Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will you be getting iWatch?

Old 02-17-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Will you be getting iWatch?

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I do realize that your opinion is just an opinion. What pisses me off isn't that I'm an Apple fan and you've offended the great Apple, but that your argument rests on the idea that people are buying things "blindly" and that you, the educated consumer, don't. People very rarely buy things blindly. You don't have any special insight here. The people who decide to buy the Apple Watch will do so because they find it of value to them. You have decided it's not of value to you, so you won't buy it. But that doesn't make the people who do buy it stupid, or blind, or "sheep". It's such a dumb, simplistic argument and it does piss me off.

I think that buying an expensive sports car that guzzles gas is silly, because I value fuel economy and don't need my car to turn on a dime and go from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. But that doesn't make someone who buys a sports car DUMB, it just means they have different priorities when buying a car than I do. You, on the other hand, are operating from the assumption that if something is useless to you, then anyone who buys it is an idiot. You even asked Sdallnct if the reason he keeps defending the Apple watch is because he knows it's a bad value but he's trying to defend his purchase anyway. No, he's defending it because he believes it's a good value! There's a huge difference there.

I don't care if you buy an Apple watch, an Android watch, a Pebble, a Michael Kohrs, a Rolex, or get a sundial grafted to your wrist. However, your continual condescending tone is annoying as fuck.
I really dont care that my opinion pisses you off. I am entitled to it, just as much as you are. Your repeated claim that there aren't people that buy Apple products blindly, simply because they are made by Apple, is ignorant as fuck. You're the only one here that has referred to someof these people as "dumb" or an "idiot".
OP asked for our opinions, and I gave it. Some people didn't like it and have objected to it. You included. I for one, find your blind defense of Apple and its products annoying as fuck.
Old 02-17-15, 01:27 PM
Banned by request

In this case I am overjoyed to have pissed you off so badly. And since you continue to misrepresent my position, either you have reading comprehension problems or you're just trolling. In either case I can disregard you and your needlessly antagonistic posts.
Old 02-17-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I've been very clear. But you assume (wrongly) that anyone that like Apple Watch is a fanboy because YOU think that..
So now you are speaking for me. Gotcha. I never said nor assumed anything of the sort.

I made a list and even posted of non-Apple alternatives. These are good, well reviewed, products. You also think they are "not of value". Again, get it. You see no value in a GPS running watch. I get that. And you are free to think that. But to dismiss it as "not of value" is silly. .
When did I dismiss the cheaper alternatives as "not of value"? Again, please stop putting words in my mouth. The cheaper alternatives are a lot more value than the iWatch, but still of little value.

Again, I'm not defending aWatch. .
Again, you most definitely are.

But other the "it's redundent" argument you have not given a reason why it is not a good value. I keep asking and you keep saying "redundant". Which again is nothing to do with Apple. I even asked what more would would the watch have to do (any smart watch) without the phone for you to think of value. And you don't answer. I asked what does the same as Apple Watch for less money. And you give the smart ass answer of "not my job"..
This thread is about the iWatch. I do not know what other watch out there does the same stuff as an iWatch. What I do know is what the iWatch reportedly does. And it isnt enough, in my opinion to warrant the price tag. In fact everything that it can do, is already accomplished by another device that oyu must carry for the iWatch to do what they claim it can. I'm starting to think that you dont know the definition of redundant.

What is ironic about those that think there are a bunch of "blind" Apple fanboys is that those making the claim are exactly the same. They "blindly" hate on a product for no real reason.

I've done my research on aWatch. I know the benefits. I've done my research on mulitiple alternatives. I know what they offer. I've inventoried what I want and will use and what I have used. .
So you object when you think, incorrectly, someone is saying you are buying this blindly, yet think nothing of using that same terminology on the other side. And it is simply not true. I've done my research on iWatch. I know the benefits, what few of them there are.

See you offered something useful early on. You mentioned running with your phone on your forearm. I tried that. Did not like. I had several issues doing that.

But since you have just spent time slamming a product when it is the catagory you don't like. .
You seem to use the term "like" and "value" interchangably. I find little value in the category, but there is some value there.

I mentioned that I wish aWatch had built in GPS. But since I never go anywhere without my phone, I don't think a deal breaker. Yet as I mentioned it will register a run without iPhone. It will register the movement. .
Oh, it can actually do that without a phone? So will a fitness tracker, which you already have.

