Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Going all digital and leaving physical media behind

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-11-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Over the past year, I ripped my 500 CD collection to my computer. When we play music now, either in the house or in the car, it's through a phone or computer. I haven't bought a CD in over 5 years and can't remember the last time I played one.

I'm also able to watch movies & TV shows stored on my desktop (not to mention Netflix / Hulu) through my TV with just a few clicks on the remote. I've been ripping some of my most-watched discs for ease of viewing and now actually find it a bit of a hassle to fire up the disc player, wait for a disc to load, and get started.

So what I'm wondering is, what are the dangers of going all digital? Half of my library was purchased digitally already and while part of me likes having something tangible that I can play just in case, I'm just not doing it. I play most everything off the computer. Plus I figure in this day and age with cloud backups and multiple external hard drives, everything is backed up with very low risk of losing everything.

Am I wrong, naive? Should I be worried about an EMP or electronic attack that wipes out everything? Is there still something to be said for physical media? I'm interested in knowing if anyone here has gone all digital and what drawbacks they've encountered? OR are you apprehensive to go all digital, and why?
Old 09-11-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Going all digital and leaving physical media behind

Other than some potential DRM issues there aren't many big ones if you're downloading locally.

Now something like Vudu where you're relying on a central company could be problematic down the line, but for now it's just too damn convenient to ignore.
Old 09-11-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You definitely need multiple, redundant back-ups of the data if you're asking these questions.
Old 09-11-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do. I'm not too concerned with 'losing everything.' All of my music is also in the cloud, and my video content is not only on my desktop, but on 2 other HD. I looked into VUDU and signed up after RichC2's post (Thanks!). Looks like it's a good video fix.

I'm just at the point where I'd rather just just click remotes to get my stuff, than deal with discs that just take up space most of the time.
Old 09-11-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Vudu is running a deal where if you convert 10 or more of your DVDs into their online format from your house, you get 50% off. Valid through Jan 2014. Normally $5 to convert DVD to HDX (their super high quality format, some have 7.1 tracks), with that deal it's $2.50. Or $2 to convert blu to HDX, $1 with the 50% deal.

Otherwise you have to take the discs to Walmart to get the $2/$5 prices.

Just an FYI.
Old 09-11-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks again. They gave me 10 free uploads, so between that and the 10 or more deal, I'll be set.

Does VUDU or UV give you the special features available on the disc, or is it movie only. I'm thinking the latter, but you never know.
Old 09-11-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Services like Vudu can take any movie off-line at any time for any reason- they already did a couple years ago when Wal-Mart forced them to stop carrying adult movies after they bought the company. Besides, you can't hug your downloads!
Old 09-11-13, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They have some special features, but not disc exact.
Old 09-11-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just a curiosity question - how much HDD space are you using for all of the stuff you have ripped and stored?
Old 09-11-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For strictly throwaway or ephermeral purposes, I can see going all digital. However, for long-term preservation, I couldn't more adamantly disagree. As long as we stay with physical media, we (comsumers) remain in control. That media remains fully in our domain, not in some nebulous netherworld (ie, "the cloud", DRM-infested files, etc). So, I will continue to purchase physical media as long as possible, and save the digital conversion stuff for short term use like traveling or satiating the kids.
Old 09-11-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
For strictly throwaway or ephermeral purposes, I can see going all digital. However, for long-term preservation, I couldn't more adamantly disagree. As long as we stay with physical media, we (comsumers) remain in control. That media remains fully in our domain, not in some nebulous netherworld (ie, "the cloud", DRM-infested files, etc). So, I will continue to purchase physical media as long as possible, and save the digital conversion stuff for short term use like traveling or satiating the kids.
something like the above

I don't want to go all digital just yet. If I did, it would be private cloud that I control 100%, no way in hell I would go into some public cloud that can kill anything I OWN at any time for any reason and then tell me tough shit.

If you are doing it private style, just make sure you have backups THAT ARE 100% IN YOUR CONTROL and don't worry (too much)
Old 09-11-13, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
Just a curiosity question - how much HDD space are you using for all of the stuff you have ripped and stored?
As of now, I have about 500gb of music - which is all of my collection - and 300gb of video - maybe a fifth of my total, and is about 50 movies, mostly HD, and a dozen or so TV shows - in SD - that I have that lasted one season.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
something like the above

I don't want to go all digital just yet. If I did, it would be private cloud that I control 100%, no way in hell I would go into some public cloud that can kill anything I OWN at any time for any reason and then tell me tough shit.

