. And can dress up w/a black metal band.
Old 09-18-14, 06:05 PM
Banned by request

I didn't even think about third party bands, good call.
Old 09-18-14, 06:07 PM
Banned by request

Here's the other question: What's the refresh cycle on these going to be? Yearly? How often do they expect people to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars? I know that their computers generally get yearly refreshes, but the expectation is that people will keep their computers for years, and a Macbook Pro from 2010 can basically do whatever a Macbook Pro in 2014 can do. With mobile devices, the refresh expectation is about two years, and the iPhone 4 is missing a lot of capabilities from the 5S, let alone the 6.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.