You dismissed my wearing a watch, fitness tracker and running watch example. Yet those are HUGE markets. And Apple is smartly taking advantage of that.
How did I dismiss that? By saying you were replacing redundant tech with more redundant tech? Again, you should look up the definition of redundant.
Old 02-17-15, 02:40 PM
Banned by request

Intersting,

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/16/...alth-features/

Looks like aWatch was originally going to do even more with regards to health. Also interesting that there is a somewhat fine line they may have to run with the Food and Drug administration. I'm wondering if even the feature of telling you when you have been sitting too long needed approval.

The other huge deal is HIPPA regulation which include strict privacy regulations with regards to health information. So for example, consideration had to be given and accountability has to be considered if iCloud is storing a person's health information. Or this is put on the health app where it can be emailed to your Dr. I'm sure Apple has the resources to navigate through these regulations. But probably something they didn't have to consider before.

My new Dr asked me if I wanted access to a "portal" where I could see my information, latest blood work, set or check appointment, etc. I said sure, but then had to check off and sign a pretty big and detailed form and disclaimer.
Anyway, I like that Apple is thinking further ahead than a lot of current smartwatch manufacturers, but it also seems clear that wrist-based medical technologies still have a long way to go before being mature.
Old 02-17-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-17-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In this case I am overjoyed to have pissed you off so badly. And since you continue to misrepresent my position, either you have reading comprehension problems or you're just trolling. In either case I can disregard you and your needlessly antagonistic posts.
Speaking of reading comprehension, you should invest in some. As , from this response, it is clear that you are unable to understand what I have written. I really couldn't give two shits about you or your "my opinion is more valid than mine" posts.
Old 02-17-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyway, I like that Apple is thinking further ahead than a lot of current smartwatch manufacturers, but it also seems clear that wrist-based medical technologies still have a long way to go before being mature.
Well that is what Apple does exceptionally well. They may not have invented the MP3 player, but they made it the most useful, integrated. Same with the smartphone (I realize there are some exceptional Android/Windows phones as well. My point was Apple didn't invent the smartphone, but they put on the map ease of use and integration). And now, same with the smartwatch.

More to your point, I showed my Dr all the info that Health app was collecting. I then asked if she wanted that info for my file. She was truly amazed and is now looking into it. I know Google/Microsoft have something similar.

But that is the true new frontier. How to integrate all sorts of stuff. For example, I would never buy a GPS running watch that didn't wirelessly updat to my phone/iPad. We are moving well beyond collecting "stuff". And now how to seamlessly take advantage of it. How to make it useful without a lot of work.

I'm excited as hell to be ditching my Nike Fuelband. It needs regular updates that can ONLY happen when hard wired to my laptop.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-17-15 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-17-15, 03:51 PM
Banned by request

I'm also interested in the successor to the Microsoft Band (if Microsoft actually makes one), because I think that may be more in line with what I want from a wearable than something that directly replaces my watch.

I know the Band CAN replace a watch, but it's not really designed to mimic a traditional watch, and can be worn in addition to a watch without looking odd, as it would be if I wore a mechanical watch on one wrist and an Apple Watch on the other.
Old 02-17-15, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm also interested in the successor to the Microsoft Band (if Microsoft actually makes one), because I think that may be more in line with what I want from a wearable than something that directly replaces my watch.

I know the Band CAN replace a watch, but it's not really designed to mimic a traditional watch, and can be worn in addition to a watch without looking odd, as it would be if I wore a mechanical watch on one wrist and an Apple Watch on the other.
Yup, I didn't list that as one of my options. But it has a nice feature set.

I have like 5 Michael Kors watches to mix and match with situation and what I'm wearing. But I "suspect" I can change up Apple Watch face and bands enough to have similar effect. Will see how it actually happens in real life.

But that is exactly my point w/the Fitbit Surge. So odd looking.
Old 02-17-15, 05:26 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Speculation about features available on the Apple Watch. Sorry it's a long article, but it has a lot of interesting information.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/challeng...ose-1424133615

What Exactly Is an Apple Watch For?
Envisioned as a health monitor, Apple Watch provides data, communicates in new ways

By DAISUKE WAKABAYASHI
Feb. 16, 2015 7:40 p.m. ET

When Apple Inc. started developing its smartwatch, executives envisioned a state-of-the-art health-monitoring device that could measure blood pressure, heart activity and stress levels, among other things, according to people familiar with the matter.

