Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help with Malware Ads

Old 07-24-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Help with Malware Ads

Somehow I got some kind of Malware that highlights words on webpages and then links an ad to it. It also pops up ads on a regular basis and consumes system resources. I have also noticed that text that I put on my "scratch pad" is sometimes unavailable when I try to paste it. And sometimes the return key does not work.

I ran malwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyWare and followed the instructions on this page:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...rm-or-malware/

I noticed some references to Sweetpacks in my programs so I followed the steps below. They included RKill, AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...tpacks-toolbar

I just finished the procedure and I haven't got any popups -- yet, but am still getting the highlighted text with links to ads. The system is also slow. Any suggestions on the next step or maybe an idea of the malware on my computer so I can do some research for a solution. I'm stumped.

TIA.
Old 07-29-13, 06:38 PM

Re: Help with Malware Ads

Depends on the page you are referring. Some pages use that as their form of advertising.

Did you run MalwareBytes from Safe Mode?
Old 07-29-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Help with Malware Ads

Originally Posted by Dogg View Post

Did you run MalwareBytes from Safe Mode?
This.

In addition, turn off System Restore and delete all previous restore points. Try using IOBit tools and Microsoft Security essentials as well as Malwarebytes. Be sure to run a full scan on Malwarebytes.

Check your task manager for any processes that are running that you do not recognize. Also try a different web browser as see if the same thing is happening. Have you updated your web browsers as well as your JAVA?