If you are doing it private style, just make sure you have backups THAT ARE 100% IN YOUR CONTROL and don't worry (too much)
I understand what you're saying, but is there any precedent for these concerns? It seems like today, cloud storage is a revenue generator for companies so an outfit wouldn't simply close up shop and screw their customers. I would think it would be more likely that another company would buy them and just take over.

I think part of this is also I think I'm getting burnt out on acquiring objects. I ran a video store for years and amassed hundreds of VHS, add in the CDs and DVDs and I think I'm just over it all. It's far more appealing to me to just essentially watch something from my collection on demand.

I will always keep my digital content in the house on HD or what have you, but I do like having things in the cloud as a last resort.
Old 09-12-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sure, "the cloud" probably won't go away any time soon. However, as long as your files are stored there, "they" are in ultimately in control. They could say tomorrow, "OK, guys, we'll continue to give you your 5 gb free indefinitely, but from now on, we'll charge you $10 per GB per month over that limit." Or, "We see that you have some copyrighted material in the cloud. We are therefore denying you future storage in the cloud. This decision is final." Or, "We don't like your pink spots. You lose.", etc, etc.

The closest precident I can think of is bandwidth capping recently imposed by several broadband ISPs, ie advertising unlimited bandwidth for years, but then 'sneaking' in a cap in the amount of data allowed to be downloaded per month. In other words, they're firmly in control, and if you don't like it, BAM! No internet for you!
Old 09-12-13, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah, I see. Thanks.
Old 09-12-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

VUDU loses streaming rights to movies all the time. Each studio has contracts with various providers and some movies simply become inaccessible on the service for a certain period of time. All the digital providers have these problems, they are at the mercy of the content owners.
Old 09-12-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thankfully most are tied to Ultraviolet which works on a multitude of shite.
Old 09-12-13, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
VUDU loses streaming rights to movies all the time. Each studio has contracts with various providers and some movies simply become inaccessible on the service for a certain period of time. All the digital providers have these problems, they are at the mercy of the content owners.
Have there been any actual incidents when a movie that was purchased has been removed from someone's account?

It's my understanding that when a movie is pulled from Vudu, it's still on the servers for people that have already bought it. It's just not available on the site for new rentals/purchase.

I'm aware of a few incidents where movie owners were unable to watch a particular title on Vudu. But it was just a temporary database glitch that was fixed in a couple days.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 09-12-13 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Have there been any actually incidents when a movie that was purchased has been removed from someone's account?

It's my understanding that when a movie is pulled from Vudu, it's still on the servers for people that have already bought it. It's just not available on the site for new rentals/purchase.

I'm aware of a few incidents where movie owners were unable to watch a particular title on Vudu. But it was just a temporary database glitch that was fixed in a couple days.
I think you're right, plus you can download most Vudu movies on your PC.
Old 09-12-13, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Thankfully most are tied to Ultraviolet which works on a multitude of shite.
I love UV, but there are a couple problems with it.

Companies can pull UV rights. Wherever you redeem/buy the movie, you "own" it at that particular site. But if the UV rights get pulled, it's no longer available on other UV sites. So if you redeemed the code at Flixtser, you won't be able to watch it at Vudu. I've seen this happen, although I can't remember the titles off the top of my head.

When you get around 1,000 movies in your account, your only option to watch is Vudu. Flixster, CinemaNow, and the Official UV site become almost unusable. It can take 10-20 minutes for them to load your library. For some reason, Vudu is the only site that doesn't have a problem with huge libraries.
Old 09-12-13, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I think you're right, plus you can download most Vudu movies on your PC.
You can also download them on your PS3.
Old 09-12-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And various other things.
Old 09-12-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Physical media is not forever either, though. Besides the possible degradation of the media itself, at some point in the far flung future, they're going to stop making DVD players, and then how will you play your collection? Granted, that won't be for a while.

I've toyed with converting all of my DVDs, but I have a hard time balancing between disk space and quality, and also the time it takes to do so.
Old 09-12-13, 06:53 PM
Banned

I will always buy physical movies. Though, the last cd I bought was about 3 years ago. Before that, it was more than 10 years before that that I bought one. I found it incredibly expensive to buy an entire cd of worthless songs just to get one good one.
Old 09-12-13, 07:08 PM
Banned by request

This thread convinced me to set up a NAS, as I have a ton of data that's haphazardly backed up.
Old 09-12-13, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Subscribe to Rdio or Spotify. File management stinks.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.