But none of those technologies made it into the much-anticipated Apple Watch, due in April. Some didn’t work reliably. Others proved too complex. And still others could have prompted unwanted regulatory oversight, these people said.

That left Apple executives struggling to define the purpose of the smartwatch and wrestling with why a consumer would need or want such a device. Their answer, for now, is a little bit of everything: displaying a fashion accessory; glancing at information nuggets more easily than reaching for a phone; buying with Apple Pay; communicating in new ways through remote taps, swapped heartbeats or drawings; and tracking daily activity.

Apple declined to comment.

“One of the biggest surprises people are going to have when they start using it is the breadth of what it will do,” Mr. Cook said last week at an investor conference.

Even as Apple amasses record profit from the iPhone, Apple Watch is a big bet, offering a potential new growth driver that could ease Apple’s dependence on smartphones. For Mr. Cook, it’s also a chance to prove that Apple can still produce the types of breakthrough products that defined the company under his predecessor, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.

Apple Watch faces significant challenges. The device needs to be close to an iPhone to have wireless connectivity or gather global-positioning-system location information. This makes the watch an accessory to a device that already performs most tasks well.

It also straddles the line between jewelry and consumer electronics, creating different types of expectations from consumers about quality, obsolescence and the buying experience.

To cover that landscape, Apple plans a range of watches at different prices, starting at $349. The high-end models, with 18-karat gold casing, are expected to be among the most expensive products Apple has ever made, likely surpassing the $4,000 high-end Mac Pro.

Marketing the Apple Watch won’t be as simple as marketing past Apple products. The iPod was a way to carry a music collection in your pocket. The iPhone was a mobile phone plus Internet device, with a revolutionary touch screen. Apple sold the iPad as a simpler way to browse the Web, view photos and watch videos.

Still, analysts expect Apple’s brand appeal and the company’s loyal customers to make Apple Watch the most successful wearable device on the market.

Apple is gearing up for a strong start. People familiar with the matter said the company is asking suppliers in Asia to make five million to six million Apple Watches in the first quarter.

One of those people said half of the first-quarter output would be for the entry-level Apple Watch Sports and one-third for the mid-tier model, which has stainless-steel casing and a watch face covered by sapphire crystal.

The total would be on par with Apple’s last major all-new product. Apple sold 7.5 million iPads in the six months after they went on sale in April 2010.

But such output would far outpace the production of wearable devices from Samsung Electronics Co., LG Electronics, Sony Corp., Motorola Mobility and a host of fitness trackers. Research firm Canalys said last week that just 720,000 smartwatches powered by Android Wear, Google Inc. ’s operating system for wearable devices, shipped in the last six months of 2014.

ABI Research estimates that Apple will sell 11.8 million Apple Watches in 2015, accounting for nearly half of all wearable devices, including fitness trackers and non-Android smartwatches.

“People have left the door open for Apple. The others haven’t done a great job here yet,” said Nick Spencer, an analyst at ABI Research.

Apple’s ability to lure millions of users to a new type of device will help prod software developers to create the types of enticing apps that boosted the appeal of the iPhone and iPad. That eases the burden of conceiving and delivering a killer feature from the get-go.

“This whole notion that there needs to be a killer app in an Apple product just isn’t true,” said J.P. Gownder, an analyst at Forrester Research. “For different people, different things will pop.”

One likely draw is Apple Pay, the company’s budding payment service. It allows shoppers to pay for goods by waving a mobile device in front of a card reader. Apple Pay is now limited to the latest iPhones, but the service will work through Apple Watch with older iPhones. Watch users will also be able to make small purchases without carrying an iPhone, such as when they’re out jogging and want a sports drink.

Some Watch functions rely on touch and feel. A motor will create vibrations, or taps, to relay information to the watch wearer. What’s more, users can perform different functions based on how hard they press the watch’s screen. Apple has said this will create a new, “more intimate” form of communication.

Apple began developing the watch about four years ago, with a focus on health and fitness. It’s not unusual for Apple to experiment with many technologies or shift focus during product development, but the watch was especially challenging, people familiar with the matter said. Internally, the project became known as a “black hole” sucking in resources, one of these people said.

Development languished because much of the health-sensor technology failed to meet Apple’s standards, these people said. Apple tinkered with sensors that measured the conductivity of skin, a concept used in polygraphs to gauge stress. The technology also showed promise for heart-rate monitoring such as an electrocardiogram, or EKG, these people said.

But these features didn’t perform consistently on some people, including those with hairy arms or dry skin. Results also varied depending on how tightly the person wore the Watch, they said. Instead, Apple opted for more pedestrian pulse-rate monitoring, these people said.

Apple also experimented with ways to detect blood pressure or the amount of oxygen in the blood, but the results were inconsistent. Moreover, if Apple interpreted the numbers to provide health or behavior advice, the company likely would have needed approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or other regulators.

These features were shelved for the first version of the watch, but they may be included in future models, the people familiar with the matter said.
Old 02-17-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the key to the article is that the watch will appeal to different people for different reasons.

For example I'm buying almost exclusively based on health and running features. But others my never use those features.

But I think it will be what people "initially" purchase it for. And then discover additional things. I anticipate that for myself. The key for me is how seemless the interaction is. I'm tired and annoyed at how cumbersome other devices are.
Old 02-17-15, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

I'm interested in the health features, but will use the ever loving fuck out of Apple Pay (as I already use it with my phone whenever I have the option and this will be even easier).
Old 02-17-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, I'm about to change banks. My current bank doesn't so Apple Pay. My credit card does, but I would much rather use my debit card directly.
Old 02-17-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys want a room?
Old 02-17-15, 08:17 PM
Banned by request

If we got a room how could jjcool hatesturbate to our conversation?
Old 02-18-15, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And just how many will be sold the first year? I've seen speculation from 12-25 million.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/tech/2015/...lion/23572373/

I think the 20m mark is a little high. Since it won't even be sold till April (start of 2nd Q) I think more in the neighborhood of 17-18m

Not sure how that will effect Apples bottom line. If all variations of the watch have the same profit margin (35%?), I think it will depend on how many of the expensive models they sell. It might take 10 sport models to equal the profit of a single Edition (gold).

Considering Peeble took two years to sell 1 million and Android has sold a total of 750,000....pretty impressive.

The other issue will be upgrade. iPad sales are down as people keep them longer than iPhone. I know I have. Starting with the iPhone 4, I've upgraded phones almost always on the day/week available. Yet I still use and older iPad (I never remember the iPad models, it was the one that was only around about 9 months. It has the HD screen but the old, larger charging/sync connection). And I have no plans of getting a newer model. Heck, I'm now looking more towards a Surface Pro as I no longer like to have both an iPad and Laptop and rarely travel with my laptop, but do at times wish I had it (mainly for photo editing).

Looks like the "initial run" will be 50% Sport and 33% for the mid tier (Apple Watch?)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6697464.html

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-18-15 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-18-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You have what apple called the new ipad. I have the same and don't really see a reason to upgrade yet. It is also commonly called the ipad 3.

Fyi, even the original ipad had an HD screen. The ipad 3 was the first to have a retina display though.

I also have the original surface pro which works great for my needs as well. Not looking to upgrade that either.
Old 02-18-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
You have what apple called the new ipad. I have the same and don't really see a reason to upgrade yet. It is also commonly called the ipad 3.

Fyi, even the original ipad had an HD screen. The ipad 3 was the first to have a retina display though.

I also have the original surface pro which works great for my needs as well. Not looking to upgrade that either.
Really? I know off topic, but how do you like the Surface? I really only use my laptop for photo editing. And really fairly light stuff, but more than I've been able to do on iPad. I'm seriously considering one, but at a grand a little steep.

And of course you are right. I meant mine had retina.
Old 02-18-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If we got a room how could jjcool hatesturbate to our conversation?
I wouldn't want to interrupt the fanboi mutual jerk session you two have going on here

Last edited by jjcool; 02-18-15 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
I wouldn't want to interrupt the fanboi mutual jerk you two have going on here
What was that about never calling him a fanboy?
Old 02-18-15, 01:08 PM
Banned by request

Here's John Gruber's take on the Apple Watch sales: http://daringfireball.net/2015/02/apple_watch_split

If Apple actually sells 1 million Edition units per quarter, and they sell for an ASP of $5,000, that’s $5 billion in revenue per quarter — just for the gold Edition models. If the ASP is closer to $10,000, which I still think is possible, double that.

3 million Sport units at $350 comes to “only” $1 billion or so. 2 million stainless steel regular units with a $1,000 ASP would be an additional $2 billion.

So as a business — if the WSJ’s sources are correct, and if Apple is correctly predicting demand — Apple Watch revenue will be dominated by the gold Edition units, accounting for double or more of the revenue from all the other models combined. The Edition models would thus do to the Apple Watch lineup as a whole what the iPhone, iPad, and Macintosh do to the entire phone, tablet, and PC industries, respectively: achieve a decided majority of the profits with a decided minority of the unit sales.
Old 02-18-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
What was that about never calling him a fanboy?
Actually jjool has provided a 2nd useful item (the first when he suggested I wore my iPhone on my forearm. Essentially trying to wear the iPhone as a watch when running - it failed for me, but it was a useful experiment).

The 2nd is he kept saying "fanboi". I assumed (wrongly) he was just misspelled or making fun of the name spelling or something.

But fanboi is an actual term. One I had never heard or seen before.

"Someone who is hopelessly devoted to something and will like anything associated with thier particular thing.

That damn fanboi only likes that game cause Capcom made it.

The only reason he bought that car is cause he is a Japanese fanboi."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...i&defid=159544

As for if I am one (not that I care if something thinks I am or not), but I cannot be a fanboi of Apple Watch. There is no Apple Watch to this point, so I assume that disqualifies it. As for fanboi of Apple, I think that clear (by this definition). While I have an iPhone 6, als I have an old iPad I see no reason to upgrade (regardless of what Apple tries to say) and I use a Windows Ultra-book because I think the Air is overpriced for what it is (regardless of what Apple says). I also have a very old small iPod (don't have any idea which one) that I keep in my gym bag as a back up or in case I want to run in the rain. But I haven't actually used in years, so I'm about to take out. I just have a full cover armband and fully waterproof armband for when it rains. Then I can still use my phone.

Though I'm very excited about the Apple Watch. More excited than when iPad came out (I didn't get one till the 3rd generation). But having said I'm excited, doesn't mean I will keep. As I listed several posts before, I have a list of non-apple alternatives if aWatch doesn't work out for me.

Until actually have one and see how it feels and works, my concerns are mainly around battery life. One design issue with aWatch is there is not really a way to add a 2nd battery or charge while using. I've seen several runners who run in marathons, have their iPhone connected to those small flashlight batteries to ensure they don't run out. They put it in the armband next to the phone. Or use a case with a built in battery. You can't do that w/aWatch.

It isn't unusual for me to work a 12 hour day and then go straight to the gym. So assuming I wear the watch 13 hours and then go to the gym or outside for a run, it will be interesting to see how the battery stands up. I travel with an extra charger that I set at my desk for my phone. I'm sure I'll need something like that for aWatch.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 02-18-15 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-18-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While the altered spelling, "fanboi," does have a history and etymology, I seriously doubt that has factored into jjcool's use of it. He clearly has a significant disdain for Apple, their products, and their customer base (which is somewhat surprising, considering his claim that he uses an iPhone).

My interpretation is that he is using the "i" spelling as yet another dig at Apple users. I base this on Apple's history of naming products with an "i", and jjcool's other predilection for calling the Apple Watch an "iwatch".

Of course, I am also certain that he will reply to my post with some scornful, deriding, hate-filled diatribe, but sadly (for him), I won't see it - unless one of you quote it. But please don't, as that kind of defeats the purpose of the wonderful "Ignore User" feature.
Old 02-18-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried to change the thread title as I created the thread before the official name came out. But I guess only a mod can change....
Old 02-18-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Really? I know off topic, but how do you like the Surface? I really only use my laptop for photo editing. And really fairly light stuff, but more than I've been able to do on iPad. I'm seriously considering one, but at a grand a little steep.

And of course you are right. I meant mine had retina.
At $1k, it is steep. But I saw the surface pro 2 256gb/8gb ram for $600 at best buy new the other day. Imo, a very solid deal.

I use it mostly for watching Netflix movies, which looks great btw, but occasionally I do use full Windows. A laptop with similar specs would be in a similar price range, if not more. The type keyboard is very shallow, though you can use any usb or Bluetooth keyboard. I don't have a laptop anymore and when my pc dies, I won't be replacing it. I don't use the pc much but when I need the larger screen and full keyboard, I can connect my monitor and usb devices to the surface pro.

I think of it as a jack of all trades. There are certainly better tablets out there and better laptops. But if you want an all in one device, then the surface pro is great.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.